Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

20 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I bet Jamin Davis would be a great player in Gregg’s scheme.

I’m really excited to see Quan/Payne/Allen/Jamin/DeFo in a new (hopefully aggressive) defensive scheme. 

Ron built the dream team, for the next schub to win him a ring with.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If Vrabel doesnt get a HC gig I would love to have him as our DC. That Parcells/Belichick system is nasty.

If Vrabel doesn't want and/or doesn't get the Carolina job, this could very well be a possibility.

ATL: Belichick

LAC: Harbaugh

LV: Pierce

SEA: Quinn

WSH: Ben Johnson

TENN: <just fired him>

CAR: <someone else>

All of a sudden no openings for Vrabel. He could come here for a year or two while waiting for a good vacancy to open up and meanwhile help Johnson adjust to being a HC while building a great defense.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

If Vrabel doesn't want and/or doesn't get the Carolina job, this could very well be a possibility.

ATL: Belichick

LAC: Harbaugh

LV: Pierce

SEA: Quinn

WSH: Ben Johnson

TENN: <just fired him>

CAR: <someone else>

All of a sudden no openings for Vrabel. He could come here for a year or two while waiting for a good vacancy to open up and meanwhile help Johnson adjust to being a HC while building a great defense.

Vrabel probably goes to TV/takes a year off.  He knows Philly & Dallas might be open next year. Better to wait for those two jobs.

• Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For the draft people, @Koolblue13, looks like Ben Johnson likes TEs who can block, too versus the F type TE.  It's common when teams target players in the draft that they at least review them with the coordinators.  I know Washington, did based on reports.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/camp-notes-how-laporta-is-earning-first-team-reps-with-lions-offense

Johnson said he can't wait until the pads come on and even more is put on his rookie tight end's plate to see how he responds.

"It's a position that, if you cannot block and deal with the physicality, then in all offenses, the value goes down," Johnson said. "Tight ends that can't block really are glorified receivers and that's really a lot of Sam's value that he had at Iowa was the ability to do both, be a pass catcher and also a run blocker. So, looking forward to seeing that versatility come to life when we do get the pads on."

I couldn't have said that better myself. Screw TEs that can't block. I don't even love WRs that can't block. It's why I'll always be a Hines Ward fan.

Being able to block adds yards to runs and passes and wears the other team down.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Vrabel probably goes to TV/takes a year off.  He knows Philly & Dallas might be open next year. Better to wait for those two jobs.

What better way to get those jobs than D coordinating in the division in Washington and scouting them all year / playing them twice?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Whenever a staff is begging teams to hire one of their guys, I'm always leery. 

Dan Campbell didn't spend 3 minutes of a press conference making an impassioned case for Ben Johnson. As far as I'm aware, Kyle Shanahan didn't spend 3 minutes of a press conference begging Houston to take DeMeco Ryans. True top candidates don't need a public PR campaign - they let their agents do the stumping behind the scenes. The closest is probably Antonio Pierce and that's a much different situation.

The two cases that come to mind are KC & EB, which we saw was a disaster, and now LAR and Raheem. My orientation is that SoCal is right based on the trajectory and that Morris is a great guy who's highly respected but not a great coach.

It's basically another Rivera. Players may love him, but that ain't good enough.

As I pointed in some other posts, following the vibe on the board over the years on coaching searches, we can swing from one side to another as to leadership versus X's and O's.  I think Rivera has helped us swing now back to X's and O's.   After seeing Spurrier, Norv and later Shanny flame out.  I know Jay is now villanized but at the time we saw him more of an X's and O's type than a leader.  So for Ron some of us craved the leadership.  Our best years in the last 30 or so were with leader types, Gibbs and Marty.

But Ron's version of leadership was BS.  He's not IMO an example that a leader of men-motivational type isn't important.  Ron wasn't an X's and O's type or a leader.   We hoped Ron would be a leader.  Ron self proclaimed himself to be a leader.  But he was far from it.  Ron was a nice guy in that building and wasn't sexest and by extention rose above the douche behvavior that preceded him. 

But as far a leader "meh". His version of leadership was excuse making, laziness, complacency, scape goating and at times even odd arrogance mixed in.  He has no sense of urgency both as a game manager and how he treated big games or any off season.  As Standig pointed out some in that building who worked with him charaterized Ron as a dude more concerned with the "narrative" than anything else including winning.

In general, I don't think anyone here from their couch can form a definitive view on any of these HCs.  Where we believe with total certainty that this dude is great or this one sucks, and there is no counter to that, etc.   We can form opinions based on what we've read and seen.  I've done that, too.  But its just that, opinion and it can't be a definitive take because we aren't working with enough information to be definitive. 

These teams have access to much more information than we do.  Interviewing someone in person naturally can you tell you a lot.   Bob Myers, Harris, Spielman aren't idiots as we know.  So if they've heard enough to be intrigued by any of these candidates, then i put some stock in it.

For me personally.  As @Voice_of_Reason pointed out.  He remembered me as a Raheem critic back when he was here. It's true I wasn't a fan.  Not that I've fully come around.  But I've heard enough about Raheem over the years, that it doesn't sound crazy that the dude is better now than what he was at 32.  I know i am miles better at my job now than I was when I was 32.   He's not the guy I want.  But I wouldn't hate it if they hired mainly because we got smart people in the FO ferreting him out.

So when I hear guys like Logan Paulsen who knew him in multiple stints rave about him among others -- that will register with me if they end up hiring Raheem. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I like Morris, and young coaches do learn a lot by being in environments led by excellent coach-mentors. Morris was thrust into a bad situation when he took over in Tampa. I'm not sold though, and doubt FOs are swayed by this PR blitz. Given the option of Weaver, Johnson or McDonald, I'd take those guys over Morris.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I pointed in some other posts, following the vibe on the board over the years on coaching searches, we can swing from one side to another as to leadership versus X's and O's.  I think Rivera has helped us swing now back to X's and O's.   After seeing Spurrier, Norv and later Shanny flame out.  I know Jay is now villanized but at the time we saw him more of an X's and O's type than a leader.  So for Ron some of us craved the leadership.  Our best years in the last 30 or so were with leader types, Gibbs and Marty.

But Ron's version of leadership was BS.  He's not IMO an example that a leader of men-motivational type isn't important.  Ron wasn't an X's and O's type or a leader.   We hoped Ron would be a leader.  Ron self proclaimed himself to be a leader.  But he was far from it.  Ron was a nice guy in that building and wasn't sexest and by extention rose above the douche behvavior that preceded him. 

But as far a leader "meh". His version of leadership was excuse making, laziness, complacency, scape goating and at times even odd arrogance mixed in.  He has no sense of urgency both as a game manager and how he treated big games or any off season.  As Standig pointed out some in that building who worked with him charaterized Ron as a dude more concerned with the "narrative" than anything else including winning.

In general, I don't think anyone here from their couch can form a definitive view on any of these HCs.  This dude is great or this one sucks, and there is no counter to that, etc.   We can form opinons based on what we've read and seen.  I've done that, too, But its just that, opinion and it can't be a definitive take because we aren't working with enough information to be definitive. 

These teams have access to much more information than we do.  Interviewing someone in person naturally can you tell you a lot.   Bob Myers, Harris, Spielman aren't idiots as we know.  So if they've heard enough to be intrigued by any of these candidates, then i put some stock in it.

For me personally.  As @Voice_of_Reason pointed out.  He remembered me as a Raheem critic back when he was here. It's true I wasn't a fan.  Not that I've fully come around.  But I've heard enough about Raheem over the years, that it doesn't sound crazy that the dude is better now than what he was at 32.  I know i am miles better at my job now than I was when I was 32.   He's not the guy I want.  But I wouldn't hate it if they hired mainly because we got smart people in the FO ferreting him out.

So when I hear guys like Logan Paulsen who knew him in multiple stints rave about him among others -- that will register with me if they end up hiring Raheem. 

It's not that I think the logic is unsound - I get the case for why Morris would be a good HC. But to me, the fact that the Rams' staff has this public campaign in the media to get him hired is a red flag.

KC had a Bieniemy Problem bc Nagy is the heir apparent to Reid but EB was blocking him as the OC (and interesting that EB himself was not the heir apparent). So they dumped him off on us/Rivera after many years of him being unable to get a HC job.

My instinct is that SoCal's hypothesis is right - the Rams want Staley back at DC (and the comp picks wouldn't hurt either), so they're trying to get Morris a job for their own cynical reasons. I bet they like him a lot as a person, too, of course. But this is a cut-throat, results-oriented business and I don't see the proof in the pudding for Raheem. His units have been ranked poorly but he's a great leader - okay?

About Rivera, players genuinely loved him and before he came here his reputation for being a Leader of Men™  was unvarnished. Then we found out it was all BS and he was 100% a politician. Not to say that means Morris would also be a bad leader, just saying buyer beware... 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I wonder why we haven't pursued/interviewed Vrabel? I agree if he doesn't land a HC gig I would love to see him here as a coordinator 

You don't hire your DC, before your HC

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

I'm a big NO on bringing Gregg back.  I don't like guys that think their system is the end all be all over players and does not cater to the strength of the players you have.   On the first part it still grinds my gears that he allowed Antonio Pierce to go the the Giants for not really much more money feeling that he can replace him as its the system that works.  He also didn't fight to keep Ryan Clark who was an integral vet sounding board/mentor to Sean Taylor and we got that bodybuilder Laron Landry.   Those two moves alone hurt our defense dramatically.

Gimme someone new and flexible to use their roster's strengths for the greater good of the entire unit.

Gregg wasn't the GM.  It's not on him.

The Pierce move wasn't Gregg from what I recall.  He was super close with Pierce.   And stayed close after Pierce left.  I recall Pierce talking about Gregg even when he was with the Giants about how often they talk.

Vinny-Joe overspent on the cap and they had to make moves to get under it.

It came out later that getting Archuleta and letting Clark go was pushed by Dan.  Forgot who talked about it but some insider from that time discussed this not long ago.

Gregg certaintly did a nice job pushing for a dude to replace Pierce a year later.  London was Gregg's guy.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37906/video-antonio-pierce-on-gregg-williams

ESPN NFL analyst Antonio Pierce, who played for the Redskins in 2004 when Gregg Williams was their defensive coordinator, had some thoughts...

"It took me back to 2004, honestly. I know the tone. That was Gregg Williams. I love him for it. I loved his approach to the game. If I had to play for him today, I would, no problem."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It's not that I think the logic is unsound - I get the case for why Morris would be a good HC. But to me, the fact that the Rams' staff has this public campaign in the media to get him hired is a red flag.

If it was just LA, I'd get it.  But he's easily the most popular among these coaching prospects if we go purely on praise.  Players, coaches, media -- the love for this guy is fairly wide.

As for why the sell?   Part of it is clearly that he did have a stint when he was 32, and people are pushing for him that he deserves another chance.  That stint eons ago is clearly held against them.  And with some who have been with him since, they think its unfair and they like him enough to go on record about it.

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

About Rivera, players genuinely loved him and before he came here his reputation for being a Leader of Men™  was unvarnished. Then we found out it was all BS and he was 100% a politician. Not to say that means Morris would also be a bad leader, just saying buyer beware... 

You've seen him on the sidelines.  He brings as much emotion as Spock.   

Players liking a coach versus him being a motivator are two different scenes.  Tress Way saying Ron would call him every night when his dad was sick to see how he's doing -- makes Ron a nice guy and likeable.  Being steamrolled by the Bears in the first half and Ron not saying a word at half time to the team -- doesn't scream motivational leader to me.

Yeah there was rhetoric early on that Ron was a leader.  But over time that was clearly BS.  

• Like 1

Ill rank em in tiers of who I want:

Tier 1-Absolutely love. Would be ecstatic.

Ben Johnson

Tier 2-Like a lot. Would be very happy.

Bobby Slowik

Frank Smith

Tier 3-Like. Would be alright with.

Mike Macdonad

Raheem Morris

Dan Quinn

Tier 4-Meh. Wouldnt hate but would temper my enthusiasm.

Jim Harbaugh 

Mike Vrabel

Tier 5-Hate. Would make me question the new administration.

Bill Bellicheck

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ill rank em in tiers of who I want:

Tier 1-Absolutely love. Would be ecstatic.

Ben Johnson

Tier 2-Like a lot. Would be very happy.

Bobby Slowik

Frank Smith

Tier 3-Like. Would be alright with.

Mike Macdonad

Raheem Morris

Dan Quinn

Tier 4-Meh. Wouldnt hate but would temper my enthusiasm.

Jim Harbaugh 

Mike Vrabel

Tier 5-Hate. Would make me question the new administration.

Bill Bellicheck

Mine is close to this.  Only difference is McDonald is in tier 2 for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If it was just LA, I'd get it.  But he's easily the most popular among these coaching prospects if we go purely on praise.  Players, coaches, media -- the love for this guy is fairly wide.

As for why the sell?   Part of it is clearly that he did have a stint when he was 32, and people are pushing for him that he deserves another chance.  That stint eons ago is clearly held against them.  And with some who have been with him since, they think its unfair and they like him enough to go on record about it.

You've seen him on the sidelines.  He brings as much emotion as Spock.   

Players liking a coach versus him being a motivator are two different scenes.  Tress Way saying Ron would call him every night when his dad was sick to see how he's doing -- makes Ron a nice guy and likeable.  Being steamrolled by the Bears in the first half and Ron not saying a word at half time to the team -- doesn't scream motivational leader to me.

Yeah there was rhetoric early on that Ron was a leader.  But over time that was clearly BS.  

Honestly, let me backtrack on Ron. I think the cancer took it out of him. He was not nearly as stoic on the sideline in Carolina.

I watched the “All or Nothing” following Carolina when Ron was there and saw him getting in guys’ faces and yelling at halftime. It was practically a different person entirely.

Cancer killed Ron’s vitality after he bit off more than he could chew with personnel control to boot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mine is close to this.  Only difference is McDonald is in tier 2 for me. 

Yeah Id put Mcdonald in like maybe 1.5 actually 

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Honestly, let me backtrack on Ron. I think the cancer took it out of him. He was not nearly as stoic on the sideline in Carolina.

I watched the “All or Nothing” following Carolina when Ron was there and saw him getting in guys’ faces and yelling at halftime. It was practically a different person entirely.

Cancer killed Ron’s vitality after he bit off more than he could chew with personnel control to boot.

Hes also older now. But I also think the toxicity of the franchise got to him. Its hurt many good football people and held back others.

• Like 2

Ok, so I actually read all the fancy new series of rules for interviews. As some have already stated, teams cannot conduct in-person interviews with candidates employed by other NFL teams until both of the follow occur: (1) it's the day after the Divisional Round of the playoffs (January 22 this year); and (2) whose seasons ended. And while the revised Rooney rule requires clubs interview at least two "diverse" candidates from either the Career Development Advisory Panel list or a candidate not currently employed by the club, it only requires one such interview be in-person. So, to officially hire someone, Washington needs at least one in-person diverse interview (it already has done virtual ones). They could pull from candidates not currently employed by an NFL team. Which probably explains why David Shaw interviewed with the Chargers. I think the Chargers have fully complied with the Rooney Rule at this point and could hire say Jim Harbaugh today.

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I watched All or Nothing, too.

Ron had more emotion then I agree.  But he still struck me as a dude with rare exception who wasn't the most animated dude.  I'd say he was a medium on that front.  I know some talk about that one half time tirade but that came off more an exception than a rule with him.

But the idea that we didn't have the leader version of Ron here brings my point home versus weaken it.

Tough to get a full read on a coach from interviews and when they are mic'd up but I'll wing it anyway.  Raheem comes off in those settings to me like a dude who is more with it as to today's players -- egging them on, joking with them, and comes off animated.  Ron is more like that grandfather type that we respect.  As to their personalities on the field, they come off like very different cats.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hes also older now. 

I think that likely was part of it.  I've heard both ex-Denver players and Redskins players (from both coaches first stint) who attended camp refer to both Shanny and Gibbs as different cats than they were in their first stint.  In short, a bit softer and warmer and lacked an edge unlike the first time.

It's part of the reason why I prefer a coach who isn't on their 2nd act especially if they are 50 plus. 

Now we are speaking DC and good too.  So, between Adam Peters and Ben Johnson are there dots connected with either of them and who would be THE guy at DC.  The 9ers have a good D, better than the Lions.  I have thought possibly Peters may try to persuade Johnson on the 9ers DL coach, Kris Kocurek

Kris Kocurek (49ers.com)

Kris Kocurek (KO-SIR-ick) is in his fifth season as the 49ers defensive line coach. He joined San Francisco after spending the 2018 season as the defensive line coach with the Miami Dolphins.

In 2022, the 49ers defense ranked first overall in the NFL in total yards per game (300.6) and points allowed per game (16.3). The team also finished second with 77.7 rushing yards allowed per game. San Francisco's defense held its opponents to 277 points on the season, the fewest in the NFL and the lowest surrendered by a 49ers team since 2013. Kocurek coached DL Nick Bosa, who was named Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year after leading the NFL with a career-high 18.5 sacks.

Kocurek and the 49ers defense ranked third in the NFL in 2021, allowing 310.0 total yards per game. San Francisco also was sixth in the NFL, surrendering 206.5 passing yards per game. The Niners forced 22 fumbles on defense in 2021, the most in the NFL and the most in a single season by the 49ers since 1994. DL Nick Bosa finished the season leading the team with a career-high 15.5 sacks. His sack total ranked fourth in the NFL among all players as he was selected to the Pro Bowl. Kocurek also worked closely with DL Arden Key, who registered a career-high 6.5 sacks on the year.

Kocurek helped the 49ers defense rank fifth in the NFL total yards allowed per game (359.0) and seventh in rush defense (118.9) in 2020. Rookie Javon Kinlaw registered 33 tackles, 1.5 sacks, one interception (which was returned for a touchdown) and four passes defensed. DL Arik Armstead tallied 49 tackles, 3.5 sacks and a career-high three passes defensed, while DL Kerry Hyder Jr. set career highs in tackles (49) and sacks (8.5).

In 2019, Kocurek helped the 49ers defense rank second in the NFL in total yards allowed per game (281.8), the fewest total yards allowed per game by the team since 1997 (250.8). San Francisco also ranked tied for fifth in the NFL in sacks (48.0), the most by the team in a single season since 1998 (51.0). With DLs Arik Armstead (10.0), Nick Bosa (9.0), DeForest Buckner (7.5) and Dee Ford (6.5), the 49ers were the only team in the NFL to have four-or-more players with 6.5-or-more sacks in 2019. Bosa, who played in all 16 games (14 starts) and registered 47 tackles, 9.0 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and two passes defensed, was named Defensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press and the PFWA, and Rookie of the Year by Sporting News, PFWA and Pepsi. He was also named to the PFWA All-Rookie Team and was named a starter in the Pro Bowl.

With the Dolphins, Kocurek coached DE Robert Quinn and DE Cameron Wake who registered 6.5 and 6.0 sacks respectively. Quinn's 6.5 sacks in his first season with Miami were his second-most in a single season since 2015.

Prior to Miami, Kocurek spent nine years with the Detroit Lions, first as the team's assistant defensive line coach (2009), followed by eight seasons as defensive line coach (2010-17). In his first season leading the defensive line, Kocurek played a vital role in DT Ndamukong Suh's Defensive Rookie of the Year award and helped develop him into a three-time AP First-Team All-Pro (2010 & 2013-14) and three-time Pro Bowl (2011 & 2013-14) selection. Suh's 36.0 sacks as a member of the Lions are the most in franchise history among defensive tackles.

While Kocurek was the Lions defensive line coach from 2010-17, Detroit's defensive linemen registered 250.0 sacks, which was the fourth-most by a defensive line in the NFL during that timespan. His defensive linemen also ranked fourth in forced fumbles (57) and ninth in passes defensed (82) over that eight-year period as well.

Under Kocurek's tutelage in 2017, DE Ezekiel Ansah tied for eighth in the NFL with 12.0 sacks. During that same year, DE Anthony Zettel started all 16 games and finished with a career-high 6.5 sacks in his second NFL season, while DT A'Shawn Robinson ranked eighth among NFL interior defensive linemen with 53 tackles and tied for the league lead with six passes defensed.

The 2016 Lions earned an NFC Wild Card berth as Kocurek helped develop undrafted free agent DE Kerry Hyder into the team leader with 8.0 sacks in 16 games played.

In 2015, Ansah set a career high with 14.5 sacks for the Lions. His sack total led the NFC and ranked third in the NFL, as Ansah earned his first Pro Bowl selection and AP Second-Team All-Pro honors. Ansah also forced four fumbles, which was tied for second in the NFL.

In 2014, Kocurek assisted a Lions defense that finished the season ranking first in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (69.3). Detroit's 69.3 rushing yards allowed per game was the second-lowest in the NFL over the previous 10 seasons, trailing Pittsburgh's 2010 defense (62.8). The Lions ranked eighth in the NFL with 42.0 sacks that season as Detroit earned an NFC Wild Card berth after an 11-5 finish.

Suh earned AP First-Team All-Pro honors and a Pro Bowl selection in 2013 after ranking second among NFL defensive tackles with six passes defensed to go along with 5.5 sacks. The Lions defense allowed 99.8 rushing yards per game, ranking sixth in the NFL. Ansah led all NFL rookies with a team-high 8.0 sacks.

In 2012, Suh was second among NFL interior defensive linemen with 8.0 sacks and earned AP Second-Team All-Pro honors and his second Pro Bowl selection, while DE Cliff Avril led the team with 9.5 sacks.

The 2011 Lions finished tied for 10th in the NFL with 41.0 sacks. Detroit went 10-6 and earned an NFC Wild Card spot. Suh again earned AP First-Team All-Pro honors as Avril led the team and tied for 11th in the NFL with 11.0 sacks. His sack total was the second-highest of Avril's career in a single season.

Kocurek was promoted to defensive line coach in 2010, where he helped the Lions finish sixth in the NFL with 44.0 sacks, an improvement from 29th in the league (26.0 sacks) the year prior. He worked closely with Detroit's first-round pick, Suh, who led the team and all NFL defensive tackles with 10.0 sacks that season, the most by an NFL rookie interior defensive lineman since 2003, when Minnesota's Kevin Williams registered 10.5. Suh's 10.0 sacks were the most by a Lions defensive tackle since Henry Thomas had 10.5 in 1995. Suh's 66 tackles were fourth on the team and fifth among NFL defensive tackles. He became the first rookie defensive tackle to ever earn AP All-Pro honors and the first rookie defensive lineman to do so since Tennessee's Jevon Kearse in 1999. He was also named AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, becoming the sixth defensive tackle to win the honor and first since Miami's Tim Bowens in 1994.

Edited by RWJ

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched All or Nothing, too.

Ron had more emotion then I agree.  But he still struck me as a dude with rare exception who wasn't the most animated dude. 

But the idea that we didn't have the leader version of Ron here brings my point home versus weaken it.

Tough to get a full read on a coach from interviews and when they are mic'd up but I'll wing it anyway.  Raheem comes off in those settings to me like a dude who is more with it as to today's players -- egging them on, joking with them, and comes off animated.  Ron is more like that grandfather type that we respect.  As to their personalities on the field, they come off like very different cats.

I think that likely was part of it.  I've heard both ex-Denver players and Redskins players who attended camp refer to both Shanny and Gibbs as different cats than they were in their first stint.  In short, a bit softer and warmer and lacked an edge unlike the first time

Agreed that Ron and Raheem have different styles for sure.

I’m not saying you’re wrong or that the team isn’t seriously considering Morris — could very well be the case.

But being the cynic that I am, I think Raheem is our in-person Rooney Rule interview and stalking horse to negotiate against Johnson — same way Johnson will use Tepper to negotiate against us.

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Ok, so I actually read all the fancy new series of rules for interviews. As some have already stated, teams cannot conduct in-person interviews with candidates employed by other NFL teams until both of the follow occur: (1) it's the day after the Divisional Round of the playoffs (January 22 this year); and (2) whose seasons ended. And while the revised Rooney rule requires clubs interview at least two "diverse" candidates from either the Career Development Advisory Panel list or a candidate not currently employed by the club, it only requires one such interview be in-person. So, to officially hire someone, Washington needs at least one in-person diverse interview (it already has done virtual ones). They could pull from candidates not currently employed by an NFL team. Which probably explains why David Shaw interviewed with the Chargers. I think the Chargers have fully complied with the Rooney Rule at this point and could hire say Jim Harbaugh today.

The whole thing is just so convoluted. I dont think we need the RR. Its a nice idea in theory but teams just get around it so easily. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1