Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd, Ahmed

CapsSkins

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think we sign Biadez and Jonah Williams.  Keim has hinted that a vet center is the priority.  We have nothing at LT and although Williams isn’t elite or anything, he’s basically Leno 2.0 IMO.  After that, we take BPA with our 2nd rounder for either G or RT and Wylie plays the other spot 

Wouldn't it be awesome if we signed 3-4 offensive linemen this week and put that issue to bed? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I actually think Williams would be an upgrade over Leno. He's only 26 and actually has played fairly well as a LT. He struggled last year because the Bengals moved him to RT after signing Orlando Brown. If we sign him to play LT it'd be a nice boost. Paired with Biadasz and all of a sudden we got somethin brewin at OL.

That would be a lot of cash on players with very mixed careers to date.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But I don't see the fit here.  As a PFF guy explained, Queen doesn't make much sense for this team because he's not a MLB-Mike type, that's what's been missing, not weakside LB.

We don’t have anything at will linebacker though either. That’s typically been our buffalo nickel. If we are planning to use more of a traditional linebacker there with this new staff, it might make sense.

I read the CBS article that started all this the other day though. It’s just a guy making guesses.

20 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I know a lot of people weren't hot for this a few days ago, but I'm proudly in the minority should this go down.

I love Jon Allen but a defense needs it's voice and leadership to come from the back 7-- especially the guy manning the middle.

Queen brings attitude, leadership, intensity and enough athleticism to be a 4 down player. Plus he loves to hit.

Be strong up the middle, break the offense apart from the inside out with power, quickness and a whole mess of nastiness.

Make it so!

He’s played really well - but only when the Ravens brought in Roquan Smith next to him. Davis is a solid starting backer, but he’s not in the same conversation as Smith. 

I would like the signing but how he plays when he’s the alpha among the backers remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We don’t have anything at will linebacker though either. That’s typically been our buffalo nickel. If we are planning to use more of a traditional linebacker there with this new staff, it might make sense.

I read the CBS article that started all this the other day though. It’s just a guy making guesses.

Jamin is the Will.  I don't get the vibe that he's going to be released.  Seems like they will use him some though roving on the line of scrimmage including pass rushing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was before the Scoota Harris release.  I doubt he saw that one coming.   who did?

The one person he was part of a combined tackle on last season (his only tackle of the season) certainly didn’t see him coming. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We don't play that dumb **** either. 

It does screw up my work schedule twice a year. But makes complete sense in AZ with the climate. 

We are playing in AZ this year. I will obviously be there!

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I see no reason whatsoever to sit on our hands here. None at all.

Just the fact that since we went all out in free agency 25 years ago and it failed spectacularly we've been convinced for a quarter century by the cheapest **** alive that frugality is the way to go and every year the fans convince themselves that big free agent splashes aren't the solution because our roster is not ready to compete yet.

Meanwhile our division rivals make big additions through free agency and continually kick our ass.

I'm not suggesting we blow up our cap but with a quarterback on a rookie deal and 90 mil in cap space there's no reason we can't plan on using a lot of that space over the short term but not back loading badly so that when all the talent the new regime brings in needs to be paid were not in a tough spot.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, @KDawg said he didn't care who we signed.  He said it and I didn't ignore it!

No. I said I didn’t care who our division opponents signed. There you go ignoring me again.

I’m devastated Scooter is gone, though. He was a key piece. Peters has to pull this together quickly or we’re in trouble.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Queen before it was cool back before he was drafted.  Am a fan of the player.

But I don't see the fit here.  As a PFF guy explained, Queen doesn't make much sense for this team because he's not a MLB-Mike type, that's what's been missing, not weakside LB.

Gave up 8 sacks last year, not easy to do for a center

We're in agreement on one thing but disagreement on another.

1. What we agree on--

We don't need another weakside linebacker.

If we're getting him for that mark me extremely skeptical of the wisdom of this move.

The only thing that might make sense, if that's the case, is if we are going to a 3-4 defense, but then what do we do with all of our crazy tackle depth?

2. What we disagree on--

I think we intend to make Queen our starting mlb.

Admitedly at about 6 foot even 235 lbs he's not the biggest guy in the world, but he has the experience, instincts,  toughness and athleticism to be a stalwart at the position.

Frankly, given the jokers we've been trotting out to play the position under Rivera, on day one he would be the best mlb we've had in years.

33 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He’s played really well - but only when the Ravens brought in Roquan Smith next to him. Davis is a solid starting backer, but he’s not in the same conversation as Smith. 

I would like the signing but how he plays when he’s the alpha among the backers remains to be seen.

Good points.

I guess we'd just have to trust that Quinn and Whitt find a way to make it work with Queen manning the middle.

At worst though Queen at mlb is a definite improvement over what we are accustomed to at the position.

Whether he'd be a true star as tge sole lead dog in the center of our defense would be something only time will tell.

18 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

2. What we disagree on--

I think we intend to make Queen our starting mlb.

Admitedly at about 6 foot even 235 lbs he's not the biggest guy in the world, but he has the experience, instincts,  toughness and athleticism to be a stalwart at the position.

Frankly, given the jokers we've been trotting out to play the position under Rivera, on day one he would be the best mlb we've had in years.

He was one of my guys on the draft thread, ton of energy, could pass rush some.  Actually similar in style of Chinn, who is a safety, who is also a FA.

Struggled some as a pro.  Like Jamin he was tried as a middle linebacker, call defense type, struggled, and emerged on the weakside.  Why do we want to sign a dude and make him play MLB-Mike again?

Feels like another version of William Jackson, signing guys regardless of their fit.   Only rationale I can think of is if they are moving Jamin to edge.  

Otherwise why not sign dudes, and there are plenty of them who actually play the need position we have at LB.  Guys like Josey Jewell?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/05/01/ravens-decline-patrick-queens-fifth-year-option-making-the-linebacker-a-free-agent-after-2023-season/

The 28th overall pick out of LSU by the Ravens in 2020, Queen also struggled at times. He lost his inside linebacker spot in 2021 and was moved to the weak side...Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta declined to discuss Queen’s status during the draft, saying only, “I love Patrick. Patrick is, in my mind, one of the better [weakside] linebackers in the league. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-linebacker-patrick-queen-looking-to-make-jump-in-year-three

Queen, a first-round pick (28th overall) from LSU in 2020, had some early struggles last season but played better when he moved to the weakside 

https://milehighsports.com/josey-jewell-continues-to-be-the-unsung-hero-of-the-denver-broncos-defense/

Evero also highlighted how Josey Jewell’s high-end football IQ and leadership skills have helped the defense out.

“Yeah, just the communication aspect of it, you know, setting the fronts, a lot of the coverage stuff, you know,” Evero said, when asked what made him decide to make Jewell the glue of the defense. “With the way that the NFL is going these days — all the condensed fluids — on every play you have, you’re going to be communicating something. When you have a safety like we do and when you have inside linebackers like we do, it makes a lot easier.”

The Broncos will need to continue to get that level of play from Josey Jewell, if they want to snap their losing streak on Sunday.

I haven't paid attention to him of late but liked him a lot a couple of years ago when he was a FA

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

How about that? An inside linebacker for the Green Bay Packers has PFF’s highest grade at the position. Not often do we see that.

It’s well deserved. Campbell has started every game for the Packers this season and played on 98.01 percent of the team’s defensive snaps, according to Pro Football Reference. He’s been on the field for every single defensive game in nine of the Packers’ 11 games in 2021.

In that time, Campbell has a team-high 95 tackles, good for seventh-most in the NFL. He also has four tackles for loss, four pass defenses, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, one sack, and five QB hits.

He makes plays all over the field, both against the run and pass. He is an excellent tackler and quickly brings down receivers even if they’ve made the catch, limiting their yards after catch. Campbell has been excellent in helping shut down the run while also playing well in passing situations.

What has helped Campbell reach an even higher level is the big plays he’s made. He’s come away with two interceptions and forced two fumbles. Again, not something we hear often when it comes to Packers inside linebackers.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/11/27/packers-devondre-campbell-pff-top-ranked-linebacker-2021/

• Like 3