Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

33 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I still think he might be the best T in the draft. Just less value at RT than LT. 

He's the 2nd best RT to me after Fuaga. I wouldn't mind getting him in a trade up but only if we address LT in FA. Until then, our second pick, wherever it may be, has to be a LT.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Almost impossible to not come out of this draft with a WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

High Floor IMO -- good upside

McConkey

Pearsall

R. Wilson

Burton

Medium Floor -- High upside

Legette

Polk

Franklin

Coleman

Corley

Lower floor -- high upside

J. Wilson

Would love any of these guys but prefer the top list -- McConkey, Pearsall, R, Wilson, Burton.   I think its Legette next for me.  Polk was higher on my list until the 4.53 combine.  Franklin and Coleman IMO might be the biggest boom busts in that group.  Assuming A. Mitchell, Worthy go in the first -- also to me boom-bust.

Our second 2nd rounder is almost a lock to be a WR. Combination of need, not addressing it in FA, and this being a super deep WR class. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's the 2nd best RT to me after Fuaga. I wouldn't mind getting him in a trade up but only if we address LT in FA. Until then, our second pick, wherever it may be, has to be a LT.

Our second 2nd rounder is almost a lock to be a WR. Combination of need, not addressing it in FA, and this being a super deep WR class. 

I think Corner is a bigger need than WR right now. And the second should be a good place to get a plug and play CB imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Corner is a bigger need than WR right now. And the second should be a good place to get a plug and play CB imo.

Yep all this investment in the front 7 is going to be wasted without an upgrade at both FS and CB in my opinion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I wanna see what St. Juste and Forbes can do in the new system. I do agree we need a 3rd nickel/slot type CB. I think there will be some good ones around our two third round picks. 

Regarding OT, if we don't address it in FA then we have to make a move for someone like Jordan Morgan. He's not as high upside as some others but he can be a plug and play day 1 starting LT(even though his future might actually be at G). I'd prefer to take a home run swing at someone like Mims or Guyton but I don't love the idea of a raw starting LT protecting our rookie QB(on the flip side the rest of our OL is full of veterans so maybe we can get away with it).

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep all this investment in the front 7 is going to be wasted without an upgrade at both FS and CB in my opinion.

I agree. A lot of good corners are being picked later in the draft. Charvarius Ward, Brandon Stephens, Bland, Sneed, and so on. I still think 67 or 78 will be a trade down situation and we will draft a couple corners in this draft. 

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I agree. A lot of good corners are being picked later in the draft. Charvarius Ward, Brandon Stephens, Bland, Sneed, and so on. I still think 67 or 78 will be a trade down situation and we will draft a couple corners in this draft. 

67 is a money spot for a CB, particularly a nickel/slot type. 

46 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Interesting take Martin. I think most of these prospects have been pegged as more RT than LT types. Fashanu, Guyton and Morgan are slipping a tad for me overall. My opinion of Latham is that he has one of the highest ceilings 😜

I may be 100% wrong 🙂

I watched quite a bit of Latham during the season. Massive human being - which limits his ability to move laterally or climb. Hes a complete bulldozer in the run game and good at pass pro as well - he does sometimes seem to get beaten inside. He could well end up being the best of this group- but I see him as being a higher floor lower ceiling guy compared to the other top 3 or 4 OT prospects. He would be plug and play at RT.

I wonder if he could move inside. He could be awesome as a guard in a power/gap scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/olumuyiwa-fashanu/32004641-5321-5841-928a-eb3cf26b2462

Now that I know how small his hands are, that's all I can look at. They are soooooooooo teeeeeny. Also, I wouldn't mind plugging him in at LT. 

He's LT2 to me after Alt. The small hands don't bother me as much with all the other physical traits.

• Like 1

Right now, it seems that the team can potentially land as many as five future starters with these picks.  But only if they don't trade them away to move up in the draft. So many options if we give up on the dream of an immediate starter at LT.  We need a free agent who can hold down the fort in the near term and perhaps become the future swing tackle.  I'm coming around to the BPA philosophy (within reason). 

Second Round

No. 36, 40

Third Round

No. 67, 78, 100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You're getting into the mindset of reaching for needs. That is the Ron Rivera way.  Think about which specific players you want at which slots, not which positions.

We are not loading up for a Super Bowl run next year.  We need good players all over the roster.  The best way to use this draft is to get our QB, then draft BPA at all of our picks.

The regime will not end in burning failure if we don't get a good day one starting LT out of this draft.  We absolutely do not need to force anything at OT in the draft.  What we need to do is pick hits, and the best way to do that is by staying patient and drafting BPA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I imagine they are eyeballing this pool of WR's like many of us. Dang what good talent for the 2nd and perhaps reaching the 3rd round. The middle level is very doable while answering the QB and T prior. If not WR it would be CB which also has a ton of depth.

Seems like a given that a good WR will fall to the early 3rd.

Just now, Going Commando said:

You're getting into the mindset of reaching for needs. That is the Ron Rivera way.  Think about which specific players you want at which slots, not which positions.

We are not loading up for a Super Bowl run next year.  We need good players all over the roster.  The best way to use this draft is to get our QB, then draft BPA at all of our picks.

The regime will not end in burning failure if we don't get a good day one starting LT out of this draft.  We absolutely do not need to force anything at OT in the draft.  What we need to do is pick hits, and the best way to do that is by staying patient and drafting BPA.

I think Morgan is the best outcome for getting a day 1 LT.  His short arm length might cause him to fall a bit, but I can't see him falling behind SF as they treasure athletic tackles.  I'd be ok trading up to the mid 20s to take Morgan.  Outside of that, I'm kind of with you in that I don't want to sacrifice picks to target needs.  I do think Kool-Aid (for example) will be there at 36 because of the Jones fracture.  Peyton is going to fall because of his medicals.  I'm taking him with our early 3rd if he's there.  Let him sit behind Wagner & Luvu for a year and absorb before taking over.

Honestly, CB is the #2 code red position we have.  BSJ sucked last year and is a FA.  We have nothing after that.  I think the top 3 CBs (Arnold, Mitchell, Wiggins) will all be gone before 20 because they are in a tier by themselves.  Dejean goes in the 20s.  Kool-Aid slips because of the injury.  

Zinter is recovering from a broken leg, but we can take a chance on him for example. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I get what you're saying and I agree. But I'm a believer in force multiplier effects. We're gonna get our QB, so the best way to augment his development is to first shore up his protection and then get him weapons. That's why I wanna go LT and WR with our next two picks. I don't consider it reaching for needs but there is a good chance both those positions will be BPA or near it due to the depth of those positions at those spots.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I get what you're saying and I agree. But I'm a believer in force multiplier effects. We're gonna get our QB, so the best way to augment his development is to first shore up his protection and then get him weapons. That's why I wanna go LT and WR with our next two picks. I don't consider it reaching for needs but there is a good chance both those positions will be BPA or near it due to the depth of those positions at those spots.

A reach is a reach, no matter the justification. If you pick a guy from tier 4 when guys from tier 3 were available, that is a reach and a mistake.

The best way to support a QB is to give him a loaded team.  Aaron Donald doesn't play on the same side of the ball as Matt Stafford, but he won Matt Stafford a Super Bowl.  Ditto for Stephon Gilmore and Tom Brady.  We need to hunt for impact talent at all of our draft picks, and there is every chance in the world that it's defensive players who are BPA in the second round rather than an OL or WR.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

A reach is a reach, no matter the justification. If you pick a guy from tier 4 when guys from tier 3 were available, that is a reach and a mistake.

The best way to support a QB is to give him a loaded team.  Aaron Donald doesn't play on the same side of the ball as Matt Stafford, but he won Matt Stafford a Super Bowl.  Ditto for Stephon Gilmore and Tom Brady.  We need to hunt for impact talent at all of our draft picks, and there is every chance in the world that it's defensive players who are BPA in the second round rather than an OL or WR.

Sure, but do you also wanna go into the year with an absolute gigantic black hole at LT when you're likely starting a rookie QB?

If we have a shot at a franchise LT, I don't mind trading up for one. But yes I agree we shouldn't reach for like a 3rd round caliber guy at 36.

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's LT2 to me after Alt. The small hands don't bother me as much with all the other physical traits.

Arm length is a bit unknown. Different sources have different combine measurements. It's either 33 and 1/8th" or 34".

I also don't think his advertised physical traits appear on film. If they did, he wouldn't have such issues moving in space or an inability to run block like he does. All he can manage is to wall off defenders in the run game, he can't really connect in space, he's a bit clumsy when changing directions, he can't drive to widen a run lane.

It's like all of his movements are refined for pass blocking only and he looks like a fish out of water when doing anything else.

I don't think Fashanu has as high of a ceiling as other prospects. Fuaga, Mims, Guyton, etc are guys with higher ceiling who are likely to be drafted later than him. He's just a bit more pro ready at pass protection with a high floor for that skill set.

That is until I saw his tiny hands and possibly (unclear) short arms.

50 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Now that I know how small his hands are, that's all I can look at. They are soooooooooo teeeeeny. Also, I wouldn't mind plugging him in at LT. 

I'm looking at pictures of him to see if they are noticeable, or if there is something wrong with them and they look normal in most pictures.  I watched him again looking specifically at his grip strength and ability to hold blocks, and it is a notable strength for him.  He's significantly better at sustaining blocks in pass pro than Alt is.  The only thing I can think of is maybe it partially explains why he isn't that impressive of a run blocker at the second level, and has trouble reaching and sealing defenders.

It's not a clearly defined weakness for OLs like arm length is.  As such, I don't think I'm going to drop him because of it.  I think he's OT2 behind Fuaga, and has a compelling argument for OT1, because he definitely has the highest ceiling at the position in the class to me.  He might have the best lateral speed I've ever seen for a LT, and that's coupled with an anchor that is already NFL caliber and is a tool that is probably going to get significantly stronger over the next few years.  He never got beaten for a sack in college, and I think his issues in the run game might be a bit overstated/fixable.  Penn State ran a gap heavy scheme that put a lot on Olu to hit tough second level targets and have those two super blue chip RBs they've got create from the backfield.  It worked pretty well despite the lack of clean and consistent execution from Olu and the OL.  Those two backs are unbelievably good.  I think Olu's NFL team is going to run a lot more zone, or they'll put more of the heavy lifting on the guards from gap runs.  NFL guard play is way better, and the OTs usually get easier run blocks as a result.

Olu is one of the guys I'd consider moving up for, along with Fuaga.  If he makes it into the 20s, I would package 36 and one of the thirds to get him.  But I wouldn't do that for any of the other OLs aside from Fuaga and maybe Latham.

I would consider making a similar trade for Latu.  I would probably do it for Arnold, Wiggins, or Mitchell too.  But I don't think they will drop to the 20s, and I'm holding out hope that Joe Witt can work some magic with St Juste, Quan, and Forbes.

23 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Arm length is a bit unknown. Different sources have different combine measurements. It's either 33 and 1/8th" or 34".

I also don't think his advertised physical traits appear on film. If they did, he wouldn't have such issues moving in space or an inability to run block like he does. All he can manage is to wall off defenders in the run game, he can't really connect in space, he's a bit clumsy when changing directions, he can't drive to widen a run lane.

It's like all of his movements are refined for pass blocking only and he looks like a fish out of water when doing anything else.

I don't think Fashanu has as high of a ceiling as other prospects. Fuaga, Mims, Guyton, etc are guys with higher ceiling who are likely to be drafted later than him. He's just a bit more pro ready at pass protection with a high floor for that skill set.

That is until I saw his tiny hands and possibly (unclear) short arms.

I think being able to pass protect in space is critical to the Air Raid though, which could matter. Also, you can always coach up run blocking I feel like.

Mims is such a unique prospect. I'd love to grab him if we had a vet LT in place, but him starting day 1 terrifies me. He's got so much potential though. Dude could be an absolute monster.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I think being able to pass protect in space is critical to the Air Raid though, which could matter. Also, you can always coach up run blocking I feel like.

Mims is such a unique prospect. I'd love to grab him if we had a vet LT in place, but him starting day 1 terrifies me. He's got so much potential though. Dude could be an absolute monster.

We aren't running the Air Raid

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure, but do you also wanna go into the year with an absolute gigantic black hole at LT when you're likely starting a rookie QB?

If we have a shot at a franchise LT, I don't mind trading up for one. But yes I agree we shouldn't reach for like a 3rd round caliber guy at 36.

Someone will emerge to play LT.  And if it doesn't happen this year, that's OK.  We don't need a dominant player there either.  The truth is that the shotgun spread passing game killed the premium value of the OT position, and many of the best lines in the NFL are running low drafted developmental types at LT, who aren't special players.  Look at what Philly, Chicago, Kansas City, and Green Bay all have at LT.  We can be OK if we have to go this route too.  If we have to draft a Kingsley Suamataia or Patrick Paul or Blake Fisher or Kiran Amegadjie in the second or third round, then that is a good outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Every single source I've seen has it at 34. Where are you getting 33 1/8 from?

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We aren't running the Air Raid

I think that is likely true, but tbf we dont know what we will be running yet.

That said I can't think of any system that could be/will be run in the NFL were the ability to pass protect i space is not a premium skill for an OT.