Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants vs Gardner

wizskinz

The regular season will tell the story. It will not be just catching and route running but the ability to consistantly block down field for Portis on running plays that will make or break Gardner. I have not heard or read anything anywhere that McCants is moving to number 2. Everything I have read is about him moving up to #3.

So far, Gardner has had major problems holding on to the ball and from what I have read has also been poor in sealing and blocking. He may be in danger. OTOH, Gibbs always sounds unhappy while discussing his team. He predicts struggle no matter what, but so far, I think Gardner has not shined. I think he is below 50/50 so far. McCants has looked good in the second halves of two preseason games. McCants and Gardner are similar sizes and could play similar roles as the possession Art Monk type.

After seeing 3 days of training camp, and 2 preseason games, McCants has done a much better job then Gardner so far.

They don't call Gardner "stone hands" for nothing. I've seen Gardner drop some easy passes, and he has cought some hard ones, but it seems that when ever they throw at McCants, it just sticks to him like glue.

I can see McCants as our #2.

Originally posted by Trevor

If Jacobs could stay healthy I can see him passing Gardner at some point for the #2 spot. I just don't see McCants as a #2 receiver.

Jacobs is in danger of not even making the team. He needs to get out on the field and play - make some plays. Right now it seems to be Coles, Gardner, Thrash, McCants as the top 4 and then the 5th spot is between Russell, Jacobs, Gari Scott (who's getting consideration b/c as a possible KR) and whoever else.

Jacobs will make the team. From the last game it appeared that they used him as the #4 receiver and McCants as the #5. Pretty sure Jacobs played in the 2nd quarter with Thrash and McCants came in afterwards but I could be mistaken.

Originally posted by swissarmy47

Jacobs is in danger of not even making the team. He needs to get out on the field and play - make some plays. Right now it seems to be Coles, Gardner, Thrash, McCants as the top 4 and then the 5th spot is between Russell, Jacobs, Gari Scott (who's getting consideration b/c as a possible KR) and whoever else.

Yeah Jacobs and Betts also I feel have talent but they're always hurt. Can't make the club in the tub. :lift: They need to shape up. :lift:

Why are people so high on Jacobs. He's brittle, he's a Gator, and he wasn't very impressive last year in preseason even before the injury. He's the 2nd coming of Jacquez Green. I'd love to be wrong about this, but I don't see him lasting more than another year on the team, let alone climbing up the depth chart. If we were gonna go WR w/ that pick, we should've taken Kelley Washington. Nobody wanted Jacobs except that brilliant judge of professional talent....Spurrier. Doesn't that raise a few red flags with anybody?

And don't give me the usual crap about the staff saying nice things about him during training camp. Everybody looks good in camp, and coaches say whatever they think will motivate a player the most. :doh:

In this little snippet from a Times article it would seem that Gibbs is pretty high on D-Mac.

Coach Joe Gibbs indicated wide receiver Darnerien McCants will have a significant role even if there seems to be little opportunity for him at the moment.

McCants is buried as the No. 4 receiver despite eight touchdowns on just 48 NFL catches. He scored again in Saturday's 23-20 overtime loss to the Carolina Panthers, hooking up with Mark Brunell for a 61-yard reception in the third quarter.

"The whole game, to be truthful, he really stepped up," Gibbs said of McCants. "There are some things there that we've been talking about with him. ... It's going to be very competitive there, but I think he stepped up and played well this week."

McCants, 26, signed a three-year, $4.5 million extension this offseason and was expected to reprise his 2002 role as the No. 3 receiver. But the Redskins traded for James Thrash, who sparkled in the public portion of training camp.

Yesterday Thrash sat out with a tight hamstring, which isn't considered serious. Regardless, McCants isn't worried about the depth chart.

"Whenever they think I'm ready, I'm going to be ready," McCants said. "I've proven that I can play."

Many are predicting a "breakout" year for Rod Gardner. I was one who always said "keep him" in all the Gardner-trade threads this off-season. Now I fear I was wrong. He seems the same as always. I don't see an improvement.

Are we going to watch McCants make these plays until we watch him walk out the door? Last year as the #3 or #4 option, he matched Coles in TDs! This preseason he has been our MOST effective weapon on offense.

It's Darnerien's time. :point2sky

Originally posted by panel

McCants needs to solidify #3 before he can take #2.

I might be one of the biggest McCants fans on this site considering we both attended the same college at the same time. McCants must solidify the number three spot first. I personally think he is a bigger threat at the 3 than the two. I've been watching DMAC play extended minutes in these preseason games and the other teams are doubling him. In the single coverage he is far better than the defensive matchups he's been receiving, but the doubles almost make him nonexistent. As the number two he would face doubles on a regular basis. Also I have noticed DMAC adding muscle to his frame. He is probably larger now than I have ever seen him and I've been watching him play for 7 years now. He is dedicated to working hard at his craft. I am starting to get this strange feeling that he is about to add more muscle in the offseason and come in with a semi-David Boston build, minus the BALCO...... If he does that he will be a monster. Gardner realizes each season new WR's come into the league and the ones that have been drafted recently are better than he. He will not seek Top receiver pay at the end of the year and will remain on this team if he masters the mental part of the game. If there is a WR that may see the door, it will be Jacobs. He's too injury prone. Though he is the perfect Coles clone in terms of size and speed.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

This is crazy put Gardner in the 4th quarter of the 1st pre season game and he would look like T.O. out there:doh: I swear this is almost as bad as the select few who said Start Timmy:laugh:

You may be right, but I'm having trouble ignoring McCants. I DON'T believe Timmy is the answer at QB.

I think Rod will improve in the Gibbs system. I think D Mac is more of a clutch, number three type, who makes light work out of nickel DBs. I think he would have a bit more trouble against a starting corner. I think Taylor Jacobs, IF healthy, could be the best of the lot....

Archived