Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants vs Gardner

wizskinz

I think McCants should be our #3, but it’s tough to say between him and Gardner. Gardner has more raw talent, but does not seem to want it as much as McCants. I’d like to see how McCants does against 1st string talent as the #2 for a bit.

Gardner will have a good year and then go get paid somewhere giving the #2 slot to McCants, who may just take it anyway- unless Rod's Clemson @ss can make a play in the remaining 3 games. Truth be told other than 1 Brunell to McCants TD pass nothing has looked good on O-and that can't be put on Gardner.

what i dont understand is why NFL coaches dont put their #1 offense and defense against the other teams backups during preseason. if you want to evaluate players (i.e McCants, Jacobs, Betts, etc.) and see if they are 1st string quality players, then play them against starters, not scrubs. not taking away from D-Mac, but he's shining against players that might not even play in the NFL. yeah i know that coaches want their 1st string to get prepared and used to playing for the real season, but atleast do it for half of the preseason. i would really like to see McCants playing against starters, the same goes for Jacobs and Betts.

I say give McCants his reps now. Gardner is obviously gone after this year. All he does is drop one after the other - it's no surprise he's nicknamed 50/50.

McCants just seems to have a nose for the end zone. Off the top of my head, he scored 18 TDs on his 36 catches his senior year in college. He already has 8 TDs in 40 something catches in his pro career.

I say start him and watch him score 10 Tds on 60 catches for about 850 yards. Works for me. :)

Originally posted by red zone

Gardner's play will improve in the Gibbs system. My knock on Gardner is he often loses focus and doesn't finish his routes. D. Mac. is a much headier player; very clutch, but not as fast. Perfect number three type player. :point2sky

I wouldn't go so far as to call a 3rd or 4th WR in the rotation a clutch player. Especially when there's no real pressure on him to perform week in and week out.

Originally posted by zipplug

Here's how I see it

1. Coles

2. Thrash

3. McCants

Gardner will be dealt before the regular season starts.

:puke:

What happened to our depth:puke: If it comes to Trash starting we are in bad shape. When the players talk such as Portis they say Rod and L.C.

Rods trade value is far less than his value to this team.

Originally posted by zipplug

Here's how I see it

1. Coles

2. Thrash

3. McCants

Gardner will be dealt before the regular season starts.

I agree with this man 110%. Could be the second coming of the original posse.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I expect a big season from both Gardner and McCants.

Gardner will be labeled the number 2 WR. He'll be out there in I-formations and what not. He will also have a pretty solid year. I can see between 60-70 catches for both he and Coles.

McCants will be the true number 3 and play basically the same role he did last year. Also as ASF has pointed out, he'll be brought in motion plenty and be used underneath. McCants is also going to be a key weapon in the red zone like Spurrier used him.

Both these guys will have solid years. A lot of people are going to be surprised by how well Gardner does in a professional offense

there is an intersting dynamic here, it seems to me that a lot of guys WANT Gardner out, or maybe more so, WANT McCants in.

It isn't like Gardner has been sucking, or costing us, and it isn't like McCants has been torching the feild.

On top of that, you look a lot better playing against a #3 corner than you do against a starter.

Originally posted by cphil006

Gardner hasn't done anything to justify being the #2 receiver.

Well, he has had a 1000+ yard season, that is good enough to justify being a #1.

Also keep in mind McCants isn't any younger than Gardner, infact Gardner is younger than McCants.

Archived