Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network: Washington vs. Carolina 10.3.99

Dallsux

I am not missin' this game! This was a season breaker for us. Arrington showing MAD skillz!!! He really showed up that day! It airs @ 4:00pm.

Or am I thinking of a different game?

:panthersu :panthersu :point2sky :panthersu :panthersu :point2sky :panthersu :panthersu :point2sky

Originally posted by ntotoro

The game you're thinking of was during the 2001 season (the 'Skins first win). The '99 game was a pretty high-scoring one, IIRC. I want to say it was decided by a field goal or less... ?

Nick

I know we won the game because we didn't lose to them ever until Spurrier. All I know is, I'm watchin' it.

:cheers:

I was at that game. Tim Biakabutuka didn't play the second half for some reason. I can't remember if it was injury, or just rest. Biakabutuka must have had over 100 yards rushing in the first half, leading to a 21-0 lead. But, the Redskins came back to tie it at 35, and won on a Brett Conway field goal.

Carolina Panthers 21 3 3 9 36

Washington Redskins 0 28 7 3 38

Game Recap:

Washington matched the biggest comeback in the team’s history. The Redskins spent the first quarter trying and failing to catch Carolina’s Tim Biakabutuka. The RB scored on runs of 60, 1, and 45 yards as Carolina built a 21-0 lead in the first nine minutes of the game.

The Redskins recovered nicely, taking a 28-24 lead before halftime on Brad Johnson’s third TD pass of the second quarter, a 62-yard bomb to a wide-open Albert Connell. After another Johnson-to-Connell scoring connection built the lead to 35-24, Carolina clawed back into the lead. A pair of field goals and a touchdown pass gave the Panthers a 1-point lead halfway through the fourth quarter.

All seemed lost when Brian Mitchell fumbled after fielding a punt and Carolina recovered. However, the Redskins retained possession when replays revealed the Mitchell’s knee had hit the ground prior to the fumble. The Redskins took full advantage of their second life. Soon after Stephen Davis converted a fourth and one near midfield at the two-minute warning, Johnson found Michael Westbrook for 19 yards to the Carolina 12. Brett Conway’s game-winning 31-yard FG came with six seconds left.

Courtesy of Rich Tandler, author of "Redskins A to Z" and the new book "GutCheck"

Scoring Summary:

First Quarter

Car--TD T.Biakabutuka 60 run (J.Kasay kick), 3:22.

Car--TD T.Biakabutuka 1 run (J.Kasay kick), 5:08.

Car--TD T.Biakabutuka 45 run (J.Kasay kick), 8:59.

Second Quarter

Was--TD S.Davis 1 run (B.Conway kick), 1:34.

Car--FG J.Kasay 43 yards, 4:48.

Was--TD M.Westbrook 17 pass from B.Johnson (B.Conway kick), 6:30.

Was--TD M.Westbrook 11 pass from B.Johnson (B.Conway kick), 10:27.

Was--TD A.Connell 62 pass from B.Johnson (B.Conway kick), 12:27.

Third Quarter

Was--TD A.Connell 32 pass from B.Johnson (B.Conway kick), 4:39.

Car--FG J.Kasay 43 yards, 14:00.

Fourth Quarter

Car--FG J.Kasay 42 yards, 3:23.

Car--TD W.Walls 6 pass from S.Beuerlein (conversion failed), 7:03.

Was--FG B.Conway 31 yards, 14:54.

As I recall, George Siefert became a joke around the league that week for resting Biakabatuka for the entire second half. Tim had us dead to rights before that. We couldn't stop him. Nobody knew at the time why Siefert sat him down. Strange.

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

I am not missin' this game! This was a season breaker for us. Arrington showing MAD skillz!!! He really showed up that day! It airs @ 4:00pm.

Or am I thinking of a different game?

:panthersu :panthersu :point2sky :panthersu :panthersu :point2sky :panthersu :panthersu :point2sky

the arrington game was the one where they snapped the 5 game losing streak0-5 to5-0 2001 marty ball

Originally posted by Redskin11

Id rather watch the 01 game with Arrington intercepting the pass for a TD and at the end of the game everybody piled on Rod Gardner.:mad:

Yeah, but as good as that game was in 2001, this game in 1999 was much better

We were down 21-0 after one quarter, and then roared back with 28 2nd quarter points to take the lead, and we won in a last second FG at the end

That was such a good game. Man, I wish we had Stephen Davis under Gibbs. That was somewhat of a fun season. It was the only season since Gibbs that we made the playoffs. And I forgot about some of those guys. Rae Carruth? Wow! Who would've thought where he would end up...& his pregnant girlfriend, for that matter. What a jerk.:doh:

heh, i was surprised to hear about Rae Carruth as well, but what an arse to do that.

I remember how the tandem of Johnson, Davis, Connell, and Westbrook was one of the most feared that 99 season, sadly it was very short lived.

Very enjoyable game to watch back in 1999 and again as it was re-capped on NFL Network.

I noticed Rae Carruth has already been mentioned, but did anyone notice Fred Lane had a few carries that game?

On a more positive note, Michael Barrow played like a beast. I hope he can replicate that level of play this year!

I thought the strategy of letting Tim B. run himself out of the game was brilliant. We let him run so long and so fast in the first quarter that he was a non-factor the rest of the game.

Brilliant game plan, that.

Archived