Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What performance is necessary for you to change your mind?

Art

Originally posted by yank

Skins have struck out on 12 second rounders over the past 20 years. I don't like my chances so I'll just take the next great back in the NFL and walk away with my windfall ...

That's what scares me. What if he isn't that great. Man it will be one of the biggest trade bust ever. Oh, by the way Portis was a second round pick also:doh: If he duplicates what he has done in Denver them I am all for it:D

Just wait until Chump gets into the pass happy AFC. Remeber folks, the NFC is run first, always has been, always will be. Corners can look real good when you only throw the ball 20 times a game. If you look back at the 4-5 catches Champ gives up a game, his numbers aren't that good.

I'll make a claim now, if healthy Portis rushes for 2000+ yards in two years if not next year.

And btw, Art, you make deals to see they're long term success. Long term can mean next season or 3 seasons from now. Who the hell cares what the deal looks like right now. You do what you "think" will work out for your team.

Art, having read only the opening post, let me just say this before I read on:

If I read you right, you've established as a given that giving up the 2nd round pick is a bad thing. Me, I'm not prepared to make that call yet; not until I see it in context of what happens the rest of the offseason. And I don't see that as being wishy-washy. To me, no one offseason move -- or set of moves -- can be "judged" out of context of the whole. There are just so many more moves and adjustments that this team will make before now and opening day, that as of February 26, I think it's premature in the Extreme :) to have decided if giving up the 2nd rounder is either a bad thing OR a good thing.

Damn these agnostics, anyway. :)

Art said:

You measure a trade or a move based on the value it presents at the time you make it.

I'm not sure I follow your logic, Art. Why does a trade have to be measured at the time it was made?

If having a RB like Portis help you become a Super Bowl contender, how could you call that a bad trade, even if you disagreed with it at the time? Ultimately, results are what's important, not opinions at the time of the trade.

And I'm more interested in results than in numbers or stats. Gibbs never had a running back rush for 1,400 yards, even with a Hall of Fame running back in John Riggins. He liked to spead the ball around more than most people realize.

What matters is that Portis is a threat that teams have to respect, and that helps open up Gibbs entire playbook. If teams bring up an 8th man in the box to try and stop Portis, that opens up the passing game. And if teams don't bring up the 8th man, Portis has shown he can consistantly gain yards--up the middle, outside, where ever.

Gibbs will help prolong his career by not overusing Portis, who has shown he can carry the rock 30 times, if neccessary. But he's also shown that he can make huge plays and change games even with minimal carries.

The threat is every bit as important as the numbers. Maybe more so.

I'll be satisfied if Portis stays healthy, continues to be as effective as he's been the past two seasons and more importantly doesn't get a big head.

My biggest concern with Portis is his lifestyle. Is he going to continue to stay focussed and work hard or will all the new found riches get to his head and turn him into a nightmare to deal with?

Portis was drafted in the second round wasn't he?

A second rounder is a crapshoot just like Portis actually remaining healthy and contributing but it would nice to have that pick to find out.

Fred Smoot was Drafted in the second round.

Just because the era of spurrier meant a eff up in grabbing Jacobs who may turn out to be decent and Betts who hasnt had a fair shot doesnt mean you blow off the importance of the second round pick.

couple of thoughts:

1) if Portis is the star many feel he can be or is....he will be gine in 4-5 years when he demands astronomical figures....so this is a short-run to medium term decision (in my opinion)

2) it is impossible to assess the value of what the 2nd round pick could have delivered. one can ballpark what needs go unfilled due to the abscence of the pick.

so....following Art's lead to just target performance....my thoughts are less tiede to numbers. There is some threshhold where he is a threat that defenses have to plan to; this open opporuntities elsewhere - the whole offense becomes more productive. this is the value I see in Portis. If we have to have numbers I would focus more on break-away runs, say greater than 25 yards. If we get 2-3 every game I'm good! Not sure how Portis will do in goal line and short yardage situations - maybe that's a Betts keeper item.

so....while I think there is an opportunity cost irt building the defense - and those holes will appear during the season - I favor the Portis trade if he is the "force multiplier" the offense needs to get us over the top.

Archived