Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

My thoughts on SB practice so far:

Suamataiai struggled. Grabby and lungy. Looked better on game tape to me. May be better at G.

Tez Walker looks slow to me. Cant believe that was the best Maye had to play with. 

Legette struggled. Dropped balls, rounded off routes. 

McConkey is nfl ready. Great route runner. 

Latu is still my number one edge in the class. It is not a great class imo. 

Jared Wiley with a nice one hander. Flashed

Johnny Wilson is humongous. 

Guyton did have a miss. Lunged and lost. But overall impressive. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just some notes from weigh-ins:

• Fuaga's length is a bit short for OT. 33 and 3/8ths. It's possible he can make it work at OT, but Guard is making more sense.
  • Guyton has good measurables all around for OT. Weight, hands, length, width. All plus. If they were elite, you'd see more of the 1st round hype.
  • There are a lot of guys here at the Senior Bowl with OT bodies. Like A LOT.
  • Christian Haynes hands are really small for OL. Not as bad for him if he were an Edge rusher, but it's going to make things harder for him.
  • Most of the WR's have smaller hands, especially McConkey. That usually doesn't matter for WR's, except for contested catching. It's not a knock.
  • Spencer Rattler is 6'0 even, I didn't realize he was quite that short. Penix came in a little smaller than I thought and Nix a little taller. Doesn't change anything though.
  • Once you know that Penix's arms are 3" longer than Nix, their difference in deliveries are notable. Penix has sped his delivery up though since the season began. But it explains more so why Nix's throwing motion looks so consistently tight and quick.
  • Edge rushers are looking a little small. The best ones here do not have good length
    • Braswell and Latu are both under 33"
  • The only CB's here that hit the old "Seattle Requirement". Minimums of 32" arm length and 77" wingspan. Acceptable arm length guys can still rock out in the NFL, but it depends on what you want.
    • Cam Hart and Khyree Jackson.
  • Some corners are going to have a big uphill battle in the NFL with their lack of length (unless they move to Nickel).
    • Kalen King, Chau Smith-Wade, Johnny Dixon, Carlton Johnson,
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

1. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

2. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

3. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma

4. Chris Braswell, Edge, Alabama

5. Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA

Well then. Really seems like JPJ isn't making it out of the 1st. I'm surprised that Penix looked the best when lined up under center. I still think he's a good prospect (but not great). If he can operate under center and still make those quick decisions then I'm pretty curious how his NFL career will go. It won't be with us, unless the new coaches/scouts really think the Top QB's have too many holes, draft Marvin Harrison Jr, and then trade up for a QB at the end of the 1st. But that's not happening.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He's got huge potential, but that was a hold that demonstrates probably the single biggest issue in his game: terrible hands. He's got extremely wide hand placement and limited grip strength such that holds are going to be a constant issue for him until he develops an NFL caliber punch and block sustain.  That wide bear hugging contact is what you do when you don't have a well schooled punch with natural upper body power behind it.  And that rip he tries to redirect the rusher with as he gets free is because he doesn't have the strength and technique to sustain the block longer without making the hold completely obvious.

Guyton has barely a thousand career snaps under his belt and it shows.  But he is so big and athletic that someone will take the chance on him as a super high upside project.  I like him for a team with an OL coach who is a great teacher, and who can afford to sit him his first season.  We'll see what happens with our offensive staff, but perhaps it could be us.  I would put him behind the more developed OL prospects on our board though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ntotoro said:

McConkey and Bowers were the two best players on Georgia's Offense. No one else was even close.

And that was also true for 2022 as well.  Van Pran was really good too, probably the third best guy.  I liked Kendall Milton and Daijun Edwards too.

It seems crazy to me that Amarius Mims is being projected ahead of Ladd and Van Pran, but that is the nature of pro projection.  He was very peripheral to Georgia's success while Ladd and Van Pran were completely essential.  I have a feeling they're going to be like that for their NFL teams too.

11 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I like him but that’s not a great clip for Johnny hips seem stiff  and no wiggle. 

Not to mention that he looks slow as hell off the line of scrimmage in it, the exact opposite of what the guy posting the tweet claimed.

I like all of the field level video clips coming out of the SB practices, but the commentary attached to it by the Twitter and YouTube scouts is usually pretty bad, and makes it seem like so many of them don't really know what they are looking at.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A top-50 prospect on my board, there’s still room for McConkey to creep into the back end of Round 1. -- Miller

I'm a big Ladd fan too, but one thing those field level views solidified for me is there is zero chance he goes in the first round.  He is too small for that, and he also doesn't have the kind of speed to get corners to play back on him.  He's quick as Hell, but I'm not sure he's that fast.  I can still see him timing in the 4.5s.

He's looking like a pretty good option at the Bears second rounder, maybe even after a small trade down.  I wouldn't draft him before the 40s, and if he's gone by then, then I would pivot to an IOL or DB or something.

Patrick Paul's stock is making me nervous.  We might be lucky if he's still there at 36.  Im holding firm on my guess that OT7 or OT8 will still be there in the second for us, but I was hoping that would specifically be Paul.  I don't want to get stuck with Guyton.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm a big Ladd fan too, but one thing those field level views solidified for me is there is zero chance he goes in the first round.  He is too small for that, and he also doesn't have the kind of speed to get corners to play back on him.  He's quick as Hell, but I'm not sure he's that fast.  I can still see him timing in the 4.5s.

He's looking like a pretty good option at the Bears second rounder, maybe even after a small trade down.  I wouldn't draft him before the 40s, and if he's gone by then, then I would pivot to an IOL or DB or something.

Patrick Paul's stock is making me nervous.  We might be lucky if he's still there at 36.  Im holding firm on my guess that OT7 or OT8 will still be there in the second for us, but I was hoping that would specifically be Paul.  I don't want to get stuck with Guyton.

Agree about Ladd.  His height is average but he's not the biggest dude and got banged up last season.  He strikes me in the 4.5 range speed wise and if so I don't think he's creeping into the first.  I think he goes late 2nd, early 3rd.  But yeah he's so smooth, a baller and the type of guy considering his leadership skills and charity work that will likely shine in interviews.

Patrick Paul among the project 2nd-3rd round type tackles, Guyton, Amegadjie, Saumataia is my favoirte because of those super long arms which he uses as a weapon in pass protect, a bit cluncky on the move though.  I didn't love Saumataia and Guyton just watching them as pure players and forgetting their traits and talked about it in various posts.  I haven't watched Amegadjie.

For those curious here are their PFF scores.

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 6.28.10 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Going through the OL weigh ins, I don't think JPJ and Frazier are going to get drafted as high as people think because they are center only sized.  Those kinds of players never get picked as high as they seemingly deserve.

Patrick Paul has the best measurements of the OLs by a comfortable margin.  Javon Foster, Ethan Driskell, LaDarius Henderson and Christian Jones have really good length too, and should be worth looking into.  Kingsley Suamataia has good length too.  Same for Delmar Glaze.

Guyton's arm length and wingspan were a little short for how tall he is.  He's a really tall and linear athlete whose body isn't actually that wide.

Christian Haynes has surprisingly good length for being a bit short.  Definitely an interesting prospect at guard.

The next guys I watch cut ups on are going to be Christian Jones, Delmar Glaze, and Kingsley Suamataia.  I'm searching for that pipeline tackle that we can develop for when Leno leaves.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For those curious here are their PFF scores.

I have a feeling Paul is gonna be ahead of Fautanu's current spot on that big board by April.  Elite size and length plus good film and strong pass pro means he isn't that much of a project.  He's a year one starter.  I would rather have him than Amarius Mims straight up, and definitely rather have him than Fautanu or Guyton.

Amegadjie is supposedly going to have 36"+ arms too, but we'll see.  His film is strong but his competition was low level.  He's a nice second round project IMO.

Guyton's PFF scores are interesting and show how he got covered up by that scheme.  They kept him out of a lot of true pass setting situations, and gave him little responsibility in the run game.  His inability to hold blocks before moving on to pretend to look for work doesn't fool me.  I get the theory of why he's an intriguing prospect, I just don't like his actual play on film at all.  I don't think he's even a good college level OL yet, and I think draftniks are taking a major leap on him based solely off athletic traits.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Going through the OL weigh ins, I don't think JPJ and Frazier are going to get drafted as high as people think because they are center only sized.  Those kinds of players never get picked as high as they seemingly deserve.

Patrick Paul has the best measurements of the OLs by a comfortable margin.  Javon Foster, Ethan Driskell, LaDarius Henderson and Christian Jones have really good length too, and should be worth looking into.  Kingsley Suamataia has good length too.  Same for Delmar Glaze.

Guyton's arm length and wingspan were a little short for how tall he is.  He's a really tall and linear athlete whose body isn't actually that wide.

Christian Haynes has surprisingly good length for being a bit short.  Definitely an interesting prospect at guard.

The next guys I watch cut ups on are going to be Christian Jones, Delmar Glaze, and Kingsley Suamataia.  I'm searching for that pipeline tackle that we can develop for when Leno leaves.

I liked Haynes didn't love him, wrote something up about him. but for some odd reason I can't recall any of what I thought.  I got to rewatch him.  Here are some PFF guard scores.

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 7.08.52 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Delmar Glaze,

Underrated prospect in my book. 

These are my favorite mid to late round OT prospects 

Walter Rouse Oklahoma

Matt Goncalves Pittsburgh

Dominick Puni Kansas

Nathan Thomas Louisiana 

Julian Pearl Illinois

Ethan Driskell Marshall

Cade Beresford Boise State

Frank Crum Wyoming

Josiah Ezirim Eastern Kentucky

Garret Greenfield South Dakota State

Andrew Coker TCU

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I have a feeling Paul is gonna be ahead of Fautanu's current spot on that big board by April.  Elite size and length plus good film and strong pass pro means he isn't that much of a project.  He's a year one starter.  I would rather have him than Amarius Mims straight up, and definitely rather have him than Fautanu or Guyton.

Amegadjie is supposedly going to have 36"+ arms too, but we'll see.  His film is strong but his competition was low level.  He's a nice second round project IMO.

Guyton's PFF scores are interesting and show how he got covered up by that scheme.  They kept him out of a lot of true pass setting situations, and gave him little responsibility in the run game.  His inability to hold blocks before moving on to pretend to look for work doesn't fool me.  I get the theory of why he's an intriguing prospect, I just don't like his actual play on film at all.  I don't think he's even a good college level OL yet, and I think draftniks are taking a major leap on him based solely off athletic traits.

I hope JPP does fall and we can grab him. 

looking at the OT measurements, another guy that was extremely disappointing is Jordan Morgan. His arm length was 32 and 7/8.

How much do you think Fuaga’s length is going to hurt him (33 and 3/8)?

I think Ladd Mc is going to be the most productive receiver in the class not named Harrison. He's going to be a nightmare slot guy. His route running is insane. And he's so quick with his movements.

The OLs I'm fairly underwhelmed by, still. Will probably tune in to any senior bowl coverage today though.