Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Fashanu is legit, but I think Peters is going to earn his money and find value with those early seconds.  Personally, I think I would rather have Kingsley and Legette than just Fashanu, and I think it is realistic to get both at 36 and 40.

We can still have a home run draft without both 36 and 40, but it's harder to get a ton of value from our picks without those.  Especially when we'd be moving up to the mid teens and picking Fashanu around his slot.

I thought you said that the team needs 4+ elite NFL starters? If those 2 in the first turn out to be elite then that is definitely more value than 2 depth players picked up in the 2nd.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I thought you said that the team needs 4+ elite NFL starters? If those 2 in the first turn out to be elite then that is definitely more value than 2 depth players picked up in the 2nd.

Kingsley and Legette wouldn't be swings on obtaining depth players.  Legette's upside is Terry McLaurin/AJ Brown, and Kingsley's upside is Penei Sewell.  I'm also not sure Olu Fashanu's upside is as an elite player.  IMO the only OT in this year's class who is a strong bet to become an elite player is Fuaga.

• Like 1

This is my OT position ranking.  Not all of these guys are going to be on my top 100, but it will only be a couple that get left off.  Everyone already knows this, but my position rankings made it clear to me that WR and OT are the two strongest and deepest positions in this year's class.  Some of the others won't yield 20 draftable players, much less 20 worthy of going in the top 100.

1 - Taliese Fuaga
2 - Olu Fashanu
3 - JC Latham
4 - Kingsley Suamataia
5 - Joe Alt
6 - Amarius Mims
7 - Graham Barton
8 - Troy Fautanu
9 - Jordan Morgan
10 - Kiran Amegadjie
11 - Patrick Paul
12 - Blake Fisher
13 - Caedan Wallace
14 - Roger Rosengarten
15 - Tyler Guyton
16 - Isaiah Adams
17 - Ethan Driskell
18 - Javon Foster
19 - Dominick Puni
20 - Christian Jones

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You're super low on Alt. I agree that he's not a slam dunk superstar LT but I think he'll be a high quality LT or RT for a decade+. Fashanu might end up being the better pass protector though and a more natural long term LT.

I'm with you on Fuaga though. Have loved him for quite some time. He might legit be going top 10. (Jets should take him 10th but they'll probably find a way to eff it up)

But there is a big mish mash of guys after and I'm not sure how to rank em. Like I don't think there is much discernible difference between, say, Guyton and Saumataia. Mims is such a massive Wild Card and I'm not sure we're in a position to take him(but he'd do really well on a team like the Ravens or 49ers).

Personally think Fautanu and Morgan are more Gs than Ts.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Kingsley and Legette wouldn't be swings on obtaining depth players.  Legette's upside is Terry McLaurin/AJ Brown, and Kingsley's upside is Penei Sewell.  I'm also not sure Olu Fashanu's upside is as an elite player.  IMO the only OT in this year's class who is a strong bet to become an elite player is Fuaga.

I'd put Mimms in that category as well.  His major issue is durability. 

10 hours ago, Conn said:

I’m sure you did something to deserve this @Voice_of_Reason

He has McCarthy over Marvin Harrison Jr. 😮 

Thats A Bold Strategy Cotton GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I wonder if he is as sure about this as he was that the NFL messed up by not selecting Malik Willis in the top 10 of the draft.  Things that make you go hmmmm.  

EDIT: Harrison Jr. being 4th on the "Big Board" is a bit crazy.  That's probably where he gets drafted, because QBs will likely go 1, 2, 3.  But that's because teams need QBs and they get inflated.  Not because they are better prospects.  I could argue Harrison Jr. would be the #2 prospect, and MAYBE #1 ahead of Caleb, but Caleb is REALLY GOOD, and I don't think his stock has really been inflated by just being a QB.  

Having both McCarthy and Daniels ahead of Harrison from a "big board" perspective is ... odd?

Obligatory:

Thor GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

(PS: I'm NOT a Marvel guy.  So I have no idea the context of this in any film.  Whenever I see Thor pop up I just google "Thor being beaten up."  And today this was first on the list. I like it. I assume it's Thor, based on the google search.)

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

I respect the hell out of so many of you guys who go to such depths to educate yourselves about all of these prospects. 

I don't understand how in the name of God Almighty sitting on His throne in heaven  you have TIME to do all the "work" you do, basically just for fun, but I gotta say, FOR THE MOST PART (capitalization for emphasis) the discussion on draft prospects here is educated and informative.  (Every so often you get a bozo who doesn't do their homework, but for the most part, they get properly humiliated and leave quickly.)

So, thank you to all of you who actually do this.  I read this thread (not every page, that would be impossible for me) and it helps inform me.  

I don't watch college football.  I watched one game last year, the Michigan vs. Ohio State game with relative who are Michigan fans.

I watched 3 full game "every pass" clips, one for each of Maye, Daniels and McCarthy.  And I've watched a some other highlights.  I have NOT watched anybody else break down film. 

So, huge thank you to everybody in this thread for coming up with your own lists, going over the clips, posting the tweets, and engaging in (mostly) intellectually intelligent discourse.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

This is my OT position ranking.  Not all of these guys are going to be on my top 100, but it will only be a couple that get left off.  Everyone already knows this, but my position rankings made it clear to me that WR and OT are the two strongest and deepest positions in this year's class.  Some of the others won't yield 20 draftable players, much less 20 worthy of going in the top 100.

1 - Taliese Fuaga
2 - Olu Fashanu
3 - JC Latham
4 - Kingsley Suamataia
5 - Joe Alt
6 - Amarius Mims
7 - Graham Barton
8 - Troy Fautanu
9 - Jordan Morgan
10 - Kiran Amegadjie
11 - Patrick Paul
12 - Blake Fisher
13 - Caedan Wallace
14 - Roger Rosengarten
15 - Tyler Guyton
16 - Isaiah Adams
17 - Ethan Driskell
18 - Javon Foster
19 - Dominick Puni
20 - Christian Jones

Thanks for putting this together.

I’m not sure if you have heard this, but a few sources said that Kingsley S. transferred back to BYU because he missed home.

Being that he is only 21, there was concern that he may not be ready to be a pro and start on his own in a new city, etc.

If he slips in the draft that’s likely why, and I don’t really want another Docston situation.

Just food for thought.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

You're super low on Alt. I agree that he's not a slam dunk superstar LT but I think he'll be a high quality LT or RT for a decade+. Fashanu might end up being the better pass protector though and a more natural long term LT.

I'm with you on Fuaga though. Have loved him for quite some time. He might legit be going top 10. (Jets should take him 10th but they'll probably find a way to eff it up)

But there is a big mish mash of guys after and I'm not sure how to rank em. Like I don't think there is much discernible difference between, say, Guyton and Saumataia. Mims is such a massive Wild Card and I'm not sure we're in a position to take him(but he'd do really well on a team like the Ravens or 49ers).

Personally think Fautanu and Morgan are more Gs than Ts.

I've been lower on Alt than the consensus this entire time.  I have him in the early 20s.  I think he's good but not great.  I like his athleticism and balance and size, but what kills him for me is I think he has weak hands.  If a guy can't sustain his blocks, then he has a toughness/motor/functional strength issue that will follow him into the NFL and put a low ceiling on his pass protection.  And I value pass pro above any other skill for OTs.

The guy I'm far lower on than the consensus is Guyton.  I've got him OT15 and a third rounder at best. He can't hold blocks for **** and is not even a good college tackle.  All of the size and athleticism in the world is worth nothing in an OT that can't perform the basic requirement of blocking.

The hardest part of the rankings for me was Olu or Latham for OT2.  Latham has so much more power and nasty in him, but Fashanu is so much faster.  That call very much comes down to which traits you favor, and I ended up going with speed even though I think Latham's film is better.  Normally I try not to put traits over film for OLs, so I don't feel as confident in that ranking.

The most functionally powerful OL in the class is Kingsley Suamataia.  I've got him as a late teens, early 20s pick on my overall big board (still adjusting it).  I think he's the best all around athlete and biggest raw talent of any of the OLs.  I liked his film way more than I expected to going in, where I had the preconception that he was this super raw player whose film would be ugly.  Nope, his film is actually pretty good.  And then it finally clicked for me when I went back through the senior bowl videos and saw his drills in the context of all of the OLs.  This kid is dominatingly powerful and he has super heavy and fast hands.  He gets easy wins without conventional technique because he resets his hands so well and he is such a tenacious fighter with ridiculous natural strength.  I think mock drafters have been sleeping on his upside and that he's gotten lost in the crowd.  Getting him at 36 would be about a +15 value pick for me, and I think he should be a first rounder.

Fautanu was one of the hardest for me to place.  I think his game is ugly, but his tools are elite and his character is supposed to be outstanding.  He's going to work out for somebody, and I could see him ending up somewhere like the Rams and becoming a Pro Bowler.  There would be some years where he could be OT1 or OT2.

The most underrated OT in the class to me is Caedan Wallace.  He is better on film than Fashanu, and really doesn't have any weaknesses.  He's nasty, he's consistent, and he is a good athlete. I think he is a starter and the last of the second round picks.  I thought about putting him at OT10, but decided to shoot for more upside with Paul and Amegadjie and Fisher instead.  But I could accept a case for Wallace as OT10.  He's good and he's not really going to have to improve a ton to be good in the NFL.

I think Ethan Driskell is super underrated too.  His profile suggests a big stiff who can't bend or move and gets his ass kicked at the SB when he has to play against the big program guys, but he did well.  He's a tenacious pass blocker with elite size and length, and he was nasty.  Way tougher and more consistent than Guyton. He's the kind of day three project that interests me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kiran, Kingsly, Fisher and Paul I'd really love in the late second/early third. 

I think we can get an impact skill position player at 36, but I still wouldn't mind trading back to later in the second for a later 3rd/early 4rth.

The talent from the mid second to the early fourth is going to be packed with day one starters at a ton of different positions.

I'm also hoping we can come away with Grey, Cooper or Wilson day too.

Also, my biggest wants are the two TEs I've been stuck on this entire offseason in Sinnott and Cupp.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Thanks for putting this together.

I’m not sure if you have heard this, but a few sources said that Kingsley S. transferred back to BYU because he missed home.

Being that he is only 21, there was concern that he may not be ready to be a pro and start on his own in a new city, etc.

If he slips in the draft that’s likely why, and I don’t really want another Docston situation.

Just food for thought.

I'd rather that be the reason he transferred than he couldn't crack the starting lineup at Oregon.  I had heard the rumors about him lacking maturity, and wondered what they were based on.  If that's what it is, and it's not a work ethic issue, then I would be fine taking a chance on him.  If it's a work ethic issue, then I would probably pass.

Bottom line for me is that I think his upside is so high that I'm willing to take risks on the personality.  This guy is a Penei Sewell type athlete where he was just blessed with elite physical might even be NFL standards.  The game is so much easier for guys like this.  We're going to see reps where he blocks TJ Watt with his left hand while helping out inside with the right.  He's the kind of player I would take a big swing in at 36.  Much as I love Jordan Morgan, he's just not as talented.  And he got touched up by Bralen Trice.

• Like 3

I guess because I'm more invested this year with the new ownership and new start at QB, I've done more mock draft simulating than I want to admit.

I know Penn State guys, and I'm always curious where they land, and by default, I know other big 10 guys from watching that conference the most.  (Side note for those of your ranking OL, stay away from Caeden Wallace.)

Otherwise, I don't know squat.  I don't know a Barton from a JPJ from a SVP, or any of the receivers.  I'm looking forward to saying we should draft xxx at #36/40 because he was taken in the first round of every mock draft simulation ever, and I know I'm not the only one. 😀

• Haha 1

If Keon Coleman slips to us in R2, pairing him with an OT at 36/40 would be phenomenal. He'd give us the size we lack at WR. Then I'd double-tap WR and OT later again, and try for Luke McCaffery from Rice. He may not be as good as his brother but I'd bet on that DNA any day.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Keon Coleman slips to us in R2, pairing him with an OT at 36/40 would be phenomenal. He'd give us the size we lack at WR. Then I'd double-tap WR and OT later again, and try for Luke McCaffery from Rice. He may not be as good as his brother but I'd bet on that DNA any day.

I'd pick McCaffery before Coleman. I just don't see him ever getting open in the NFL and I don't think they'll need to use CBs to cover him, just SS and LBers.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Coleman is someone Ive been up and down on. I think hed be great synergy with Maye since hes a down the middle threat, but with Daniels hed be wasted.

Dont think hes worth it at 40 but would love him at 67. WR is just so deep though.

I'd be totally fine taking Kingsley at 36.  I just don't think he'll be there honestly.  I could see KC (32) and especially NE (35) take him.  We just need to be lucky.