Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Global Conflict Escalations

Bang

21 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Even Israel admits that they haven't been successful in minimizing civilian deaths.

I know they haven’t been as successful as everyone would like. Because Hamas works to maximize casualties.

emptying Gaza of Palestinians has been raised by at least one person in the Israeli government.

one person? Wow….  In shocked in a government with thousands of people working for it, one of them would say something inappropriate…

You can't even discuss what Israel shouldn't do with respect to Palestinians in trying to destroy Hamas? 

I did. They should attempt to minimize casualties.  Egypt and Hamas are making that difficult.

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I know they haven’t been as successful as everyone would like. Because Hamas works to maximize casualties.

one person? Wow….  In shocked in a government with thousands of people working for it, one of them would say something inappropriate…

I did. They should attempt to minimize casualties.  Egypt and Hamas are making that difficult.

It hasn't been just one person. 

And in this CNN article, a pollster puts the percentage of Israelis that want to re-establish settlements in Gaza at 25-40% (though that doesn't necessarily mean removing all Palestinians). 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/middleeast/israel-far-right-gaza-settler-movement-cmd-intl/index.html

Okay.  What does minimizing civilian deaths mean, especially in the context of a goal that might not be achievable?

20 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It hasn't been just one person. 

And in this CNN article, a pollster puts the percentage of Israelis that want to re-establish settlements in Gaza at 25-40% (though that doesn't necessarily mean removing all Palestinians). 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/middleeast/israel-far-right-gaza-settler-movement-cmd-intl/index.html

ok, and? I would think if you had Canadians coming into America shooting us and blowing us up we would want something similar. Who wouldn’t?

20 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Okay.  What does minimizing civilian deaths mean, especially in the context of a goal that might not be achievable?

It means to do your best to minimize civilian deaths. Do you want me to define the words separately?

Minimize

verb
  1. reduce (something, especially something unwanted or unpleasant) to the smallest possible amount or degree.

Civilian

noun
  1. a person not in the armed services or the police force.

Deaths

noun
  1. the actions or facts of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism.
Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

ok, and? I would think if you had Canadians coming into America shooting us and blowing us up we would want something similar. Who wouldn’t?

It means to do your best to minimize civilian deaths. Do you want me to define the words separately?

Minimize

verb
  1. reduce (something, especially something unwanted or unpleasant) to the smallest possible amount or degree.

Civilian

noun
  1. a person not in the armed services or the police force.

Deaths

noun
  1. the actions or facts of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism.

It means that it isn't one person like you first suggested in trying to down play the issue.  And your first dismissal of it was wrong.

Hopefully people that realized that part of the problem is the uncompensated taking of land that occured and that taking more land by force, especially uncompensated, would not likely be helpful in terms of achieving long term peace wouldn't support it.  Hopefully some people would be interested in peace on both sides and see more of the same isn't helpful.  By both sides and on both sides.

Which is why we came out so forcibly and quickly against it. (and didn't just dismiss it like you've pretty much tried to do in your last post.)

Ok.  And if it isn't possible to eliminate Hamas without killing every Palestinian in Gaza, that's not a problem?

Edited by PeterMP

• 3 weeks later...

Yemen's Houthis Say They Target Two US Warships in Red Sea

Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis carried out a military operation in which they targeted two U.S. warship destroyers in the Red Sea, the group's military spokesman, Yahya Sarea, said in a televised speech on Tuesday.

He said the ships were targeted with a number of naval missiles and drones.

Houthis' Red Sea attacks have disrupted global shipping, forcing firms to re-route to longer and more expensive journeys around southern Africa, and stoked fears that the Israel-Hamas war could spread to destabilise the wider Middle East.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm guessing they were unsuccessful?

8 minutes ago, China said:

I'm guessing they were unsuccessful?

Yeah, not sure why they're holding a press conference to say "Hey, we didn't hit anything, but we were really wishing we could hit ... "

Three killed in Houthi missile attack on cargo ship in Gulf of Aden

Three crew members have been killed in a Houthi missile strike on a cargo ship off southern Yemen, its owners and the US say - the first deaths caused by the group's attacks on merchant vessels.

The Barbados-flagged True Confidence was abandoned after Wednesday's attack, which inflicted significant damage.

Two of the sailors who died were Filipinos and the other was Vietnamese.

The Houthis say their attacks are in support of the Palestinians in the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

A military spokesman for the Iran-backed group claimed it targeted True Confidence because it was "American" - something the owners denied.

The US military's Central Command (Centcom) condemned the Houthis' "reckless attacks", which it said had "disrupted global trade and taken the lives of international seafarers".

Click on the link for the full article

• 5 weeks later...