Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Prime Named SI Sportsperson of the Year (for Going 4-8)

PleaseBlitz

https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/30/deion-sanders-sportsperson-of-the-year-colorado

Deion Sanders Is SI’s 2023 Sportsperson of the Year

In less than a year, Coach Prime has not only transformed a moribund Colorado football program. He’s also breathed fresh life into the campus and transformed a community.

Colorado went 4-8 and finished dead last in the Pac 12.  After an exciting first 3 games, they finished with one (1) conference win and a 6 game losing streak.  Kinda of a style over substance pick IMHO, and I personally like him a lot (this is not a criticism of Coach Sanders, it is a criticism of Sports Illustrated). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I saw this headline earlier and didn't agree with it initially but also struggled to think of a good alternate choice.  My pick would have been Othani but they're not going to give it to a baseball player and there's not enough social change story there to make a larger case than just being the best baseball player ever.  If the argument for Sportsman, excuse me, Sportsperson of the Year is who got the most media coverage this year, then Sanders is a really good pick.  

• Like 1

Spoke to someone over the weekend who lives in Boulder and he's said Prime has totally revolutionized the city and hyped it up big time. It's a destination now.

Be curious how they do after this year because he's said that Colorado "is not an ATM" and moaned about the lack of NIL there. That said, he's already improved them from a 1 win laughingstock to a 4 win team. No, they didnt' go bowling. And Deion's massive upheaval is mixed. Maybe they hit the portal again hard in the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Article from former players who were encouraged to work through the Spring Game, then fired by Sanders. Also, looks like portal transfers will remain a thing. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-colorado-players-were-told-154730246.html

I don't get it.

I mean, Sanders said that he was going to clean house.  He said that no one was safe.  He was up front and honest from Day 1 about what he was going to do and that no player on a roster that won one game the previous year should feel like they have a spot.

Like Eckardt, Xavier Smith had spent a year at Colorado under the previous coaching regime. The defensive back from Atlanta was injured the second half of his first season and didn't appear in a game. He initially was confident Sanders would keep young players like him to help build the foundation and culture.

“We all have expectations of a coach,” Smith told the AP, “and I just feel like those expectations weren’t met.”

Later, he added, “All I wanted was a coach to be honest with me and give me an opportunity.”

So many people have talked about sports being an allegory for life and life lessons.  And almost all those life lessons have the hero of the story persevering in the end after having to overcome some obstacle...but no one wants to admit in life that you might not always be wanted, that you might not always get the job, that you might not be viewed in a favorable light.  The kids in this article feel like they've been wronged, that they weren't given an opportunity.  But in life, if you're on an underperforming team at work and a new manager comes in who has no allegiance to you and what you've done, you can be on the hot seat.  

This kid didn't understand or didn't want to understand that when Sanders said that no one was safe that Sanders was also talking about him.  Maybe he feels he didn't get a fair chance, but not everyone in life is afforded an opportunity no matter how much they want one or feel like they deserve one.

Eckardt is still trying to find his place. Arizona didn't work out. Neither did Colorado. Iowa Western was his bridge to the future.

Maybe Eckardt should understand the issue isn't wasn't with Arizona or Colorado, maybe the issue is with him.

• Like 2

I don't feel bad for any of the legacy players. Unless there was something said to them in private different from Deion was saying publicly, they really should have known that all positions on the team were up for grabs.

As for impact to the game and media buzz, Colorado and Prime were definitely a hot September story. I'm sure it was tough to even accomplish what he was able to at Colorado. That said, when all is said and done, it seems like a pretty uninspired pick unless it's just about headlines and buzz generated (which it might be). There have to be coaches out there who led better improvements at their schools (more than 3 games). What about the JMU coach who has his team deserving a bowl game in year 2 of their move to FBS? 

Anyway, I'm not upset about it...I personally love Deion...but I have to assume someone else was more deserving. 

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I saw this headline earlier and didn't agree with it initially but also struggled to think of a good alternate choice.

Caitlin Clark?  They should award it to Angel Reese and then put Caitlin Clark on the cover with her. :)

Mikaela Shiffrin? - Basically won everything possible and became the all-time leader in World Cups.  Plus they could put her in the swimsuit issue as well. 

Lionel Messi? - MVP of the Soccer World Cup.

All actually played sports and had better records than 4-8. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I don't understand the fascination with Deion Sanders and Colorado, I really don't. What makes him so special? What has he won as a coach? I know he was at Jacksonville State or whatever. 

Not denying his legacy as a player athlete. 

Did Rich Rod know?

As for better choices..Jokić or Ohtani would have made much more sense. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Spoke to someone over the weekend who lives in Boulder and he's said Prime has totally revolutionized the city and hyped it up big time. It's a destination now.

Destination 🤣

Boulder has always been a spot for the wealthy. Average rent price is over double what it is here in Central NC. That area sells itself. It doesn't need any help from a sub par football coach. Its not some po dunk area like Greeley or Fort Lupton. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Destination 🤣

Boulder has always been a spot for the wealthy. Average rent price is over double what it is here in Central NC. That area sells itself. It doesn't need any help from a sub par football coach. Its not some po dunk area like Greeley or Fort Lupton. 

U. of Colorado has always allegedly been an easy recruiting location as well. They were hugely successful for a long time, they have great opportunities for every type of outdoor stuff you could ever want, and they had the cool uniforms in the 90s. 

Plus they're only like 40 minutes or so from Denver. 

Them sucking for a few years is indicative of how bad their coaching has been. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

U. of Colorado has always allegedly been an easy recruiting location as well. They were hugely successful for a long time, they have great opportunities for every type of outdoor stuff you could ever want, and they had the cool uniforms in the 90s. 

Plus they're only like 40 minutes or so from Denver. 

I'm glad Primes trying to rebuild CUs program. Funny how theys now heading back to the Big XII. Sportsperson of the year is a bit much imo. He n his kids could essentially be Dan and Cody Hawkins 2.0. 🤣

42 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Caitlin Clark?  They should award it to Angel Reese and then put Caitlin Clark on the cover with her. :)

Mikaela Shiffrin? - Basically won everything possible and became the all-time leader in World Cups.  Plus they could put her in the swimsuit issue as well. 

Lionel Messi? - MVP of the Soccer World Cup.

All actually played sports and had better records than 4-8. 

@PleaseBlitz!  I am shocked and saddened to see that you've departed from your standard liberal progressive social stance to make a crack at a female athlete, demeaning her to swimsuit issue status when female athletes everywhere are striving to be paid and recognized on a level compared to male athletes.  You should be ashamed.

*googles Mikaela Shiffrin bikini photos*

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am shocked and saddened to see that you've departed from your standard liberal progressive social stance to make a crack at a female athlete, demeaning her to swimsuit issue status when female athletes everywhere are striving to be paid and recognized on a level compared to male athletes.  You should be ashamed.

I appreciate all people for their whole selves, even when they are super duper hot white girls. 

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't get it.

I mean, Sanders said that he was going to clean house.  He said that no one was safe.  He was up front and honest from Day 1 about what he was going to do and that no player on a roster that won one game the previous year should feel like they have a spot.

So many people have talked about sports being an allegory for life and life lessons.  And almost all those life lessons have the hero of the story persevering in the end after having to overcome some obstacle...but no one wants to admit in life that you might not always be wanted, that you might not always get the job, that you might not be viewed in a favorable light.  The kids in this article feel like they've been wronged, that they weren't given an opportunity.  But in life, if you're on an underperforming team at work and a new manager comes in who has no allegiance to you and what you've done, you can be on the hot seat.  

This kid didn't understand or didn't want to understand that when Sanders said that no one was safe that Sanders was also talking about him.  Maybe he feels he didn't get a fair chance, but not everyone in life is afforded an opportunity no matter how much they want one or feel like they deserve one.

Maybe Eckardt should understand the issue isn't wasn't with Arizona or Colorado, maybe the issue is with him.

Yes, all good quotes. I wasn't defending these cut players, just giving a player's point of view.

And you're right about life lessons. Giving out participation trophies didn't do enough for the number one achiever. Some of us don't adequately prepare our children for the adult world. I believe I did a pretty good job. My daughter makes choices that I didn't but she's happy and doing a good job raising her daughter. That's what I expect. 

Some kids get so used to thinking that they are the best by their parents without counseling what happens in the real world that the kids aren't prepared. I'm a realist and I raised my kid that way.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think the Portal + NIL is bad overall for college sports, but that is a separate issue entirely.  I don't blame a coach for using the system to his program's advantage.  

Maybe just me, but I don't think player should be able to portal unless they aren't getting playing time.

And yes the NIL has seriously effected this, because players can now basically move at whim based on where they can get the most "NIL" *cough* booster *cough* money.

I can see D1-FBS college football basically bifurcating, as the top teams with the most "NIL" money will be able to monopolize all the best players.  And it will become a death spiral for the programs that can't compete because less NIL money -> worse recruits -> poorer program performance -> less NIL money.

**** that.  Although it would be amusing to see Harvard win the NCAA championship when their rich alumni base decides they want to buy one

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, all good quotes. I wasn't defending these cut players, just giving a player's point of view.

And you're right about life lessons. Giving out participation trophies didn't do enough for the number one achiever. Some of us don't adequately prepare our children for the adult world. I believe I did a pretty good job. My daughter makes choices that I didn't but she's happy and doing a good job raising her daughter. That's what I expect. 

Some kids get so used to thinking that they are the best by their parents without counseling what happens in the real world that the kids aren't prepared. I'm a realist and I raised my kid that way.

Got it.  I've seen some on social media (big mistake, I know) defending them.  And I thought the article painted them in an overall sympathetic light.

Just now, Fan since a Fetus said:

Weed, Call of Duty, Blood Incantation and drive bys in Miatas will do that to a state. 

Close the thread!  FSAF wins.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1