Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all encompassing travel thread (for your tips, tricks, recs, questions, help).

The Evil Genius

19 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Meant to tell you since you like Aruba: we flew Divi Divi from Curacao to Aruba last month. Double prop tight seats but it was fine. 30 minutes wheels up to landing. 

That is good to know because I can get to Aruba for free with points pretty easily, but not Curacao.  It sounds similar to the little puddle jumper we took from Belize City to Ambergris Caye, although that flight is like 13-14 minutes.  But it's a tight plane with like 8 or 10 seats. You can't even stand up straight in it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Last day Amtrak credit card offer: 40k miles after meeting minimum spend $2,000 in 3 months + $99 fee. This is double the normal 20k offer. We did a roundtrip RVA - NYC trip in a sleeper car between Christmas & NYE ~5 years ago on points. Felt like Ricky & Lucy riding in style...

https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/offer.html

Do these points ever expire?  I don't really use Amtrak ever but if we ever hit up NYC it looks like that could cover business tickets for my whole family of 4 and then some.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Do these points ever expire?  I don't really use Amtrak ever but if we ever hit up NYC it looks like that could cover business tickets for my whole family of 4 and then some.

No, I don't think so. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger again. 40k is a lot of points for $99. We use it to go RVA to DC to avoid 95. 

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

No, I don't think so. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger again. 40k is a lot of points for $99. We use it to go RVA to DC to avoid 95. 

Yah I may sign up too just to have them.  I can't get my Southwest cards until like June anyways (because of 5/24 and the last time I had them) so I might snag that card to use the next couple of months.  And since it's not Chase, it also won't count towards the 5/24.

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Enjoy SD. See a game at Kitty Litter park if you can. Def hit up some od the best mexican food in the US. 

There's also some good Italian food in the Gaslamp District.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:09 AM, Busch1724 said:

Heading to Budapest later this year in November. What is good there to do? 

My Mom was there last Fall.

In no particular order....The Dohany street Synagogue & Jewish section of the city.....Heroes Square.....Night time cruise on the Danube..views are spectacular, especially of the Parliament Gldgs & chain bridge....."The Shoes" on Danube promenade.   They're also know for its thermal spas and she highly recommends guided tours.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Heading to London, then Paris in 18 days. Kind of sucks that the era of spontaneity of doing stuff is gone. Think we have already reserved half a dozen tickets in both locations. 

Just wish British Airways didn't charge to reserve seats more than 24hrs in advance. 

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Heading to London, then Paris in 18 days. Kind of sucks that the era of spontaneity of doing stuff is gone. Think we have already reserved half a dozen tickets in both locations. 

Just wish British Airways didn't charge to reserve seats more than 24hrs in advance. 

That’s a fun trip. Did you decide to hit Disney?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That’s a fun trip. Did you decide to hit Disney?

Yeah we're doing EuroDisney for the wife's bday and day after. I'm sure I'll have fun but this is all for her. 😁  We're actually staying near it for free for 3 nights and then another 5 nights in the City. 

We've already got tix for Louvre, Eiffel Tower (to the top via elevators), Montparnasse tower, Le Callife Seine dinner cruise in Paris. 

Doing Stonehenge, Bustonome London, and probably see changing of the guard and Sky Garden in London. Hoping to add a trip to the London Eye as well. 

And then of course copious amounts of wine and food.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Overrated: the changing of the guard

Underrated:  people watching at Trafalgar square

Overrated: the Louvre

Underrated: finding any Parisian street market and consuming every goddamn food and drink you can. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

For anyone that's been to Europe recently, did you run into the problem of needing a PIN when you used your credit card? 

No 

Just withdraw your money from an atm and spend in physical bills 

The Louvre is one of the most boring places I've ever been to on earth lol.  We really only went there because we were in Paris and it's one of the things to do there.  

The Mona Lisa has to be the most overrated piece of art in the history of mankind.  It was also annoying how crowded it was there and everyone trying to take selfies from behind the rope that keeps people like 20 feet away from the tiny painting.  I didn't know it was so tiny until I saw it in person.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

38 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The Louvre is one of the most boring places I've ever been to on earth lol.  We really only went there because we were in Paris and it's one of the things to do there.  

The Mona Lisa has to be the most overrated piece of art in the history of mankind.  It was also annoying how crowded it was there and everyone trying to take selfies from behind the rope that keeps people like 20 feet away from the tiny painting.  I didn't know it was so tiny until I saw it in person.

This. Exactly. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm going to enjoy the Louvre just to piss yall off. 

And it's the only museum I'm dragging my wife too..against her will. 😁

I’d much rather go to the British Museum than the Louvre. 

Also, please report back on the status of Notre Dame. 

• Thumb up 1

Some decent info here that I didn't know...

Everything You’re Entitled to if Your Flight Gets Canceled or Delayed

2024 has already proven to be a precarious year for airplane travel. In addition to regular snafus, like flight delays and trip cancellations, the Boeing 737 Max 9 fuselage blowout has left travelers feeling a little uneasy. That’s why, now more than ever, it’s especially important to know your rights as you navigate the friendly skies.

While it might feel like we’re staring down a summer full of mass travel holidays and endless airport crowds, know that you're not entirely powerless. In fact, you can now get much more than a $10 voucher for a sad airport salad whenever cancellations, overbooked legs, and excessive delays screw up your travel plans.

Here’s what the airlines aren’t telling you, and what actions you can take to receive compensation for delayed or canceled flights.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/airline-secrets-tips-and-tricks

• 3 weeks later...