Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Sinéad O’Connor

mistertim

RIP. Definitely a talented musician, whether you agreed with her politically or not.

Sinéad O’Connor, Irish singer of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U,’ dies at 56

Sinéad O’Connor, an Irish singer-songwriter who sold millions of records in the 1990s with her ethereal ballads and rebellious anthems, all while defying expectations of how a female pop star should behave — shaving her head, speaking out about her mental health struggles, protesting the Catholic Church during a performance on live television — has died at 56.

Her family announced the death in a statement Wednesday, released to Irish media and viewed by The Washington Post. Additional details were not immediately available.

Declaring that she was “proud to be a troublemaker,” Ms. O’Connor made music that channeled and reflected her tumultuous personal life, with lyrics about sexism, religion, child abuse, famine and police brutality set against reggae beats, traditional Irish melodies and throbbing pop hooks. Beaten by her mother as a young girl, she was later diagnosed with complex post-traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder, and acknowledged having suicidal thoughts in recent years.

• Sad 4

Said it elsewhere... . such a powerful singer.  I remember all the controversy about her on SNL but not really understanding why.... she was way ahead of public stance on Catholic Church abuse issue....

I recently heard "Nothing Compares 2 U" for the first fime in ! bit  and and - WOW --  It's a great song.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

My first thought was ‘I thought she died already/recently.”

A quick search revealed I was thinking about Dolores O’Riordan, lead singer from The Cranberries, who died in 2017. 

I knew Sinead has been dealing with her son’s suicide recently… and reports are coming about her own personal history of self-harm.

Just as she wished her son, I hope she’s at peace now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

My first thought was ‘I thought she died already/recently.”

A quick search revealed I was thinking about Dolores O’Riordan, lead singer from The Cranberries, who died in 2017. 

I knew Sinead has been dealing with her son’s suicide recently… and reports are coming about her own personal history of self-harm.

Just as she wished her son, I hope she’s at peace now.

I can’t believe that was six years ago already. My concept of time is way out of wack.