Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

44 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s a bad look for Johnson that he allowed the ownership and front office group to get on a plane and then pulled out. I think he’s making a mistake passing on a HC opportunity - no guarantee at all the Lions are good next year and the shine can go off quickly. 

if youre scared say your scared

10 minutes ago, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

It's only a bad look if they'd already agreed to terms and even then, it really means nothing to anyone outside of Washington.

You're kidding yourself if you think this strange pattern from him doesn't matter to anyone outside of Washington.

People aren't going to part with $15 + million per year for someone who could possibly taint their franchise. He'll get more looks for sure, but this 100% is a terrible look for him.

The owners aren't going to look kindly on someone pulling stuff like this two years in a row.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

quinn and bienemy or quinn and jay gruden? pick one. i think it's an easy choice.

Honest answer, I'd probably lean EB. We'd probably have more on field success with Jay short term, but I'm not convinced that he wasn't the source behind much of the drama in the building and some of the media leaks during his time here.

I'd rather not taint the building with that going forward. 

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Honest answer, I'd probably lean EB. We'd probably have more on field success with Jay short term, but I'm not convinced that he wasn't the source behind much of the drama in the building and some of the media leaks during his time here.

I'd rather not taint the building with that going forward. 

i'm just trying to get used to the idea of dan quinn. expect the worst, hope for the best. (he wouldn't actually be the worst...i just had hopes for new, young blood at coach)

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

You're kidding yourself if you think this strange pattern from him doesn't matter to anyone outside of Washington.

People aren't going to part with $15 + million per year for someone who could possibly taint their franchise. He'll get more looks for sure, but this 100% is a terrible look for him.

The owners aren't going to look kindly on someone pulling stuff like this two years in a row.

Pulling yourself out of consideration for jobs you don't want or that don't align with your goals is not some strange pattern.

Would you rather he took the job he didn't want and/or wasn't committed to doing? Would that make him a more attractive HC candidate to other owners after his firing? 

Just now, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

Pulling yourself out of consideration for jobs you don't want or that don't align with your goals is not some strange pattern.

Would you rather he took the job he didn't want and/or wasn't committed to doing? Would that make him a more attractive HC candidate to other owners after his firing? 

Pulling himself out of contention is not the issue, the problem is his timing when high ranking officials were en route to him. That's a major red flag for decision makers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

Lol, I just saw the news about Johnson. that Mora video I posted yesterday turns out to be more true than even I believed.

You just don't know. You think that you do but you really have no idea. Where's all those guys saying that it's a done deal?

Indecision is a decision, and it's often the worst one. Not to sound too bitter, but shutting down while the team is mid-flight to talk to him reminds me of Josh McDaniels. I doubt many more teams will wait late into the post-season to talk to him in the future if he gets that far through the playoffs again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Pulling himself out of contention is not the issue, the problem is his timing when high ranking officials were en route to him. That's a major red flag for decision makers. 

2 years in a row. he doesnt want to be in charge

• Like 3

An in-demand coach decides halfway through a hiring process that he wants to stay where he is (with a known and good situation) so that, in his words, he can try to win a 'ship with his current team. People freak out and call him an ass, a beta, subservient....man.

Ben Johnson simply decided this was not the time to take a HC gig for whatever reason. He let Washington & Seattle know as soon as he was sure. No harm, no foul. He didn't owe anything to anyone.

More to the point, has anyone here ever been recruited by another employer and then decided to stay at their current job after one or two interviews? Happens every day, a hundred times a day. The only difference in this situation is that the NFL hiring process is somewhat public.

The truth is that no one on the outside knows how any of these candidates present in interviews, what their ideas are, what their plans are for staffing, how the hiring teams rank them and most importantly how they will perform as head coaches once they get hired - whether it's their first or second crack at it. The information we get during the process is either incomplete, agent-leaked, agenda-driven, or flat-out speculation.

Whether it's Quinn, McDonald, Glenn or Weaver, all we can do is trust Josh Harris and Adam Peters to hire the man who fits their vision and their requirements, and that the eventual hire, given enough time and resources, will work out.  

I trust they will, and that he will. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Why would it be a red flag for a guy like Jerry? Why would Jerry care you passed on working with one of the worst owners in the game or that you let another team that's not his know your not interested mid-flight?

I'd imagine all Jerry cares about is the resume, demeanor and how Johnson can make him some more money by winning football games. 

And just so I know, is passing on the trainwreck that was Carolina this past year a positive or a negative for Johnson? 

Edited by DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
  • Like 1

Just now, Stoox said:

An in-demand coach decides halfway through a hiring process that he wants to stay where he is (with a known and good situation) so that, in his words, he can try to win a 'ship with his current team. People freak out and call him an ass, a beta, subservient....man.

Ben Johnson simply decided this was not the time to take a HC gig for whatever reason. He let Washington & Seattle know as soon as he was sure. No harm, no foul. He didn't owe anything to anyone.

More to the point, has anyone here ever been recruited by another employer and then decided to stay at their current job after one or two interviews? Happens every day, a hundred times a day. The only difference in this situation is that the NFL hiring process is somewhat public.

The truth is that no one on the outside knows how any of these candidates present in interviews, what their ideas are, what their plans are for staffing, how the hiring teams rank them and most importantly how they will perform as head coaches once they get hired - whether it's their first or second crack at it. The information we get during the process is either incomplete, agent-leaked, agenda-driven, or flat-out speculation.

Whether it's Quinn, McDonald, Glenn or Weaver, all we can do is trust Josh Harris and Adam Peters to hire the man who fits their vision and their requirements, and that the eventual hire, given enough time and resources, will work out.  

I trust they will, and that he will. 

does johnson have a daughter that has a boyfriend? Id buy that crazy to just accept your fate and stay

Just now, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

Why would it be a red flag for a guy like Jerry? Why would Jerry care you passed on working with one of the worst owners in the game or that you let another team that's not his know your not interested mid-flight?

I'd imagine all Jerry cares about is the resume, demeanor and how Johnson can make him some more money by winning football games. 

Agree to disagree, I know that Jerry is a wacky guy but he's going to want specific answers as to why Ben is the one to lead his Dallas Cowboys and I can't see him turning the other cheek on questionable behavior linked only to this candidate for a position. 

Every other person can be professional and communicate basic details to executives, why is this guy and his agent the exception? I can't see Jerry turning his team over to a person like this with his time on earth nearing the end.

My assumption is Ben was spooked by questions from Seattle that he had no answers for and freaked out before the Washington interview so he just quit before trying. These people talk behind the scenes and will relay exactly what seems to be the problem with this guy.

This is simply a horrible look for him, there's no way around that, period!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You think if the Lions offense excels next year and heaven forbid they go deep into the postseason, that owners are going to hold this against him? 

Just now, No Nonsense said:

You think if the Lions offense excels next year and heaven forbid they go deep into the postseason, that owners are going to hold this against him? 

No, not this alone but he damn well better have good explanations if he wants that mega contract. 

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Agree to disagree, I know that Jerry is a wacky guy but he's going to want specific answers as to why Ben is the one to lead his Dallas Cowboys and I can't see him turning the other cheek on questionable behavior linked only to this candidate for a position. 

Every other person can be professional and communicate basic details to executives, why is this guy and his agent the exception? I can't see Jerry turning his team over to a person like this with his time on earth nearing the end.

My assumption is Ben was spooked by questions from Seattle that he had no answers for and freaked out before the Washington interview so he just quit before trying. These people talk behind the scenes and will relay exactly what seems to be the problem with this guy.

This is simply a horrible look for him, there's no way around that, period!

And you think they all talk behind the scenes but insidets waited an entire year, through even more interviews with even more people to let this gossip about Ben Johnson out? 

McDaniels gutted an entire franchise and told another one to go get ____ after agreeing to terms, but it's the mid-flight thing owners won't be able to get over. 

1 minute ago, DisgruntledLionFan#54,927 said:

And you think they all talk behind the scenes but insidets waited an entire year, through even more interviews with even more people to let this gossip about Ben Johnson out? 

McDaniels gutted an entire franchise and told another one to go get ____ after agreeing to terms, but it's the mid-flight thing owners won't be able to get over. 

There will be a team desperate for this guy. I just can't see it being a team like Dallas at all. He will likely land with a Chicago or Arizona type franchise after they can their current guy.

GM's don't want to lose their job and by overlooking big time issues like this is exactly how they end up on the chopping block. Happens all the time. 

• Like 1