Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants vs Gardner

wizskinz

Originally posted by Skins24

It seemed like the only time Coles was really covered (double or triple) was when Brunell threw it to him. For the most part he was either single covered or wide open....

Mark needs to seriously look his way more.

Gardner looked alright out there. I had a feeling before the game started that he was going to get a lot of passes thrown his way, I thought that because he didn't do anything during preseason....

Gardner did everything he was supposed to do. He came up with huge, drive extending catches, and he blocked very well in the running game.

Coles was wide open going into the endzone on a PA pass that ended up going to (I think) Rasby in double coverage.

I don't know how anybody could be thrilled with Gardner's play today.

All the guy does is drop balls in key spots. And he almost cost us a time-out with his yelling to the sidelines for a challenge of a ball he clearly dropped.

If I'm Ol' Bug Eyes, I'm burning up the phone lines trying to move this guy for a DE before he loses any more trade value.

Originally posted by Danny Montana

I don't know how anybody could be thrilled with Gardner's play today.

All the guy does is drop balls in key spots. And he almost cost us a time-out with his yelling to the sidelines for a challenge of a ball he clearly dropped.

If I'm Ol' Bug Eyes, I'm burning up the phone lines trying to move this guy for a DE before he loses any more trade value.

Hmmm.....You must have watched a different game than I did. The game I attended Rod Gardner made some great catches. Yeah, he dropped an easy one at the very beginning of the game....but it was not a "key spot". He also made some incredible athletic grabs for balls thrown high and wide of him. And he made some great blocks on running plays.

Oh....Sonny, Sam and Larry all said that Gardner DID catch that ball. Sonny said his hand was clearly under the ball and the ball did not touch the ground. I couldn't tell from my seat in the stadium....but Sonny, Sam and Larry all agreeing doesn't happen often. (Well, Larry doesn't really count since it was his first game.)

McCants was not even activated for the game....that's how far down the depth chart he is. I don't think Gardner is going anywhere, especially the way he played in Sunday's game.

Interesting thread.....I was at the game and kept hollaring for Gardner to be benched in favor of McCants.

McCants was inactive for the game. I really don't get it. Having watched the two during games and in practice, I would give a huge nod to McCants over Gardner. Simply put, Gardner drops waaaay too many balls. He reminds me of Westbrook. One day, he's going to cost us a close game.

I don't recall ever seeing McCants drop balls or anything. I'm curious as to why Gibbs favors Gardner over McCants.

Hail,

H

Originally posted by HailSkinz1

I'm curious as to why Gibbs favors Gardner over McCants.

H

Uhh, because he's better.

I am starting to realize that Gardner will never earn some of you guys' respect....no matter what he does. He could have a good game (like Sunday), but, if he misses one pass it is magnified by 1000 by you guys.

Listen, no one catches 100 percent of their passes....NO ONE.

J. Shockey has been known to drop a few balls now and then, do the Giants fans call for him to be demoted??? I just don't get some of you guys.

Gardner is a great #2 WR, the coaches know it, I know it...but some of you fans are clueless.

Originally posted by Burgold

So far, Gardner has had major problems holding on to the ball and from what I have read has also been poor in sealing and blocking. He may be in danger. OTOH, Gibbs always sounds unhappy while discussing his team. He predicts struggle no matter what, but so far, I think Gardner has not shined. I think he is below 50/50 so far. McCants has looked good in the second halves of two preseason games. McCants and Gardner are similar sizes and could play similar roles as the possession Art Monk type.

Yep McCants certainely did look good in the 2nd half of preseason games when he was being covered by guys who are back at BK flipping burgers.

Oh yeah, just like last year when he looked good against nickel CB's and other assorted "extra" secondary personel....

Hmmm...meanwhile Gardner was the leading WR on the team against real first string CBs from a pretty nice defense.

Gee...let's all b*tch about how McCants should play more...:doh:

As a 3rd threat maybe....but McCants is not ready for real defensive pressure, if he was...he'd be in there.

Originally posted by Phat Hog

Knew this thread was going to raise it's ugly head! ;)

And it will so long as Gardner has 3 drops for every one catch. Yes, that was a great catch he had when we needed it, but damn, the guy drops a ton when we need them too.

The guy has to grab some pine and get McCants in there.

Bottom line on Gardner, he hurts us more than he helps us. McCants has not hurt us in the games he's played (speaking of last year of course).

Terrible game today, but we'll bounce back.

Hail,

H

I voted for Mccants earlier in this thread, so I'll stay true to that. As each week goes by Gardner gives me doubts about his ability. This guy has been in the league way too long to stilll be dropping passes the way he does. Granted that was one heck of a catch that he made on the deep ball, but that's "50" for ya. Great one play, lost his concentratration on the next. It's getting old folks.

Archived