Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things 2023 Playoffs and Schedule

kleese

So, obviously that was a major blow— considering odds wouldn’t have been awesome even with a win over Giants. 

The following are my personal percentages and nothing official, but for the sake of the thread… 

If we go 6-0 that will be 100% in playoffs 

5-1 I think around 75-80% we’d be in 

4-2 closer to 25-30%; I still think a total collapse from Minny or Seattle is possible so a team getting in at 8-9 isn’t totally off the table. 

3-3 or worse is likely less than 5% and basically 0% 

My goal was to be 6-7 heading to Los Angeles. The thinking there was obviously beat the Giants and then find a way to beat either Dallas or Miami. Now of course they would need to win BOTH of those games. Eh…

I guess you could move the goalposts and make the goal to be 7-8 heading to play the Niners. That would at least keep them alive at Christmas. That requires winning 3/4. Again, eh…

But I won’t stop tracking the thread entirely until they hit their 10th loss or they are mathematically eliminated. Shock the universe on Thursday and they have life again. 

I’ll be at the game; for the record, I’ll predict it lands right around the Vegas number. We won’t get humiliated but it won’t be close late either. Sort of a workmanlike 30-20 type of win for Dallas. 

This thread is about as close to dead as the team is… but because going 5-0 would probably give us better than a 75% chance of making it I guess we can go through the playoff motions for another week. I do believe BOTH the Vikings and Seahawks are in danger of a major crash down stretch. That said, the odds of us going 5-0 are hilarious. I actually wouldn’t be shocked if we are game vs Miami next week. I’ll probably at least be betting us to cover spread that day. 

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Until it doesn't happen, Ron is still a threat to win his 6/7 games.   I think just the odds say we win one more game.  I would love for Stafford to be out and we play Wentz; when we face the Rams.

Because you want us to take Wentz to the wood shed? Or for him to do that to us? 

While this thread is meaningless to us tis year, what a surprise. It's interesting how the rest of the league is playing ot.

In the AFC, I think they are 3 legit Superbowl contenders- KC, Baltimore and Jacksonville.  Miami is a paper tiger, only beating the weak sisters and will be making a quick exit in the playoffs against better competition. They probably only win their home playoff opener and then that's it.   The wild card race is interesting though. Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Houston, Indy, Denver and even 5-6 Vegas are battling for a spot. Should be some exciting AFC football.

In the NFC, I think they are only 2 Superbowl contenders, Philly and San Fran.  Detroit's defense will prevent them beating either Philly or San Fran.  Dallas is like Miami, a paper tiger. They only beat weak sisters.  Someone will win South, with New Orleans the fav.

Dallas will be the top wild card but Minny and Seattle are battling for the other 2 spots. 5-6 Green Bay could also be entering the wild card race.     The nfc seems more settled and it seems the rest of the season is more for positioning.

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Because you want us to take Wentz to the wood shed? Or for him to do that to us? 

Either is fine with me.

If the Giants win today the move into 3rd place in the division and we move into 4th. This has an impact on next year’s schedule.

We host the NFC North and AFC South team who finishes the same place as us and we travel to the NFC West team who finishes in the same place.

Right now that we have 3rd place it would be hosting the Packers and Colts and traveling to LA play Rams at Sofi. If the Giants move up and we move down it would be hosting the Bears and Titans and traveling to Phoenix to play Arizona. 

Obviously there will be some movement in the other divisions as well and it won’t be set until it’s all over but it’s an interesting thing to track besides draft position and slim playoff hopes. 

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If the Giants win today the move into 3rd place in the division and we move into 4th. This has an impact on next year’s schedule.

After losing to Tyrod Taylor and Tommy DeVito this season, I don't want to hear anyone beat their chests about how we're going to sweep the Giants next season.

2 hours ago, kleese said:

I tried to resist going to the Playoff Machine, I really did. But I ultimately couldn’t resist. Let me just say, there is a not-so-far-fetched scenario where we would get in if we go 8-9. 

Just. Sayin’.

It is easier if you just win the next 5. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I just had to…. 

if we finish 8-9 there are a number of scenarios that get us in. None of them require ties or extreme results either. I’d put the chances of us making it at 8-9 somewhere around 35% or thereabouts. If we win our next two then I’d say we’d for sure still be alive Christmas morning. 

Let’s not discuss the odds of us going 4-0 though. 

But yes I am aware of who would be the most preferable teams to lose should we start to win. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kleese said:

OK, I just had to…. 

if we finish 8-9 there are a number of scenarios that get us in. None of them require ties or extreme results either. I’d put the chances of us making it at 8-9 somewhere around 35% or thereabouts. If we win our next two then I’d say we’d for sure still be alive Christmas morning. 

Let’s not discuss the odds of us going 4-0 though. 

But yes I am aware of who would be the most preferable teams to lose should we start to win. 

hit-the-lights-on-your-way-out-leave.gif

• Haha 2

On 11/26/2023 at 12:04 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Until it doesn't happen, Ron is still a threat to win his 6/7 games.   I think just the odds say we win one more game.  I would love for Stafford to be out and we play Wentz; when we face the Rams.

I think the most "winnable" game coming up is the Jets....mostly because that offense is so bad.   But everyone else we play,   those are longshot games IMHO.  

I don’t think the Rams game is a long shot per se. Now if our team has truly just quit and thrown in the towel, then sure, it won’t matter who they play. But assuming the team prepares normally and plays at a normal expected NFL level, the Rams game is likely within reach for them. The spread being under a TD is a bit of a tell as well.