Johnny Punani2

Position: Offensive Tackle/Guard

College: Notre Dame

Height: 6-6

Weight: 309

Hometown: Bethlehem, Pa.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

The former defensive tackle will be counted upon to man the demanding left tackle position as a senior … Moved to the offensive side of the ball as a sophomore, earning several starts towards the end of the 2002 campaign … Versatile blocker with experience at both tackle positions.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a thick, but firm midsection and hips … Displays good all-around muscle structure and has the frame that can add about 20 pounds with no lose in speed … Has wide, big shoulders and long arms … Shows good short-area quickness … Light on his feet, keeping a wide leg base to gain position … Makes good body adjustments on the move and is an effective pass protector who can sink his hips and drive defenders … Glides upfield adequately and has the ability to get the angle on the defender and seal the corner … Has the hip swerve to recover without losing his balance … Very active with his hands, going after defenders with aggression … Good with his kick slide, adjusting properly in the short area to prevent the outside penetration … Could shift inside to guard due to his ability to pull and lead around the outside as well as trap when redirecting.

Negatives: His quickness off the snap can be more effective (needs to play at a lower pad level as he tends to get a bit upright, preventing him from delivering explosion when coming up on the rise) … Has good leg strength as a drive blocker, but will overextend and lunge to make reach blocks when working in space … Better working on the outside, as he gets a little cross-legged when trying to make the inside cutoff … Can deliver a strong hand jolt when he keeps his arms in proper position, but needs to keep his hands inside the defender's chest to prevent penetration (awkward use of hands causes him to slip off blocks).

AGILITY TESTS

Timed at 5.01 in the 40-yard dash, 2.95 in the 20-yard dash, 1.88 in the 10-yard dash and 4.62 in the 20-yard shuttle … 7.62 three-cone drill time … 385-pound bench press … Bench presses 225 pounds 25 times … 500-pound squat … 32¾-inch arm length … 10 1/8-inch hands … Left-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Bethlehem (Pa.) High, competing in football for head coach Bob Stein … USA Today honorable mention All-America pick as a senior, recording 47 tackles (18 solos) with 1½ sacks, eight deflected passes and four batted passes in 1998 to help the team to a 7-4 mark … The three-year starter earned four letters in football as a two-way tackle, picking up first-team Associated Press big school all-state honors as both a junior and senior … One of five finalists for the Pennsylvania Lineman of the Year award as he recorded 46 tackles (17 solos), 2½ sacks, four stops for losses, 15 quarterback pressures and a pass deflection as a junior (named East Penn Conference outstanding offensive lineman that year) … Helped the team to the conference title as a freshman, competing as a tight end … Team captain as a senior, who was also a two-time all-conference and all-city selection … Named to 1998 all-area teams by both the Bethlehem Morning Call and Easton Express-Times … Chosen for McDonald's All-Star Classic … Attended Notre Dame summer football camp.

PERSONAL

Economics, Sociology and Computer Applications major, enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business … Oldest of two children of Denise and James Molinaro, Sr. … Born James Anthony Molinaro, Jr., on April 27, 1981 in Hatfield, Pa. … Resides in Bethlehem, Pa.

Somebody do a merge before the server explodes!!!!!

As for drafting another tackle, excellent. I say that because Gibbs is notorious for always having one player that could come in and contribute should there an injury or something. Our O-line is getting even deeper, and being that this isn't a good draft for d-linemen I wouldn't be suprised if we are going after a veteran.

Its all good.

Looks like we're trying to assemble depth along the O-line. I'm guessing that these are both "team" players and will most likely serve as utility lineman, stepping in at either OT or OG.

From a salary standpoint, these selections could spell the end for players like Dave Fiore and Larry Moore. Both have injury concerns and have 2004 base salaries of 1mil plus. Just a guess though.

I like it too. I'm probably in the minority with that view. I remember what the oline was like in the 80's. There was more than one year where the 'skins were decimated on the line by the playoffs. They always managed to have some replacement gigantor that always seemed to hold his own.

HOGS, Baby!!

Originally posted by New

I like it. It all starts with THE O LINE!!! The rebuilding of the HOGS is underway, with depth for the future!!! And from the Fightin Irish to boot! HTTR!

We already have a ton of money tied up into the O-line between Samuels, Jansen, and R. Thomas, and Fiore. Add, Dockery, Raymer, Friedman, Winey, and Kenyatta to that and I'd say we were already set at o-line. Fiore may retire but Dockery is more than capable to take over his spot. These picks only make sense if we plan on trading Samuels, why else would we need 6 tackles?:gus:

The same people complaining about taking two O-Linemen would have been the same people who would have complained in 1981, if they had been born, when the Skins used a 3rd round pick on a O-Lineman when they had already selcted a O-Lineman in the 1st round. Oh, those two O-Linemen were Mark May and Russ Grimm.

People that are sweating Gibbs choice on 5th and 6th round picks need to let go a bit. I could understand questioning round 1 or round 2 prospects as everyone has at least some understanding of the players' strengths and weaknesses. But, come on. Most of you don't even know who these guys are, or have noticed them playing. Lighten up.

In other news, DeMarco McNeil, DT, Auburn must have tested positive for a fragile spine or drugs to have fallen this far.

Originally posted by BigBCherney

The same people complaining about taking two O-Linemen would have been the same people who would have complained in 1981, if they had been born, when the Skins used a 3rd round pick on a O-Lineman when they had already selcted a O-Lineman in the 1st round. Oh, those two O-Linemen were Mark May and Russ Grimm.

I was born dude. I ain't complaining, but I can see the frustration.

Perhaps they see down the road a bit better than we do. I cna't remember exactly how much longer jansen is locked in for, but Winey showed he can play, might not start this year, and could be trade bait. Same with Samuels. Maybe that is the situation.

Also, with the way that line performed last year, perhaps Gibbs is just not happy with the situation on the line and has no one penciled in as a starter, except maybe Jansen.

Archived