Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders vs. The Dolphins ~ The One Where One Is Drowning

zCommander

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Yes way. Make him stay on and coach the kicking team until he lives out his contract like that clown we had Danny Smith think his name was.If he wants to quit then say fine you are walking out on your contract.

Well, okay.  He can hand out the Gatorade.  

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

They may have been kind of competitive if they actually ran the ball from the beginning. They didn’t do it until they were down 17-0 and the pick-6 forced their hand, they were more worried about stopping the bleeding at that point than winning. They went into full “get out of here without getting too embarrassed” mode like you said, and they weren’t even successful despite Miami taking their foot off the gas pedal.

I’m sorry.  But this actually isn’t correct.  

Their first drive was 7 plays.  4 passes, 3 runs. That’s balance. 

Their second drive, granted was 3 called passes.

Their third drive when they were down 10-0 was run, run, pass punt.

of their first 13 plays it was 8 passes and 5 runs.

If you want more runs than that fine, but they started the game committed to the run.  

And they ended up with more runs than passes.  

After the pick-6, they gave up trying to win. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m fine with getting rid of guys. But I don’t see how it translates to a second first rounder.

Multiple 3s turn into 2nds and multiple 2nds turn into 1sts. Or even trade next year first to get an additional first this year. Didnt we get Sweat in the first round after a trade in addition to our other 1st.  We need blue chip players now.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

3 O lineman taken in the first three rounds.  I don't mean it as it has to be in "each" round.  No, i am not turning down Harrison for Fashanu if those are the choices.  But I could turn down Bowers for him.  I've been consistent on that.

I definitely don't have to defend my concern or desire to upgrade the O line, you among others know that. :ols:. I've more than earned my stripes outlining the O line as a concern before the season.

giphy.gif

I agree but I think we need to go best OT between Alt or Fashanu with our 1st pick, preferably Alt as great as Harrison is and he is!  

2 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

Kirk?

Not sure what you are asking or saying. Anyway we get caught up too much on our own players playing well for us and thinking we got to keep them or extend them but they are not in the top 100 yet get paid top 5 in their position. Its terrible

4 minutes ago, YouLikeThat said:

Multiple 3s turn into 2nds and multiple 2nds turn into 1sts. Or even trade next year first to get an additional first this year. Didnt we get Sweat in the first round after a trade in addition to our other 1st.  We need blue chip players now.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Brother.  It takes time.  Give our new ownership and GM and HC staff time.  They have preached patience and that's how it will be.  We already have two 2nds and two 3rds this year.  

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Rome wasn't built in a day, Brother.  It takes time.  Give our new ownership and GM and HC staff time.  They have preached patience and that's how it will be.  We already have two 2nds and two 3rds this year.  

I agree but nothing wrong with accumulating more and letting go of dead weight. look at our stats of each of the players being thrown around. As a individual you have to have some pride to make a play not including the WR position in this since they obviously cant throw themselves the ball

5 minutes ago, YouLikeThat said:

Not sure what you are asking or saying. Anyway we get caught up too much on our own players playing well for us and thinking we got to keep them or extend them but they are not in the top 100 yet get paid top 5 in their position. Its terrible

Your moniker?

How many picks do you think we get?

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you want more runs than that fine, but they started the game committed to the run.  

Please stop bro

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re bogging the conversation down in minutiae that doesn’t actually matter. I’m not just talking about raw attempts when I talk about committing to the run earlier in the game rather than just as a way to stem the bleeding—especially the way EB tends to call the run game out of shotgun, that’s not what anyone’s calling for. It’s not that simple. You aren’t just making tally marks on the play sheet to count how many runs you’ve called until you’ve got enough to say you committed to the run. 

You’re simplifying things to the point where you leave behind the entire meaning of the conversation. Nobody here is happy with most of the actual run plays called even when EB is actually calling them. That’s not the run game people are calling for and it’s not the run game that I was arguing would have a chance to make us more competitive in a game like todays against a team that can be run on. 

It’s the same reason why your simple point that EB’s offense is fine because “it replaces the run with the short passing game” doesn’t fit what’s actually happening. Because EB most weeks isn’t scheming up an offense that gives his QB easy looks, guys aren’t flashing open early, rarely is a real rhythm achieved in the passing game when the running game is being replaced with more passes. The whole point is that you’re supposed to take what the D gives you, get your QB comfortable and flowing, and get the D to cheat up in the same way the running game would, so that you can then strike deep or down the seam.

That’s not how EB is scheming up the passing game which is why it’s not an adequate replacement for a real running game. He’s not drawing it up and sequencing playcalls with intuition like Sean Payton or Andy Reid. He’s just blindly calling passing plays off his sheet as if that’s enough. 

People don’t just want more running the ball in the flawed way that EB schemes it up. The amount of run plays is one facet of the entire argument about how broken this offense is, how nothing builds off of anything else, how there’s no setup or rhythm, how even when we do run the ball it’s not efficient or utilized against the right looks.   

I responded hot to your “run game numb nuts” comment because it reveals how little you understand most of what the people you’re mischaracterizing and lampooning actually believe. It’s not as simple as “run attempts vs pass attempts”. I hope I’ve made my stance more clear, I realize I accidentally gave you an easy false punching bag by making the comment about running the ball more from the beginning—but that’s because in my own mind, I know what I actually mean by that and how different the offense would look if EB actually utilized the running game in a way that would help our competitiveness. It’s not as black and white as “throw it indiscriminately every down” vs “run the Hiding Heinicke 1980’s offense”. It’s nuanced. Way more nuanced than the idea that you can just call random pass plays and have those plays act as a worthy replacement for the running game just because basic analytics says that passing is more efficient in general.

The WCO does replace many traditional run looks with quick, efficient passing—yes, you’ve always been right about that. That isn’t what EB is doing most weeks. Or I should say, he isn’t doing it well! Maybe we’ve seen that 3-4 times this year, but EB continually makes clear that he doesn’t actually design and sequence the offense with any long term intention behind it. It’s piecemeal, like a great chef gave him a fridge full of ingredients and put him in a fully-outfitted kitchen but never taught him WHY any of it actually works together to create a delicious meal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree but I think we need to go best OT between Alt or Fashanu with our 1st pick, preferably Alt as great as Harrison is and he is!  

I am one of the bigger fans of Alt on the draft thread but still IMO Harrison is a full peg better. I don’t think it’s even that close. Some are talking up Harrison as the best WR prospect in decades. Alt or Fashanu aren’t on that level.

Yet, I don’t hate the idea of taking Fasanu or Alt but if the idea is to go O line no matter what I’d rather trade down in that case.

I hate drafting to need. Yet Ron boxed us in on that position so it’s tough.  The philosophy of taking lesser players because they are in spots of greater need make me cringe. But sadly Ron put us in this pickle. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am one of the bigger fans of Alt on the draft thread but still IMO Harrison is a full peg better. I don’t think it’s even that close. Some are talking up Harrison as the best WR prospect in decades. Alt or Fashanu aren’t on that level.

Yet, I don’t hate the idea of taking Fasanu or Alt but if the idea is to go O line no matter what I’d rather trade down in that case.

I hate drafting to need. Yet Ron boxed us in on that position so it’s tough.  The philosophy of taking lesser players because they are in spots of greater need make me cringe. But sadly Ron put us in this pickle. 

I concur, SIP.  I do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron is a nice guy with high character so he represented the team well juxtaposed to Dan.

He definitely didn’t build IMO a winning culture or one of accountability 

Good work Ron! Now gtfo of Washington please 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The Steelers have to be getting concerned about Pickett too. 

That is exactly why I would be hesitant to draft a QB when we have so many needs. Unless the QB is a consensus top QB it's always a crap shoot. I have seen enough in Howell to think he can be a franchise QB with a quality offensive line. When he has time to set and throw, he does very well. The problem is that he doesn't have enough time for that.

I would hate for us to draft a Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields or Mac Jones and waste the pick when we desperately need to upgrade the offensive line, LB, Edge.

• Like 4