Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

He reminds me a little bit of Darren Lee Sproles.  Can you see it?  Maybe it's just me.  LOL

It's just you 😂

Sproles was 5'6" and looked like Tom & Jerry running.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32. Washington Commanders

Total rookie snaps: 1,547

Notable rookies:

CB Emmanuel Forbes (57.6 coverage grade, 2.0 yards per coverage snap)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-nfls-most-productive-2023-rookie-draft-classes-from-1-to-32

Surprisingly, our 2023 draft class ranks dead among the draft classes. I am so glad, we have new leadership. I like Ron as a person but he was in over his head and it didn't help that he surrounded himself with even more incompetent people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

32. Washington Commanders

Total rookie snaps: 1,547

Notable rookies:

CB Emmanuel Forbes (57.6 coverage grade, 2.0 yards per coverage snap)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-nfls-most-productive-2023-rookie-draft-classes-from-1-to-32

Surprisingly, our 2023 draft class ranks dead among the draft classes. I am so glad, we have new leadership. I like Ron as a person but he was in over his head and it didn't help that he surrounded himself with even more incompetent people.

Surprisingly?

Tanner McLachlan, TE Arizona. Has anyone here watched any meaningful amount of film on him? I don't have access to all 22's, but any highlight vidz I watch intrigue me. Longer, leaner body type, but seems to be able to move really well. Day 3 developmental guy, perhaps??

Erick All, TE from Iowa is someone I am really intrigued by. First, any TE from Iowa will get my attention. And I know he has battled injuries, but he's someone that would be high-upside flier in the 4th-5th round range if we don't address the position earlier via Sander, Sinnett, Stover, etc.

Just scanning through some 7-round mock drafts and the three that I saw had him at R5 Pick 158, Round 6 Pick 192, and Undrafted.

Seems like a logical target in the R5-6 range.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Erick All, TE from Iowa is someone I am really intrigued by. First, any TE from Iowa will get my attention. And I know he has battled injuries, but he's someone that would be high-upside flier in the 4th-5th round range if we don't address the position earlier via Sander, Sinnett, Stover, etc.

Just scanning through some 7-round mock drafts and the three that I saw had him at R5 Pick 158, Round 6 Pick 192, and Undrafted.

Seems like a logical target in the R5-6 range.

Agree, I like him in the 5/6 round range too. But Sinnott earlier would be nice.

Erick all anywhere after the 4th would be huge value.  Guy's great when healthy.

But he also strikes me as the kinda guy who I could see a team getting real excited about and wanting to plant their flag before someone else can get him.

Every year I like to go back through and re-draft for the Commanders based off of the actual draft results. Who would I have taken instead? This year, I have a feeling I won't have too many changes, because we have a competent FO. In year's past, there were dozens of different moves I would have made instead of our picks, and many times in hindsight those pan out (hello Trey Smith). 

Anyway, it's a bit of a fruitless exercise to do before the draft because we have no idea where any of these guys will really go. But based off the PFF prospect rankings, I have laid out three scenarios that IMO provide a pre-draft best case scenario in matching up needs and BPA through our picks. There's Version 1, which is our current pick allotment, and Version 2, which is a version with one desired trade-back. The third version incorporates two trades to get into perfect position to hit every position I want and player I want within the BPA framework.

Version 1: No Trades

image.png.7541d34097bcbbb170b4771f903796ad.png

Version 2: One Trade

image.png

Version 3: All the trades:

image.png.2c22657a84a4b8e3ed3581ea48387394.png

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Man if we got Maye, Morgan, AND McConkey in one draft thatd be ridiculous. Three prime position starters on rookie contracts for 4-5 years is insane.

If you told me we'd come out of Day 2 with Maye, Morgan, McConkey, Sanders and Rosengarten I would do backflips

You could hit defensive depth the rest of the way but that would be hella juicy.

I think my biggest fear is that this FO just goes true BPA and ends up with a bunch of defensive guys. Like a DE, LB, CB, SAF ... and we got nothing on offense until pick #78 or #100. I don't think that will happen, and maybe it would be the right move long-term, but I am really hoping we just load up the offense through R3.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If you told me we'd come out of Day 2 with Maye, Morgan, McConkey, Sanders and Rosengarten I would do backflips

You could hit defensive depth the rest of the way but that would be hella juicy.

Definitely. Sanders went way earlier than that in our ES draft, but there are other good TEs that we can get with that pick. Maybe Theo Johnson.

3 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Definitely. Sanders went way earlier than that in our ES draft, but there are other good TEs that we can get with that pick. Maybe Theo Johnson.

Is Sanders highly regarded (relatively speaking) amongst most of this board? Looks slow and lumbering to me, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Just now, Bantu said:

Is Sanders highly regarded (relatively speaking) amongst most of this board? Looks slow and lumbering to me, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

He's got a wide range ... I have seen some talk of him sneaking into the late 1st and several mocks with him slipping to the early to mid 3rd. 

My guess is somewhere in the 50-70 range.

Rudimentary first round mock 2.0:

1. Chicago-Caleb Williams

2. Washington-Drake Maye

3. New England-Jayden Daniels

4. Arizona-Marvin Harrison jr

5. Minnesota(from LA Chargers)-JJ McCarthy

6. NY Giants-Malik Nabors

7. Tennessee-Joe Alt

8. Atlanta-Dallas Turner

9. Chicago-Rome Odunze

10. NY Jets-Brock Bowers

11. LA Chargers(from Minnesota)-Taliese Fuaga

12. Denver-Jared Verse

13. Las Vegas-Michael Penix jr

14. New Orleans-Brian Thomas jr

15. Indianapolis-Quinyon Mitchell

16. Seattle-Jackson-Powers Johnson

17. Jacksonville-Troy Fautanu

18. Cincinatti-JC Latham

19. LA Rams-Jer'zhan Newton

20. Pittsburgh-Amarius Mims

21. Washington(from Miami)-Ola Fashanu

22. Philadelphia-Nate Wiggins

23. LA Chargers(from Minnesota)-Laiatu Latu

24. Dallas-Graham Barton

25. Green Bay-Byron Murphy

26. Kansas City(from Tampa Bay)-Troy Franklin

27. Arizona-Terrion Arnold

28. Buffalo-Xavier Worthy

29. San Francisco(from Detroit)-Tyler Guyton

30. Baltimore-Kool-Aid McKinstry

31. Detroit(from San Francisco)-Cooper Dejean

32. Tampa Bay(from Kansas City)-Jordan Morgan

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Well, that could just be one person. But in researching the TEs, most places I looked seem to have him in their top three TEs, and going somewhere in the second round.

Sanders scored terribly in the athleticism tests. I think he'll fall hard.

Personally, I wouldn't take a TE until like round 5. Its just an awful class after Bowers and there will be better players at more premium positions in the top 100.

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sanders scored terribly in the athleticism tests. I think he'll fall hard.

Personally, I wouldn't take a TE until like round 5. Its just an awful class after Bowers and there will be better players at more premium positions in the top 100.

That is kind of where I am. He looked very unathletic, but I'm no scout so I figured I was missing something. The kid from Arizona, MacLachlan looks like an interesting day 3 prospect

5 minutes ago, Bantu said:

That is kind of where I am. He looked very unathletic, but I'm no scout so I figured I was missing something. The kid from Arizona, MacLachlan looks like an interesting day 3 prospect

Just because we need a TE doesn't mean we should draft one.  But, we are fortunate that Peters seems to have an eye for unrecognized TE talent.  Taking a flyer on a TE prospect is okay but even using pick 139 may mean that some other team selects Zac Zinter OG before we get to our next pick at 152.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Every year I like to go back through and re-draft for the Commanders based off of the actual draft results. Who would I have taken instead? This year, I have a feeling I won't have too many changes, because we have a competent FO. In year's past, there were dozens of different moves I would have made instead of our picks, and many times in hindsight those pan out (hello Trey Smith). 

Anyway, it's a bit of a fruitless exercise to do before the draft because we have no idea where any of these guys will really go. But based off the PFF prospect rankings, I have laid out three scenarios that IMO provide a pre-draft best case scenario in matching up needs and BPA through our picks. There's Version 1, which is our current pick allotment, and Version 2, which is a version with one desired trade-back. The third version incorporates two trades to get into perfect position to hit every position I want and player I want within the BPA framework.

Version 1: No Trades

image.png.7541d34097bcbbb170b4771f903796ad.png

Version 2: One Trade

image.png

Version 3: All the trades:

image.png.2c22657a84a4b8e3ed3581ea48387394.png

It wouldn't surprise me to see us with 11 or 12 draft picks in total.  

I really wish we could have an apples to apples comparison of this QB class to those in the past.

I do not remember a class that had so many 1st round options at QB. The last one had to be 2018. And even in that draft, the guys at the top weren't the ones who ultimately succeeded. While I could see Penix, Nix or McCarthy ending up as the top QBs in the class in hindsight, it seems like a longer-shot than the 2018 class. Lamar and Allen were special coming out but were raw and had questions about their ability to be pocket passers. While I expect the order to be 1. Williams 2. Maye 3. Daniels 4. McCarthy 5. Penix 6. Nix ...

If 2024 played out like 2018, we'd be looking back in 2030 ranking the QBs:

1. Penix

2. Daniels

3. Williams

4. Maye

5. McCarthy 

7 hours ago, Bantu said:

Tanner McLachlan, TE Arizona. Has anyone here watched any meaningful amount of film on him? I don't have access to all 22's, but any highlight vidz I watch intrigue me. Longer, leaner body type, but seems to be able to move really well. Day 3 developmental guy, perhaps??

SIP has a post about him on page 163 on the ES GM Mock Draft thread.

:229:The Rook

• Like 2

Really appreciate all the TE talk, especially the mid to later day possibilities. 

We really need an all around player who can contribute early.

After Bowers I like Sinnott, but not until the 3rd round. I don't see any of them being worth a round 2 grade or selection...but you know at least one of them will go in the 2nd.

I'd like in the back half of the 5th-6th round to grab Wiley or McClachlan but not sure they last. Alt's injury history scares me but if he were to last this late would be worth it.

19 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I am not big with mocks but I love the effort you Chump and some of the others put into these.

I think you have captured some great potential outcomes including some trades that fit what I believe Peters will be looking for.

Really like your passion to grab Zinter later, that's a potential steal for the future!

• Like 2