Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What performance is necessary for you to change your mind?

Art

I'm a huge believer in making judgements when something happens and not applying hindsight to modify the judgement later. So, I agree with everyone that it is a bad trade for us to have to give up the No. 2 pick for Portis in the Bailey deal.

Nothing Portis can do, ever, can change that. If Portis rushes for 2,000 yards four times for us, it won't change that. Today, right now, it's a bad deal and today is when the judgement matters.

That said, what is the level of performance you'd need from Portis to not really care about the bad trade that got him? If he does rush for 1,700 yards with 18 TDs next year, are you going to worry over the No. 2 pick?

A lot of moves this team has made have been good moves when we've made them, but then we look back and see a lack of success so we apply new judgements, ignoring some facts, and say it was bad.

A prime example is the Stephen Davis contract. This was a wonderful deal for the team AND the player. It was a legitimate compromise that protected the team against a one-year wonder possibility and it protected the player if he could build on his success. The deal was crafted to ASSURE neither the player nor the team had to be stuck in a bad deal and that a renegotiation would be required.

Yet, many ignorantly say it was a bad contract when it played out exactly how we all knew it would and mostly approved of it when it was signed.

Some moves we make end up successfully and we are happy about the moves, but, because of a lack of other success with the team we apply hindsight that ignores the facts to our views. The 2000 offseason is a perfect example of this.

We finished 1999 as the No. 2 offense and No. 30 defense. We spend free agent dollars on defense and largely leave the offense alone. We improve to No. 4 on defense. A remarkable success. We start 6-2 before injuries on offense killed us, yet in hindsight, everyone likes to pretend we did a bad thing in 2000 and that we lost chemistry.

Some moves just suck, though we are for them when they are made. Like Stubblefield.

Portis, I think, has the potential to be the first move we are largely against that works out so that we apply a different measure to it in a few years. What level of performance is required to make that happen, or, at least to make it no longer matter?

I'd be happy with say 1200 and 10 TD, to be honest. I rather lose the pic getting a proven player even if it's overspending a little. Better yet, I'd be happy with a real running game of any sort after the past two seasons.

While it would have been nice to have gotten Portis in a straight up trade, I'm not freaked over it.

Two things would tell me good deal in hindsight.

1. A Super Bowl Victory with Portis at least a candidate as MVP for the team for the year. That's our goal after all.

2. No hindsight what if's with that second pick. Looking back three or four years from now at a Pro Bowler we could of picked up with that pick.

I agree with Art I am not against throwing the 2nd round pick to get a player of this caliber. He is a top 5 maybe top 3 back in the NFL and he is only 22 years old :cheers:

Think about this if Champ and Portis both sign a 7 year deal, at the end Portis is still not even going to be 30 and champ will be pushing 32 or 33.

If we want to be a great team, we have to make sacrifices. Exibit A: our draft picks. In all technicality this could be our draft this year:

first round: Sean Taylor

Second Round: Clinton Portis

Third Round: Mark Brunell

and fifth: whatever whatever, blah blah

Point is, this is what we asked for. A championship team. We are well on the way to getting that, so how we get there is irrelevant.

-----------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

For me if Portis simpy continues his current production and stays relatively healthy I'd say we came out on the better end of things. The effect Portis would have on the rest of our offense(assuming he continues the same production) would be incredible. He will make the rest of the offense better. Champ never did that for our D.

Stay healthy.

If we'd been offered this kind of deal for Edgerrin James after his 2nd year, we'd be thinking we were getting the steal of the century. And in hindsight, we would've been wrong. With everyone talking about a 13m+ signing bonus, we'd better hope this guy has a decent shelf life. If he lasts another 4 years or so, it's a great deal. If he blows out an ACL and we're stuck carrying him on the roster until we can swallow the monster cap hit, I think we're screwed.

I really think you are looking at this backwards, Art. Today isn't when the the judgment matters. What matters is what transpires on the field, so no one will know whether it is a good trade or not for several years. How can you possibly pass judgment on something before knowing the outcome? What if Portis breaks his leg week one and never plays again? Or, what if he goes on to be the All-Time leading rusher in the NFL? Either way, you don't know what will happen as of today, so saying that today is all that matters leaves me scratching my head.

Any judgments made on this trade now are simply predictions as to what people think will happen in the future. They aren't judgments at all. You don't convict a man of a crime before you have all the facts. Likewise, you can't determine the value of a trade until all the results are in.

A lot of people hate this trade, but I guarandangtee you that if Bailey suffers a career ending injury this upcoming season, EVERYONE will be glad we made the trade. You just don't know, and until then it's all guesses.

Arguably, you might think that I'm setting my standards low, but hear me out:

a) sacrificing the second round pick will be acceptable provided

Clinton continues having 1300-1500 yard seasons.

B) makes a significant difference for our club when it comes to

division games. Everybody is well aware of the problems

we've had in our division. Hell, the last time we won the

division was when we had a winning record in the NFC East.

The East is all about grinding out yards in November and

December. Portis immediately allows us to compete with

Dallas and Philly and legitimately go into their homes and

win games. Thus, for the time being, if he can lead us to a

division title and be a key contributor in reestablishing our

competitiveness within the NFC East, I'll say the second

rounder was worth it.

It's all about progression. Let's remember that we are coming off a 5-11 year, and that we are going to have alot of new faces that need to come together.

It's all about wins Art. If Portis rushes for 2,000 yards and scores 30 touchdowns next year, yet the Redskins still can't get off the schnide b/c of a poor defense, then I'll still think it's a bad trade.

If Portis rushes for 800 yards and 2 touchdowns, and the Skins make the playoffs, then I'll think it was great deal.

I can't really assign merit to a trade in terms of individual performance. It's gotta to improve the team and make them more competitive in terms of wins and losses. Of course, Portis will improve the offense, but it seems that the deal will have a negative effect on the defense. Whether that plays out in terms of what kind of success the teamhas next year, we'll see.

If that 2nd round pick turns out to be a bust for the Broncos, THEN I'll be happy. If that player turns out to be a star then I would have to see Portis as the Super Bowl MVP.

Worst case scenario: That 2nd round pick is named Super Bowl MVP in a Skins-Broncos Super Bowl. :doh:

Archived