Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tech CEOs testify at online child safety hearing

Destino

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Mark Zuckerberg may be the only adult on earth that Josh Hawley could successfully bully. 

If Zuckerberg's (non) speaking opportunity is represented by the short clips he should have sent a cardboard cutout instead. As a bonus it would display more charisma and emotional warmth.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

If Zuckerberg's (non) speaking opportunity is represented by the short clips he should have sent a cardboard cutout instead. As a bonus it would display more charisma and emotional warmth.

I watched thirty minutes of it or so and this was very much a bipartisan tongue lashing of these tech CEOs. As enjoyable as it is to see billionaires have to sit there and take it, the whole thing is a waste of time. Social media isn’t a place for kids. I’m not interested in them “doing more” I want kids off social media entirely.

I see no value in providing a place for sexists, racists, religious nuts, political extremists, and foreign propagandists to speak directly to American children.

• Thumb up 1

It’s a shame that he didn’t bring a map of the world with him so that he could show that Singapore and China are not the same country. Even better to ask Tom Cotton to point them out on the map.

• Haha 1

Why would you want to testify in front of these animals?  I want to make it a law that if you want to be on the ballot, you need to be subject to nomination hearings for minimim 10 hours in each locality (zip code, county, etc).  

"Nominee Cotton... do you beat your wife?  I don't believe you!"   They act so tough when they are doing this but never subject themselves to the same treatment. 

I do agree Tik tok has censorship, but I don't know how we continue this economic relationship with China in a respectable fashion.  Opening up trade with them was supoosed to make them more amenable to democracy and being an open society.  That hasn't happened.  The beijing olympics 2022 are a great example.  So it seems like we deal with them on their terms and be polite; or we antagonize each other.  

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

It’s a shame that he didn’t bring a map of the world with him so that he could show that Singapore and China are not the same country. Even better to ask Tom Cotton to point them out on the map.

we really should implement some testing requirements to run for office. And more focused tests for committee appointments. 

at this point I have doubts much of congress could pass a citizenship test. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Mark Zuckerberg may be the only adult on earth that Josh Hawley could successfully bully. 

Was Hawley the one that ran like a 6-year-old-girl from the insurrection his party fomented?

3 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I dunno...Hawley's pretty fast when he's scared

giphy.gif.dd95a042184fb1d35b719e08fa428713.gif

Well that answers my question.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Tom Cotton is a racist. 

Same guy also said DC residents aren't real Americans and don't deserve statehood cuz they all work for the federal government. 

**** that guy he sucks. 

And because we don’t have a car dealership (which isnt even true). 

• Haha 1

Admittedly spitballing here on geography (yes, I know I could confirm but where’s the fun in that?) but isn’t Singapore ballpark as close to Australia as it is to China?

If so, take away the given bias and question for a sound bite motive, wouldn’t it be almost as relevant to ask him if he’s ever ridden a kangaroo?

• Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, Destino said:

I watched thirty minutes of it or so and this was very much a bipartisan tongue lashing of these tech CEOs. As enjoyable as it is to see billionaires have to sit there and take it, the whole thing is a waste of time. Social media isn’t a place for kids. I’m not interested in them “doing more” I want kids off social media entirely.

I see no value in providing a place for sexists, racists, religious nuts, political extremists, and foreign propagandists to speak directly to American children.

We agree that social media isn't a place for kids.

In regards to the bipartisan tongue lashing, I think our elected officials feel the need to haul guys like Zucker**** into the halls of Congress to berate them every once in awhile so they can feel better about themselves and perhaps gain some modicum of respectability in the eyes of Americans for about 5 minutes.

You can say what you want about Zucker**** and facebook (for the record, I can take or leave him and I don't use facebook), but at least the guy built something.  And that thing he built certainly has faults and issues but I think it bothers guys like Tom Cotton that people aspire to be the next Zuckerberg way, way more than they aspire to be the next Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley.  Cotton and Hawley and the rest know that the only way they can get a tech CEOs attention is to haul them into DC and give them that tongue lashing which is silly and ridiculous and as @Corcaighcorrectly pointed out, is a stupid circus.  What they'll never understand is how hard it is to build something like a facebook and have it run smoothly and perfectly and without issues and complexities and try to be on the lookout for issues such as this because they're too chicken**** to do it.  

It's a stupid dog and pony show that allows uninformed Americans to think for a bit that the elected officials are actually looking out for our best interests instead of being bought and sold by their special interest groups and lobbyists.  I wish Zuck or one of the other CEOs would have the gall to clap back with something like that.  

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

We agree that social media isn't a place for kids.

I'd take it a step further: It's not a place for humans.  At least not social media run by nefarious corporations incentivized to create a doom-scroll beholden to nobody but the almighty shareholder.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I'd take it a step further: It's not a place for humans.  At least not social media run by nefarious corporations incentivized to create a doom-scroll beholden to nobody but the almighty shareholder.

Where else am I gonna look at photos of girls in bikinis on end while I'm on the toilet?  Dude, way to take the fun out of it.