Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1000 posts and a lesson.

Renegade7

Hold the :applause: please. Thank you. Yes after 8 months of bashing my head against the wall, bashing people period, laughing for no reason, yelling for many reasons, learning something new and losing something old, I've finally reached 1000 posts. This won't be long, and its not a farwell speech( even tho i know atleast some of ya'll are wishing it is:mad: ). I just want to say a few things. I want to say thank you to two life altering individuals, and leave you with a little bit of knowledge that was not only passed on to me, but i want to share with you.

Two individuals. I'd like to give my full hearted thank you's to these two. One gave me the knowledge, the other forced me to figure out how to use it.

My father, is by far the greatest father to ever walk the face of the Earth. If you knew him just half as well as I do, or just sat down to listen to him speak, you unanimously agree. He's been through a lot, much of which i didn't even exist yet to go through with him. But everytime I've done something wrong, he teaches me to do right. He taught me the true value of your word, of family, of life.

He taught me understand that a true friend is not someone u just play games and have fun with. He helped me realize that the true friends are the one's that want your respect, and in before they even want it, give you their's. A true friend is someone you can whole-heartedly trust, no questions asked. A friend is someone who you know for a fact has your back, through rain, sleet or snow, just as definitivly as you have their's. A friend doesn't have to be a direct mirror image of yourself, just someone who understands where your coming from and actually cares about any word that comes out of your mouth. Needless to say, i don't have a "boatload" of friends. But thanks to his words, I'm just as happy with what i already have. True friends. That's what my father is. A mentor, a leader, and a true friend.

He taught me to be a man, and in turn i treat him like one. He's always had my back, and never left it. And when i felt that i could not go any further, he picked me up and carried me. In turn, i always did the same for him. We've made our mistakes, I can't lie about that. :) But we've forgived each other and learned from each other each and everyday. Everytime i talk to him, i learn something new. That, is a gift that unfourtanatly has gone unnoticed for too long. Thank you, Dad, and even if no one else knows it, i wish there more people like you in the world. On the calender, you may have to wait another month or too for anyone who doesn't know you to respect that. But for the record, to me, everyday is Father's Day.

I can only name one other person who's had close to the kind of impact on my life as my dad has. He knows who he is, and i'm not goin to embarrase him by pointing him out to the world. Once upon a time, i was a child filled with an uncanny amount of insight on the world and to many an uncanny talent in writing. At the time, I didn't know exactly how to use this insight or talent for anything of any use. I was still planning on growing up to be a football player. :doh: Time flys, don't it?

One day, I did something that I not only regret, but i promised never to ever ever do again: opening my mouth before opening my ears. It cost me, needless to say, because not only did this individual point it out, he killed me with words alone. Flat out embarrassed me. I didn't know what to say, and without thinkin, overcome but immature rage, i said something that i had no business saying. And this guy did something amazing. He brushed the words off like a winter coat in July and slaughtered me with not insults, but a bomb of unanswerable knowledge. What he did was prove to me that the sticks and stones crap that my mamma used to tell me was absolute BS. Words, if used the right way, can be truelly beautiful or truelly, blood boiling hurtful. That moment totally changed my life, and view on it.

Words, if used the right way, could actaully be used to spread knowledge. WTF am i talking about u ask? Words if used the right way can explain reason, can spread truth, can actually change peoples view. Words, if used correctly, can open a person's mind, and cause them to want to learn more. That's exactly what happend to me. I wanted to not only learn more, but to share that knowledge with other people. To open their minds like my did. To remove the smokescreen of bias, and grow the hell up. I had the talent, when used correctly, to spread that knowledge to others. Some people don't like it, while others embrace it. Either way, my knowledge gets to them.

I came to realize exactly what it was i wanted to do with my life. Share this knowledge, this truth, the real world with other people. Thur my writing. I want to be a writer, and many ask me what took me so long to come to this desicion. I tell them it was two individuals. One who showed me the door, one showed me how to open it, and without them i wouldn't even know the door had existed.

This is to my father and the "anomyous user". The only way i know how to possible repay u is to show u the same respect and truth that you gave me. Thank you both of you.

And this is my gift to you. A symbol of what u helped create, plus a lesson that without your help, i would to this day not fully understand. A poem and a poem. A truth, and a lesson.

:applause:

This is to you both.

The Thief

Once a man found that his axe was missing, and suspected his neighbour's son of having taken it. Observing the youth walking around, the man was convinced that his was the walk of a thief. The youth looked like a thief and talked like a thief; everything he did pointed to his having stolen the axe.

Then one day the man happened to find his missing axe. After that, he noticed his neighbour's son wasn't behaving like a thief anymore.

By: Lieh-tzu

Currently "untitled" and a semi-finalist in the Poetry.com Poetry contest. This lil number is being published as we speak in a $70 book of the best poems they've ever been sent. It's copywrited so if u still this i'll hunt you down beat u myself.:mad: Seriously. This poem means so much to me, one because it is me in a nutshell and two it wouldn't exist for if it wasn't for two great men above.

"Imaginary Title- Ode to the Renegade"

I traveled to the valley with one purpose in mind:

to escape this relapsed, brash moment in time.

I asked for a reason to keep fighting, a reason to keep trying,

A reason for not dying, or worse falling in line.

To push past the shadows of death, for any reason to fear no evil.

To suppress my internal destruction, and for emotional upheaval.

I asked for a purpose, instead he gave me a sign.

Wise words from the sky that were beautifully divine.

There are those that fall for no reason, some have no reason to fall.

You can die for a purpose, or for no purpose at all.

Peace out ya'll, remember tommorrows Friday. :D

NOTE: THIS IS AN ORIGINAL PIECE WRITTEN AND TAKEN CREDIT FOR BY MYSELF, RENEGADE7, AND NO ONE ELSE. COPYCATS OR THEIVES WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT. SURVIVERS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN...

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Great post, Renegade.

As someone who's a professional writer himself, let me tell you: it's a long, hard road, but it's worth every step of the way. :)

I'll take your word on that. :) I'll have set an idea for my first novel. Workin on the blueprints. No more hints though.;) Wish me luck!

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Good luck! And rereading my previous post, I'm increasingly of the opinion that you shouldn't trust a self-professed "writer" who leaves such horrible dangling participles in his prose. :doh:

I'll be sure to remember that. :laugh:

Originally posted by TC4

Congrads on 1000 posts

And those hasd BETTER be root beers you are toasting there young man

:jk:

:D No comment. J/K. Lets just pretend its orange soda for now. Root beers sooo good, but orange soda is that much better. Besides, i'm a good little boy. :shhh:

Originally posted by Skinderella

You're 15? Nice post, man.

Renegade,

For what it's worth, this is the comment in this thread that should mean the most to you. Surprise you are 15. Someone read what you put together and was taken back that you are young. There was a time here that your age stood out and it wasn't in a good way to be honest.

You knew simply looking at two lines how old you were and where you were in life. I'll say I do think you are in a different place today. The beauty of a message board community is it challenges many of us -- with the notable exception of JB -- to improve as writers if not men.

You may have the much more rare experience of improving as a man as well. Something of a growing up before our very eyes. As AtB said, being a writer is something of a difficult journey. No longer do people appreciate the craft or feel the power of well constructed thoughts.

We're the MTV generation, playing video games and cell messaging people with cutesy sub dialects. It's simply easier to leave caps out of your writing when speaking on e-mail or a message board.

I am no longer a writer by trade. What I find sad is the power of words is lost on many. But it isn't lost on you and for that, you are a better, smarter person than most of those around you. Just not than me :).

My own small piece of advice....spend some significant time over the next several years working on your spelling, proper sentence construction, punctuation. It sounds less than critical these days, but trust me, people will ALWAYS judge you by how you use language, both orally and your written word. Its great that you've got some innate ability, and some creative spark. But as you get older, attend a good university (with luck), you'll be shocked to find that world is full of folks just as bright, creative, and talented as yourself. Its how hard you work and how much you perservere that will separate you from many many others. I'd be the last to claim my spelling, sentence structure, etc..is perfect. However, I've read voraciously my entire life, and worked hard to be able to write and convey a coherent thought or two.

If you want to be a writer, or to be an effective communicator in ANY chosen field, mastering the written word (including tedious things like using words correctly, having a varied vocabulary, and spelling correctly) is very important.

Lectures over. Congratulations on your 1000th. :cheers:

Archived