Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Male Voice in our lifetime

Luca Brasi

Originally posted by webnarc

Rush's Geddy Lee and Janes Addiction's Perry Ferrell. There's something about singing notes that high and that clean that makes you hear every word like it's coming from God.

Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl. Kurt was what I call the heroin voice, singing so passionately without regard for what it's doing to the vocal cords (listen to Billie Holiday or STP's Scott Weiland). Dave almost has that voice, and it's without the smack.

Leonard Cohen cause he's Canadian, and he sounds like a rummy.

Personally, I can't stand Geddy Lee, but Perry Ferrell is great.

You want to hear a falsetto that can really hit every note? Give a few of these tracks a listen:

The Noose

3 Libras

Pet

Also,

The reason I put Prince is because I wanted someone who could do "pretty singing" AND rock-out and pop singing.

There are some GREAT rock vocalists out there, but how well would they fit RnB and how well would Luther fit rock?

Is there anyone that jumps out at you that could be great at both? Not saying there aren't, but I'm drawing a blank other than Prince.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

Personally, I can't stand Geddy Lee, but Perry Ferrell is great.

You want to hear a falsetto that can really hit every note? Give a few of these tracks a listen:

I didn't know that I was listen to A Perfect Circle before.

Definetly worth listening to a couple of times. Thanks Mufu :cheers:.

Hands down, Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, The Firm, The Law)

Most incredible voice rock ever produced.

Very honorable mention to Burton Cummings of the Guess Who.

Otis Redding had incredible soul. When he wasn't doing cheesy puffball bubblegum or lame-ass disco, Marvin Gaye put together some great vocal performances in the late 60's/early 70s (What's Going On, Mercy Mercy Me, and Let's Get It On).

This is a tough thread. Too many different styles to pick just one.

Rock singers:

Steve Perry: Does this man have any testosterone? Incredible range. Could you imagine being able to sing like that??

Freddie Mercury: No explanation needed.

Layne Staley, Chris Cornell(a very close friend of freddie mercury) and Pery Ferrel (Janes Addiction)

Elton John: Another that needs no explanation.

Pop Singers:

Seal: Never heard anyone like him and probably never will again.

Blues or Motown:

Barry White: Hands down the greatest "sing from your balls" vocalist ever!

Now here's where you have all missed the boat!!! Regardless of the fact I've really never been a fan of his music, his vocal ability is undeniable.

George Michael: One of the most powerful voices, with the complete range, that you will find anywhere!!! Oh what a straight man could do with that voice.

Originally posted by essex03

Umm, I believe you are all incorrect.

There is only one voice thats head and shoulders above the rest, and that one voice belongs to:

John Facenda. :cool:

Now heres a man that has a football mentality. Facenda was the first thing that came to my mind and I couldn't believe it was three or four pages into the thread before he was mentioned. I don't really think any male singers voice is as powerful too me as Facenda's or James Earl Jones. I'm biased toward the NFL Films voice...even Harry Kalas. Summerall has that monotone booming football voice too.

Everybody has pretty much covered the best but some of my personal favorites with great voices that nobody has mentioned yet are Bing Crosby (especially his early stuff), Bobby Darin and Mario Lanza.

Bobby Darin was pretty versatile when you think about it and Mario had such a strong, yet at times, smooth voice. He was also a favorite of Elvis.

Another guy many of you probably never heard of was Irish tenor Frank Patterson. I have a couple of his albums as well.

I really think William Hung is the finest male vocalist of our times. :silly:

Ok, seriously my top three are.

1. Luciano Pavoratti (listen to him sing "Nessun Dorma" and you will know what I'm talking about)

2. Elvis Presley (could sing any style, and could sing it well)

3. Frank Sinatra

As for my Hard Rock and Metal singers, several are great, the best being.

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

Rob Halford (Judas Priest, this guys range is unreal)

Sammy Hagar (Great voice for Van Halen)

Steve Perry (Legendary Journey vocalist)

James Hetfield (Tallica!!)

Sully Erna (Some people question Godsmacks originality, but I love em, great straightforward Hard Rock GROWL!)

Geddy Lee (Prog Rock, Genre Defining vocalist)

All have very different styles, but are great in their own way.

My :2cents: :cheers:

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Nat King Cole

Teddy P.

I can dig that, and how about Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, and Barry White.

It's really impossible to declare one top male vocalist of all time, because there are so many different styles, and periods in music. I mean how could you ever compare Barry White to Bruce Dickinson, or Teddy Pendergrass to Pavoratti. Elvis to Frank. It's impossible.

If you wanna talk about the male vocalist that helped the most men get laid over the years, it's gotta be Barry!

:cool: :)

Archived