Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Male Voice in our lifetime

Luca Brasi

I can't believe no one has mentioned William Hung! :laugh:

In music, I'm impressed with Josh Groban. I've become big fan of his, because this guy can flat out sing!

My all time favorite...Frank Herzog belting out "Touchdown Washington Redskins"

Francis Albert Sinatra

Nat King Cole...Stardust is great

Johnny Mathis

Josh Groban..My 9 yr old daughter was in a school play of Wizard of oz and before the play they had a video montage of all the work they put in to the production..rehearsel outakes etc and it was set to that song "You lift me up" Wasnt a dry eye in the house.

Louis Armstrong

Jeff Buckley has the best voice I've ever heard. Maynard James Keenan is just amazing. Cornell is still great. Layne Staley was my favorite though. Listening to "Nutshell" unplugged (#1 on the cd) is just haunting. I read on mtv that the remaining Alice In Chains members might get back together. While I don't have a problem with Cantrell's voice, it'll just never be the same.

Known around the world by his first name only....Elvis.

Not only did he have the best "pipes" of our time,he also could sing any style of music.

He also, wore the "bling bling" before there was such a thing.

Broke all the barriers concerning live and TV performances.

It still amazes me today how all of today's pop stars and other entertainers put on such elaborate shows. Piro-tech,swinging from the stages in harnesses,etc. And to think it all got started by a country boy from Mississippi who swiveled his hips when he sang..... :)

OK.

My small list:

Marvin Gaye

Elvis

Ray Charles

Otis Redding

Elton John

If there were only 1 singer or group I had to listen to for the rest of my life, I would say....Boys to Men or the Righteous Brothers. (Name a woman who won't let you have your way with them if the song Unchained Melody comes on. OK. Maybe it is just ME who will let you have your way. :laugh: )

;)

Blondie

Well, my personal favorite is Mandy Patinkin.

(For those of you saying "Who?", I suspect his biggest credit is as Che in the original Broadway cast of Evita. He also does a lot of non-singing acting, my favorite was as Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride.)

I'd also list Elvis, and Barry Gibb.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Known around the world by his first name only....Elvis.

Not only did he have the best "pipes" of our time,he also could sing any style of music.

He also, wore the "bling bling" before there was such a thing.

Broke all the barriers concerning live and TV performances.

It still amazes me today how all of today's pop stars and other entertainers put on such elaborate shows. Piro-tech,swinging from the stages in harnesses,etc. And to think it all got started by a country boy from Mississippi who swiveled his hips when he sang..... :)

I fail to see how the facts that he's known around the world by his first name only, that we wore "bling bling", and broke barriers with live performances has anything to with his voice. While, I disagree that he's the best, he has a pretty good voice so I won't call the opinion stupid.

Originally posted by Mr. Nostril

I fail to see how the facts that he's known around the world by his first name only, that we wore "bling bling", and broke barriers with live performances has anything to with his voice. While, I disagree that he's the best, he has a pretty good voice so I won't call the opinion stupid.

That's cool Mr Nostril. Just threw in those other points for conjecture. Quite simply,Elvis broke down barriers making it easier for others to follow.

As far as voice goes..great topic for debate. To each his own.:)

Originally posted by Blade

I can NOT believe no one said Robert Plant. Roberts range, creativity, and control of his early days is one of the most spine-tingling male voices I've ever heard.

Led Zeppelin is still considered one of the greatest bands of all time because of that voice far more IMHO than because of Page's guitar work (which was pretty phenominal too).

To add a few more:

Lead singer of Sound Garden (Chris Connell?)

Lead Singer of Alice in Chains (unplugged album was incredible)

Elton John - fantastic diversity, control and creativity

All of the dudes in the Temptations

John Anderson of Yes

Lead singer of Rush

Originally posted by codeorama

Great post... I agree with you.

IMO, Led Zep is the greatest band of all time because all four musicians can easily be argued to be the best at what they do. If you listen to John Paul Jones bass work, you will realize fast how good he was, and everyone of course considers Bonham as the best, if not one of the best drummers...

Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley was awsome, too bad he had the drug addictions, they are IMO one of the best bands of their short time as well. I still listen to their cd's regularly.

Personally, I really like Maynard James Keenan of Tool. He's creative and sounds great.

Plant was always the guy I believed to have one of the greatest voices around, then I seen the Freddie Mercury tribute concert, Plant did Inneuedo (sp?) and he couldn't match Freddie's range or power.

Don't get me wrong, he did a decent job, but the only person who got anywhere near his vocal range that day was Annie Lennox.

Freddie gets my vote in case you hadn't guessed :silly:

Originally posted by Blade

I can NOT believe no one said Robert Plant. Roberts range, creativity, and control of his early days is one of the most spine-tingling male voices I've ever heard.

Led Zeppelin is still considered one of the greatest bands of all time because of that voice far more IMHO than because of Page's guitar work (which was pretty phenominal too).

To add a few more:

Lead singer of Sound Garden (Chris Connell?)

Lead Singer of Alice in Chains (unplugged album was incredible)

Elton John - fantastic diversity, control and creativity

All of the dudes in the Temptations

John Anderson of Yes

Lead singer of Rush

Plant would be #2 with me as "best" voice, #1 for "favorite". Plant rocks.

:cheers:

Let me also add under the general heading of great singers...

Sting

I'll throw in another name here, James Hetfield, at least in the "heavy metal" category. His voice was one of the main attibutes to Metallicas success, most other metal singers just scream, Hetfield sings, and when he tones it down on stuff like Fade To Black and Nothing Else Matters his voice really shines.

Rush's Geddy Lee and Janes Addiction's Perry Ferrell. There's something about singing notes that high and that clean that makes you hear every word like it's coming from God.

Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl. Kurt was what I call the heroin voice, singing so passionately without regard for what it's doing to the vocal cords (listen to Billie Holiday or STP's Scott Weiland). Dave almost has that voice, and it's without the smack.

Leonard Cohen cause he's Canadian, and he sounds like a rummy.

As someone who listens to a variety of music. I mainly listen to country, although I do enjoy all kinds of music EXCEPT RAP. here is a small list of my favorites:

JOE DIFFIE- country- incredible vocal range

ALAN JACKSON-country

JAMES TAYLOR-rock

GEORGE STRAIT- country

ELVIS PRESLEY-rock

GEORGE JONES- country

RANDY TRAVIS-country

DEAN MARTIN-easy listening

STEVE PERRY-rock

LUTHER VANDROSS-r&b

HANK WILLIAMS-country

STEVEN TYLER-rock