Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-head-coaches-on-shaky-ground-entering-2023-season-eight-hot-seat-candidates-to-watch/amp/

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-coaching-hot-seat-index-whos-feeling-some-heat-heading-into-training-camp-224727250.html

For those that think Staley’s job is secure, here are some links to coaches on the hot seat.  I like this particular paragraph from the CBS Sports article:

Staley, 40, has kept Los Angeles competitive. But even with a lineup flush with all-stars, his teams have folded at the worst times, in dramatic fashion. His first year ended with quizzical time management in a Week 18 play-in defeat, and last year ended with a blown 27-0 playoff lead, the worst in team history. Without steady results from a talented defense, Staley's now betting on Kellen Moore, his third offensive coordinator in as many years, to take star quarterback Justin Herbert over the hump.”

Or this from Yahoo Sports:

Staley’s seat got considerably hotter after the 2022 season when the Chargers blew a 27-0 lead and lost in the AFC wild-card round. Despite an incredibly talented offense led by Justin Herbert, Los Angeles hasn’t won a playoff game in Staley’s two seasons. Even worse, the defense finished 26th in DVOA in 2021 and just 16th last season. He’ll likely get one more go-around with effectively the same team, but with the addition of offensive coordinator Kellen Moore and first-round wide receiver Quentin Johnston. A playoff appearance should be the bare minimum.”

Edited by samy316

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Thanks for the info! I have been to plenty of games before but this will be my first training camp.

Im so old I used to go to Carlisle every year as a kid and an Adult when I took my son  and then we would go to Frostburg. We never went to Richmond (not doing the 95 thing for a day trip)  I still have a Redskins Football signed by Norv Turner from one of the training camps. Have never inflated it .

Edited by tomwvr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

If Heinicke put up those stats in a playoff game with the weapons LAC has, would you be blaming the coaching? I don’t think so.

If he only had one TD because he was falling down at the endzone again? Yeah, I'd be blaming him.

23 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Can't wait till 2024, when Brian Robinson gets a real offensive line.  He's better IMO than the fantasy types think.

Among 42 qualified running backs (min. 100 carries), Robinson finished 35th in yards after contact per attempt (2.69) and was 36th in breakaway rush yards (116). In his defense, PFF graded Washington’s run-blocking units among the worst in the league (55.6 run block grade, ranked 23rd), and Antonio Gibson ranked lower than Robinson in both categories.

Still, it can’t be ignored that Robinson was never profiled as a high-end running back prospect like Alabama running backs Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, and Najee Harris. As a college recruit, Robinson ranked as this group’s lowest running back prospect and was a fifth-year breakout who totaled 1,361 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns in his first four seasons.

His lack of receiving prowess further caps his upside in half and full-PPR formats. A second-year leap could be in store for Robinson, but that will somewhat depend on an offensive line that received marginal improvements at best — and that’s putting it nicely. He’s a favorite to handle goal-line work and had an expected rushing touchdown total of 5.63 last season per PFF. He profiles as a low-end RB3 who will provide an occasional spike week when he finds the end zone.

...The Commanders finished 8-8-1 last season, staying in the playoff race up until Week 17 when a loss to the Browns knocked them from contention. For multiple reasons, this season figures to be a bit more challenging. Putting aside the questions at quarterback, the Commanders face the ninth-toughest schedule based on projected Vegas win totals per Sharp Football Analysis, and they play in an NFC East that includes three playoff teams from last season, which includes the runner-up in Super Bowl LVII. A tough schedule is only more difficult when you consider they’re currently home underdogs on DraftKings in six of their eight home games and are favored just three times on the moneyline. A stout defense could stifle a handful of opposing offenses this season. Still, the Commanders can’t afford to finish below league average in scoring if they hope to compete against this schedule. While I like several weapons within this offense, betting on an unproven fifth-round quarterback and a head coach with three winning seasons in 12 years is too much for me.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Can't wait till 2024, when Brian Robinson gets a real offensive line.  He's better IMO than the fantasy types think.

Among 42 qualified running backs (min. 100 carries), Robinson finished 35th in yards after contact per attempt (2.69) and was 36th in breakaway rush yards (116). In his defense, PFF graded Washington’s run-blocking units among the worst in the league (55.6 run block grade, ranked 23rd), and Antonio Gibson ranked lower than Robinson in both categories.

Agreed ... horrible O line and a year removed from being shot... he should be better even in 23

13 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Agreed ... horrible O line and a year removed from being shot... he should be better even in 23

I agree with their take that the O line isn’t much better than last year. 

But I do think he will be better with all that time removed from the gun shots and even better yet in 2024 when they make real upgrades to the O line 

Maybe it’s just because I’m a total sucker and submit to logic and reason, but I just keep thinking Ron would not sacrifice his job because he has a crap OL.  I keep thinking “they must know lies than we do.”  

I mean, if literally everyone is saying “you have a crap OL even with the people you brought in” and they just sit there and seem to do. I thing about it, there has to be a reason.

I can think of 2:

1. They disagree.  
2. Until Friday they couldn’t do anything about it because the ownership said they couldn’t.  

Because if they’re really panicked, they should at the very least be brining every available FA in for a quick look-see to make sure they wouldn’t be some type of an upgrade.  And they’re not doing that. At least not yet.  

The other option is they’re stubborn and wrong.  Which, if true will also mean they will be shortly unemployed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with their take that the O line isn’t much better than last year. 

But I do think he will be better with all that time removed from the gun shots and even better yet in 2024 when they make real upgrades to the O line 

Oh, I disagree a little with this.  Norwell and Turner were Hienicke level of putrid atrocious and often injured.  And we played numerous games with that guy Martin at center who couldn’t snap the ball or block anybody.  Which are 2 important job qualifications of a center. That’s because the dopes counted on Rouiller to stay healthy until Larsen was back and Schweitzer to stay healthy after he never had. And neither thing happened.  

This group is better.  And I’d say a good bit better. 

Now that might take them from F- to C- so a reasonable bump but not good enough by a long shot.  I still think it’s a good bit better than the old, slow, oft injured, unathletic group we put out last year.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Oh, I disagree a little with this.  Norwell and Turner were Hienicke level of putrid atrocious and often injured.  And we played numerous games with that guy Martin at center who couldn’t snap the ball or block anybody.  Which are 2 important job qualifications of a center. That’s because the dopes counted on Rouiller to stay healthy until Larsen was back and Schweitzer to stay healthy after he never had. And neither thing happened.  

This group is better.  And I’d say a good bit better. 

Now that might take them from F- to C- so a reasonable bump but not good enough by a long shot.  I still think it’s a good bit better than the old, slow, oft injured, unathletic group we put out last year.  

I know you disagree.  We've debated this before. 

I am far from an island on that one.  You say you liked the Randy Mueller segment with Ben Standig, he hit the point too as to not being impressed with their work on the O line.  The unit is ranked close to last by every outfit that has done a ranking, not just with your loathed PFF.

Granted no way to know until it unfolds.  but right now am with the consensus on this.  Bottom tier unit.   F level unit last year.  D level unit this year.  I give Ron an F for his work this off season on that unit considering how he labeled it his code red spot when the off season started. 

I am not assuming S. Charles is better than Norwell.   Gates has had an OK career, nothing special.  Maybe Wylie is marginally better than Lucas.   You see that as a good bit better.  For me its marginal at best.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe it’s just because I’m a total sucker and submit to logic and reason, but I just keep thinking Ron would not sacrifice his job because he has a crap OL.  I keep thinking “they must know lies than we do.”  

That's not how you're supposed to do it, amigo...

- First, you draw your conclusions based on the "eye test" and the level of excitement or frustration you felt watching the games.

- Then, you back up your conclusions by quoting the same experts who are agreeing with you, that you were previously ridiculing when they were not agreeing with you.

- Then, you tell fans who disagree with you to "watch the games" (or conversely, ask them "Did you watch the games?").

- Then, you ridicule and insult the head coach/GM/president/guy in the mailroom/whomever for not making every single move you felt needed to be made.

- Then, after the season ends, never ever admit that maybe you were wrong and the player or unit you were praising/criticizing didn't play as well or as poorly as you thought they would.

- Lastly--and this is an important step--hit yourself over the head with a baseball bat so that you forget everything you said the previous season, and start over from scratch.

You and SIP are doing it completely wrong lol...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Man, the people I got into debates with on the draft position threads when they said winning 3 games meant there was no chance of getting the top spot lol...

I mean, 3 games gets you a top 3 pick.

But that doesn’t change the fact Neil Greenberg didn’t seem capable of finding a legitimate point in his post.  

But it’s ok, I’m sure his Twitter followers have no idea he’s full of dog poop.

56 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, 3 games gets you a top 3 pick.

But that doesn’t change the fact Neil Greenberg didn’t seem capable of finding a legitimate point in his post.  

But it’s ok, I’m sure his Twitter followers have no idea he’s full of dog poop.

I thought his point was there was no way the Commanders will be bad enough to only win 4 games this season? (but hedged his bets by saying he's "not sure they're this bad" lol)

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I thought his point was there was no way the Commanders will be bad enough to only win 4 games this season? (but hedged his bets by saying he's "not sure they're this bad" lol)

Well his point was they need to get a top 3 pick because that’s how you get a top QB prospect but they won’t be that bad this year but it still needs to happen.

Which is a factually incorrect statement.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well his point was they need to get a top 3 pick because that’s how you get a top QB prospect but they won’t be that bad this year but it still needs to happen.

Which is a factually incorrect statement.  

every year they decide that the NFL draft's top QB will go 1-whatever number they decide are first round QBs in this draft.  Despite it never happening that way.