Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

Not like our defenses historically bad numbers.

But they dealt with offense too with their first pick in the draft.

Woah did you have an interenet issue two or three posts up?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Several Running backs including Cody Schhrader are Undrafted also

Which I find kinda surprising,  I have no idea what his combine and pro days were like but he had a great season and looked good against those SEC defenses

I give this draft a B+ as well. It's a shame we walked away with just one very raw lineman in such a deep OL class.

We got a number of athletic high character guys, some of whom have produced at a high level at the college level and will contribute here, barring injury. I think a number of these guys will be starters in 2025 and a few of these guys have real Pro Bowl/All Pro potential (namely Daniels and Newton and perhaps Sinnott and McCaffrey). These guys are in a position to learn from the veterans in the org already and ones they brought in over the offseason. Love the idea of having Sinnott learn from Ertz and Magee learn from Wagner. Heck, I would not be surprised if Leno comes back and he is there to mentor Coleman. A number of these guys will also become leaders - I am looking at Sainristil and Magee. I initially had a "huh" moment when they drafted Newton but it makes sense - I would not be surprised at all if Jon Allen is gone midseason or after next season. Not only did he show poor leadership ability last year but he also played like a JAG and wants a new contract. Furthermore, it's going to be awkward when others like Wagner, Fowler and Luvu take the leadership mantle away from him.

I think the biggest mistake may have been passing over Paul/Kingsley/Rosengarten for Sainristil and that is acknowledging the rawness of the first two of those three. Further down the draft, I wish they had taken Christian Jones, Mahogany or Rouse over Hampton. Given the number of college tackles from this class who are going to be guards, I think this guard class was underrated and deeper overall than the much ballyhooed guard class from last year. On the Sainristil piece, I think we got a really good player but the reason that pick annoyed me is because I would've rather taken a shot on a tooled up project with legit left tackle potential. As we all know, this has become such a hard position to find and I would have been A OK with taking both one of Paul/Kingsley/Rosengarten and Coleman with the hopes that at least one of those guys would hit. Solid healthy LTs very rarely hit FA and we saw that with this past FA class and other ones - you either get injured guys like Bakhtiari, Smith and Humphries or ****ty ones like Dillard, J. Williams and Becton.

My issue, as I detailed earlier, is that while I believe we found a bunch of high upside players with great character, the strategic asset management piece of the equation was lacking. All we need to do is juxtapose what the Eagles did with what we did. Howie ran a master class this draft. Look at all the picks he picked up this year and next year in what will be a deeper draft. The answer is obvious for why the Eagles have so many picks. It is because they create excess capital in next year's class before the season starts. This gives them the ability to have more to work with to trade for quality veterans or save those picks and use them the following year / break those picks into more. I believe there were opportunities for us to do something similar with our picks given things that happened around our draft slots. I could be completely wrong but I have to think there were offers for #100 given that it was the last pick on Day 2 and gave teams the chance to snag a guy they really wanted going into Day 3 before teams had the chance to reset their boards for the following day. I think we could've probably moved back into the early or mid 4th, snagged a 6th or a pick next year and still have gotten McCaffrey.

@RWJ alluded to this - Peters did well this offseason for a rookie GM but there are levels between where he is at now and where Howie is. I think the area where Peters beats Howie is scouting individual players. That makes sense given one guy came up as a scout and the other guy came up as an accountant. I do hope Peters does master the asset management piece of the equation as he gets more experience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

21774c49405bbaf6b2255da1a74bdfa7.gif.92869732abab447756711205abfb3a8c.gif

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

WE GOT SEXY HAIR MAN!

How dare you try to quantify "Man crush w/ legs" as just sexy hair.

I'm secure enough in my masculinity to call that man a dime piece. Total package.

qg94cn4v.jpg.a75f76256cdd3b8f2987735cc13af611.jpg

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Woah did you have an interenet issue two or three posts up?

Yep :ols:

I hit 'submit' but nothing happened. 

So I hit 'submit ' six more times. :ols:

Then they all showed up in one post several minutes later. 

Weird. 

I edited it. 😀

1 minute ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Which I find kinda surprising,  I have no idea what his combine and pro days were like but he had a great season and looked good against those SEC defenses

I had shrader as kind of a Utililty back I htink he can catch as well as run.  but RBs are so undervalued who knows.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I don't know who this Sam hartman guy is but my wife sure seems to like him.

Now you know what kind of guys your wife likes, or wish had... :P :806: 

22674187-1713906433.jpeg?w=640

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, profusion said:

So, that's a wrap on the Commanders' draft.

My impressions are:

• Athletic ability and attitude were the main drivers for GMAP, more than polish or being ready for Week 1 (JD might be the exception).
  • He has a lot of faith in the coaching staff to make these guys into NFL contributors.
  • There is a LOT of talent in this year's crop, but some of it needs heavy nurturing.
  • The defense is taking shape, but I find the offense still a mystery.
  • Peters has a lot of work still to do just to field a full 11 starters on offense. UDFAs and the waiver wire are going to be critical.

Ron took this approach in 2021. The issue was that his coaching staff sucked and could not develop these players. I am more confident this staff will

6 minutes ago, method man said:

. I do hope Peters does master the asset management piece of the equation as he gets more experience.

It may be less about inexperience and more about the large gap in roster quality. 

Rossman has the luxury of being able to keep pushing assets into the future because he has less holes and more talent, and he only has room for so many rookies.

Peters needs to infuse this roster with blue chip talent and it sure seems like that was a prevalent theme in that the two big trades we pulled off, first Howell and then the move with eagles didn't net us any picks but kept improving the ones we had.

I think as our roster improves you'll see a shift to trying to acquire future assets.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: A

1 (2): QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

2 (36): DI Jer’Zhan Newton, Illinois

2 (50): CB Mike Sainristil, Michigan

2 (53): TE Ben Sinnott, Kansas State

3 (67): OT Brandon Coleman, TCU

3 (100): WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice

5 (139): LB Jordan Magee, Temple

5 (161): S Dominique Hampton, Washington

7 (222): EDGE Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Notre Dame

Daniels — Daniels is QB3 behind Drake Maye on both the PFF big board and the consensus big board, but the new regime in Washington takes him at No. 2 overall. Daniels does make sense as a theoretical fit in a Kliff Kingsbury spread-to-run offense that will allow Daniels to add on in the run game and get the ball out to players in space.

Newton — This wasn’t a need for Washington, as two of their best players — Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne — play along the interior defensive line. However, this is a tremendous value selection at the top of the second round. Newton is the 11th-ranked player overall on the PFF big board and was extremely productive over his college career. Just three Power Five interior defensive linemen have recorded 100 or more pressures over a two-year stretch since PFF began charting college in 2014: Newton, his new teammate Jonathan Allen and DeForest Buckner.

Sainristil — The Commanders continue to draft good football players. Sainristil brings a fierce mentality to the team and provides positional versatility. He secured a career-best six interceptions in 2023, second among cornerbacks, and his 90.3 PFF grade since 2022 ranked fourth among Big Ten cornerbacks. Sainristil has great reaction speed and is fearless in run defense.

Sinnott — After previously getting great value in this draft, according to the PFF big board, the Commanders pick the 105th-ranked player in Round 2. Sinnott is an athletic tight end for Jayden Daniels to develop with for the next decade. He doesn’t do any one thing at an elite level but can do everything well. Sinnott’s 14 missed tackles forced in 2023 ranked third among tight ends, and he made 31 explosive plays over the past two seasons.

Coleman — The Commanders finally land an offensive lineman at the top of the third round, selecting Coleman out of TCU. The 6-foot-6, 320-pounder struggled in 2023 but was far better in 2022 when he earned a 79.6 PFF grade. He could wind up on the inside in the NFL, but he has the experience on the outside, so he could still get a shot there first.

McCaffrey — McCaffrey has NFL bloodlines and is a natural athlete who knows the nuances of route running. He lacks an explosive element to his game but has strong hands, especially in contested catch situations, where his 32 receptions since 2022 are the most in college football. A former quarterback, McCaffrey has a good feel for finding open zones. While the Commanders already have weapons in the receiver room, McCaffrey provides a different style for the group.

Magee — A high-level competitor with a nonstop motor, Magee offers some solid run-and-chase ability, physicality in the box and upside as a blitzer. He posted a career-best 87.2 PFF grade in 2023 and an eye-catching 90.7 pass-rush grade that ranked fourth among all linebackers. At worst, Magee will be an impact core special teamer, but he has the competitive toughness and athletic traits to become a starter.

Hampton — Hampton is a supersized safety at 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, and he comes with good athleticism. He’s an interesting addition to a Dan Quinn defense that prioritizes those kinds of hybrid athletes in the middle of the field. Hampton was at his best in coverage around the line of scrimmage, as he earned an 81st-percentile coverage grade in the box last season for the Huskies.

Jean-Baptiste — Jean-Baptiste recorded 43 total pressures a season ago, including six sacks and 11 quarterback hits. He also produced 21 run stops without missing a tackle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4