Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Large Crack Spotted in Roller Coaster Prompts Its Shutdown

Cooked Crack

A roller coaster at an amusement park in Charlotte, N.C., was shut down on Friday after a visitor spotted a large crack in one of the ride’s pillars.

The Carowinds amusement park said that it closed the coaster, called Fury 325, “after park personnel became aware of a crack at the top of a steel support pillar.” 

The ride will remain closed as crews make repairs, Courtney McGarry Weber, a park spokeswoman, said. Erin Wilson, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina Department of Labor said on Sunday that its Elevator and Amusement Device Bureau “will be investigating and plan to be at Carowinds on Monday.”

“I was trying to shoot the video, and my hands were shaking because I knew how quick this could be catastrophic,” Mr. Wagner said. 

Mr. Wagner, who had just bought his children season passes for the park, said he recorded the damage from the parking lot. His 14-year-old daughter had been on the ride eight times on Friday, he said.

Big yikes

Woo hoo!  That just adds to the excitement.  That's why the rides at the county fair are so fun, because of the element of danger, since you don't know if the carnies put the ride together properly or whether there has been any kind of safety inspection.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Pansy safety regulations.

Clearly, the support beams are over-engineered and that one is not needed.

"“I was trying to shoot the video, and my hands were shaking because I knew how quick this could be catastrophic,” Mr. Wagner said. "

How about you stop videoing and go tell someone to shut the thing down.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who be yelling at video clips where it's so obvious they should be doing anything but jus standing their recording it.

Shoutout to Parents of the Year in that video, btw...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one who be yelling at video clips where it's so obvious they should be doing anything but jus standing their recording it.

Shoutout to Parents of the Year in that video, btw...

The National Park Service should decorate the bison like a fighter plane with decals showing the number of kills.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 3

It really is to the point that you flat can't trust anything to do with corporate America. 
No way they didn't know this. 

Buying off the damages is part of the American model of doing business anymore it seems. Inflate the cost to cover the inevitable, and keep right on rolling.

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Not sure what the NC laws are in regards to roller coasters is but most amusement parks claim they check them daily. Clearly that's not the case at Carowinds. 

I always preferred Busch Gardens. I'm biased tho having lived in VA Beach as a kid. When we moved to NC I definitely thought Carowinds was a big step down.

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Not sure what the NC laws are in regards to roller coasters is but most amusement parks claim they check them daily. Clearly that's not the case at Carowinds. 

I always preferred Busch Gardens. I'm biased tho having lived in VA Beach as a kid. When we moved to NC I definitely thought Carowinds was a big step down.

The park is on the border, so some if it is in SC.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The park is on the border, so some if it is in SC.

I know. That's the closest area to get the real fireworks for the likes of me. #southoftheborder 🎆

NYT article specifically says the North Carolina Department of Labor said on Sunday that its Elevator and Amusement Device Bureau “will be investigating and plan to be at Carowinds on Monday." Doesn't say anything about South Cackalacky. 🤔

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I know. That's the closest area to get the real fireworks for the likes of me. #southoftheborder 🎆

NYT article specifically says the North Carolina Department of Labor said on Sunday that its Elevator and Amusement Device Bureau “will be investigating and plan to be at Carowinds on Monday." Doesn't say anything about South Cackalacky. 🤔

When we lived on Wilmington Island (Savannah, before you get to Tybee), I worked for Revlon/Almay and my area included the Hilton Head Walmart...was a semi-annual trip to the fireworks store for mortars & such that weren't legal here in GA (yet). 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, Corcaigh said:

Pansy safety regulations.

Clearly, the support beams are over-engineered and that one is not needed.

"“I was trying to shoot the video, and my hands were shaking because I knew how quick this could be catastrophic,” Mr. Wagner said. "

A man who tried to warn a North Carolina amusement park about a huge crack in the ride's support beam said staff were 'nonchalant' and had 'no urgency' to fix it

A man who spotted a large crack on a North Carolina roller coaster's support beam said the amusement park's staff were unconcerned when he warned them about it.

"I felt there was no urgency in any of the employees," Jeremy Wagner, who brought his children to Carowinds amusement park on Friday, told CNN on Tuesday.

"Even after they had me AirDrop the video, the guest-services person walked off and said, 'I'll send this to somebody.' And they just turned around and walked off, you know, nonchalant," Wagner continued.

The local news station WCNC reported that Carowinds temporarily shut down its flagship roller coaster on Friday. Carowinds told WCNC that it shut the ride down "after park personnel became aware of a crack at the top of a steel support pillar."

A Carowinds spokesperson previously told Insider that the "park's maintenance team is conducting a thorough inspection, and the ride will remain closed until repairs have been completed."

Click on the link for the full article