Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Male Voice in our lifetime

Luca Brasi

I can NOT believe no one said Robert Plant. Roberts range, creativity, and control of his early days is one of the most spine-tingling male voices I've ever heard.

Led Zeppelin is still considered one of the greatest bands of all time because of that voice far more IMHO than because of Page's guitar work (which was pretty phenominal too).

To add a few more:

Lead singer of Sound Garden (Chris Connell?)

Lead Singer of Alice in Chains (unplugged album was incredible)

Elton John - fantastic diversity, control and creativity

All of the dudes in the Temptations

John Anderson of Yes

Lead singer of Rush

Originally posted by Blade

I can NOT believe no one said Robert Plant. Roberts range, creativity, and control of his early days is one of the most spine-tingling male voices I've ever heard.

Led Zeppelin is still considered one of the greatest bands of all time because of that voice far more IMHO than because of Page's guitar work (which was pretty phenominal too).

To add a few more:

Lead singer of Sound Garden (Chris Connell?)

Lead Singer of Alice in Chains (unplugged album was incredible)

Elton John - fantastic diversity, control and creativity

All of the dudes in the Temptations

John Anderson of Yes

Lead singer of Rush

Great post... I agree with you.

IMO, Led Zep is the greatest band of all time because all four musicians can easily be argued to be the best at what they do. If you listen to John Paul Jones bass work, you will realize fast how good he was, and everyone of course considers Bonham as the best, if not one of the best drummers...

Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley was awsome, too bad he had the drug addictions, they are IMO one of the best bands of their short time as well. I still listen to their cd's regularly.

Personally, I really like Maynard James Keenan of Tool. He's creative and sounds great.

As for best voice Im gonna go with the new and rising star Josh Groban. That man has the most incredible pure voice.

For those who dont who Im talking, he did the song at halftime of the Superbowl giving Tribute to the Space Shuttle. "You raise me up"

Lot of good ones listed. Let me add Patsy Cline and Roy Orbison. Also "Off the Wall" era Michael Jackson, Andrea Bocelli.

I just "discovered" someone that you should all check out. His name is Angie Aparo. Talent like this is rare, he might be one of the best singers I've ever heard. I just ordered all of his albums from Amazon. Go to his site and check out the 'songs' area if you have the time...

http://www.angieaparo.com/main.html

Listen to his version of Spirit's "Nature's Way".

My best

Steve Malkmus - Pavement

Frank Black - Pixies

Sage Francis

Tom Waits

Jeff Buckley

Rivers Cuomo(not a weezer fan, but the guy has a sweet voice)

Guy Picciotto - Fugazi

Eric Clayton - Savior Machine

Keep in mind I was very limited by the fact that you said my lifetime, which means nothing earlier than May 2, 1983. I decided to count Tom Waits because even though he was around well before I was born he did his best work when I was very young. Swordfishtrombones came when I 4 months old and Rain Dogs came when I was 2.

I'm going to argue only because you asked me not to

Freddie Mercury is a much more technically proficient singer than Chris Cornell (Cornell knows what he's doing though, I just hate audioslave).

Sinatra isn't Jazz

Marvin Gaye is signifcantly better than Barry White

I don't know enough about opera to say anything

Depends what do you consider our lifetime??

I think in todays world one of the best voices is Harry Connick Jr, no one else sounds like him :cheers:

If you count all the way back to the 50's and 60's then you would have to start with Sinatra, Elvis, etc...

Originally posted by Mr. Nostril

My best

Steve Malkmus - Pavement

Frank Black - Pixies

Sage Francis

Tom Waits

Jeff Buckley

Rivers Cuomo(not a weezer fan, but the guy has a sweet voice)

Guy Picciotto - Fugazi

Eric Clayton - Savior Machine

Keep in mind I was very limited by the fact that you said my lifetime, which means nothing earlier than May 2, 1983. I decided to count Tom Waits because even though he was around well before I was born he did his best work when I was very young. Swordfishtrombones came when I 4 months old and Rain Dogs came when I was 2.

I forgot about Jeff Buckley! His voice was something else.

Originally posted by jbooma

Depends what do you consider our lifetime??

I think in todays world one of the best voices is Harry Connick Jr, no one else sounds like him :cheers:

If you count all the way back to the 50's and 60's then you would have to start with Sinatra, Elvis, etc...

jbooma,

I've seen him twice, once at the Kennedy Center and once at Wolftrap. His dad was in the audience at Wolftrap and came up to do a couple songs. It was a great show, and you're right, he's one of the only guys that can perform that style of music nowadays.

Archived