Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Brady's comments on today's "mediocre NFL"

hail2skins

About a week ago Brady made a comment in an interview with Screamin A Smith on what he's sees as a decreased quality of play in the NFL. He cited the rule changes, coaching, schemes, and player development:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38951659/tom-brady-bemoans-nfl-play-says-there-lot-mediocrity

Today Alex Smith was asked about Brady's comments on the ESPN pregame show and he said that Brady just won a Super Bowl recently in this supposed mediocre league and that the Pats never had any competition in their division. I thought Alex's comments were lazy. First, Brady is allowed to say that the quality of the league had declined over his 20+ year career, even if he enjoyed success in his latter stages. Second, while its true the Pats didn't have a challenger in their division, the team was also wildly successful in the out of division games they played.

What is your opinion on Brady's comments?

There are very few individuals qualified to make the assessment Brady is making, so agree or disagree itd be wise of the NFL to take it seriously.

What's going on in youth football from parents more likely to say no from better understanding CTE could lead to a squeeze on the talent pipeline going into college and eventually the NFL.

That would at minimum compound the situation Brady is describing.

I think the heavy cut-down on practice time did a lot to hurt the quality of the game.  And also all of the rules coddling QBs.  And changing the definition of a catch; I used to know what a catch is and now I don't.  One thing that has improved the sport is that Tom Brady is no longer playing and whining like a ****ing baby and getting the rules changed to benefit him.

Players are coached to fit into schemes more than they're taught fundamentals that translate across any scheme. I've heard a few recently retired players speak about this. It leads to a lot more sloppy play, in addition to practice schedules and contact in practice changes. Brady isn't wrong.

• 1 month later...

Alot of us have been complaining about how bad the NFL is lately, oh and the refs too, but QB's like Brady are the reason for some of those rule changes, now he's retired, and complaining about them?

I mean if it was still the NFL of the 80's he'd have retired years earlier because a guy like Reggie White would have broken his ribs, then a guy like Bruce Smith would have fractured his leg. He would have retired about the same age as Montana, with 4 SB rings instead of 7. 

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Alot of us have been complaining about how bad the NFL is lately, oh and the refs too, but QB's like Brady are the reason for some of those rule changes, now he's retired, and complaining about them?

I mean if it was still the NFL of the 80's he'd have retired years earlier because a guy like Reggie White would have broken his ribs, then a guy like Bruce Smith would have fractured his leg. He would have retired about the same age as Montana, with 4 SB rings instead of 7. 

Counterpoint: If Brady plays in the 80s, he wins 1 SB and then he's done. Why? If the Raiders of the 80s get ****ed by the Tuck Rule, they would absolutely murder Tommy Boy on the field next year when they played. Hard to win multiple SBs when you're dead.

No way would they have dreamed up the tuck rule in the 80s.:P

And if Brady actually played in the 80s he'd only realistically have won if he had been drafted by 1 of maybe 6-8 teams. 49ers, Redskins, Giants, Raiders and Bears owned the decade. Could he have won on the Browns or Rams? Possibly, I guess but the game was just different back then and which one of those teams would he have been able to take a SB from or beat out their QB? Also he'd have been playing beat up a lot more.

IMO he'd have to get lucky where he was drafted. Which kind of makes you wonder, how much of the HOF is just guys playing on stacked teams?

Take any of the HOF QBs then imagine them on the 1980s Colts or Saints. :rofl89:

Thinking like that is how I finally realized how good John Elway actually was.