Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

A running back I like for day three is Re'mahn (Ray) Davis from Kentucky.  He is 24, a fifth year senior, and was at Temple, then Vanderbilt, before transferring to the Wildcats last year.  He plays a lot quicker than the 4.56 40 speed I found listed for him. 

He has good vision, hits the hole quickly and has an effective spin move in his tool bag

He has really good hands and, in fact, had 7 receiving TDs this season. 

He explodes at the point of contact and will run over people, which surprised me considering his size - I think it is because he is able to get low on the defender.

As I was reading about him, one site stated he is "an excellent blocker on the outside".

Saw a few press interviews and he came off likable, to me.

These are just highlights, so take them with a grain of salt.  The first part, he is running over lesser opponents (Ball State etc) but the opposition is tougher later in the film.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Man, I disagree.  His hand-work and power are the two things that stand out to me the most about his game.  They're the reasons I like him so much.  They are the tools he defaults to, and the most consistent part about his game IMO.  The ball get off is the part that isn't consistent.  He just plays right through blocks and tractors tackles towards his rush lane/fit.  Constantly shedding too with powerful hands.  Are you sure you're not confusing him with the kid who usually comes in as his back up, #54?  They do rotate Verse a lot in order to keep him available if they need him in the fourth.

I think Verse is another Trey Hendrickson/Cam Jordan type.  He is a classic bruiser at DE, and the best run defender at edge in the class.  He destroyed the tackles from Clemson and never really got washed out of plays.  Basically made a stuff at the LoS every time they ran at him look easy.  There were a couple of snaps he guessed pass and overran the play inside when they ran it outside instead, but that's not getting washed out of the play.  I don't expect him to have a poor combine either.  He's got a big body and I could see him measuring ~6'4 270 with good length and good jumps.  His speed/burst is better than expected, it's just not on display all of the time like with other blue chip edges.  I think he'll run in the 4.6s.

I don't know what to say about our disagreement. I'm sure I'll revisit Verse after the combine. I don't think Verse is going to come near Cam Jordan's size. I'd bet his arms are closer to 33" than 35" (Jordan's).

One thing I'm looking at for Edge's now, is a vague impression I have that hand size plays a surprising part of success. Not to say all large hand guys pan out and all short hand guys don't, but it looks like the higher drafted Edge guys with larger hands pan out more than not, and the small hands don't more often than not. Like 11+" hand size compared to -9" hand size. No clue what Verse's hand size is, but if it's large then that should really help him.

Notable Edge guys with hand size 11+"

1st rounders

TJ Watt

JJ Watt

Cam Jordan

Micah Parsons (is arms are tiny, but enormous hands)

Gregory Rousseau

DeForest Buckner

Lukas Van Ness

2nd rounder

DeMarcus Lawrence

Trent Murphy

That's the list of all guys with 11+" hands drafted in the first 2 rounds. That's a shocking amount of big hits, with no clear busts. Rousseau and Murphy are the worst and they profile between average to above average.

11 hours ago, The Rook said:

A running back I like for day three is Re'mahn (Ray) Davis from Kentucky.  He is 24, a fifth year senior, and was at Temple, then Vanderbilt, before transferring to the Wildcats last year.  He plays a lot quicker than the 4.56 40 speed I found listed for him. 

He has good vision, hits the hole quickly and has an effective spin move in his tool bag

He has really good hands and, in fact, had 7 receiving TDs this season. 

He explodes at the point of contact and will run over people, which surprised me considering his size - I think it is because he is able to get low on the defender.

As I was reading about him, one site stated he is "an excellent blocker on the outside".

Saw a few press interviews and he came off likable, to me.

These are just highlights, so take them with a grain of salt.  The first part, he is running over lesser opponents (Ball State etc) but the opposition is tougher later in the film.

:229:The Rook

He's sort of a poor man's Corum IMO.  But I like him, i mentioned him a week or so ago.  I wish he has breakout speed but he definitely has some explosion to his game.   Corum also will be 24. So both might drop some for that reason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Watched a little of Nesbit.   TE, North Carolina.  On an aside count me in the group that Drake will be a good pro, he is so dexterous in the pocket, he can run, throw off platform, hit throws on every level, really impressive watch.  I am not even intending to watch Drake but I've now seen more as i watch other prospects in games he plays.

Nesbit is clearly an F TE.  North Carolina seems to use another blocker to do the dirty work on that front.  Nesbit is a lanky-pass catcher that you line up in the slot.  Looks like he can move for a TE, decent speed.  His body type and style reminds me a little of Harrison Bryant, the college version, who granted hasn't been much in the NFL, a third TE type.  

Didn't see him block much, some decent blocks down the field but he doesn't have the build for it.   Good hands and leaping ability, saw some YAC but nothing crazy.

The more I dive in, feels like you got Bowers by a mile over the next tier which feel to me late 3rd-5th round types.   Last year there were some really intriguing TEs throughout the draft.  

Marshawn Lloyd. RB USC.  I really like him.   lol, he's an early contestant for my guys list for before the draft.   If I had to pick a RB, a guy that fits what I want right now to complement this RB crew, he's my top one based on what I've watched so far.  That is, a dude who brings some speed-explosiveness.  

He sort of reminds me actually of Henderson from Ohio State some stylistically and his frame, too.  This might be an outlier opinion but on first watch I like him better than Henderson.  I got to watch the two back to back and decide.   Just in general the more I watch I don't think its a bad RB class -- you don't have that elite runner.  But you got a bunch in the 3rd-5th round range that hit me intriguing.

He's not the most physical back but he's slippery and slips by tackles.  Nice jump cut.  He has really quick feet, and good long speed -- long legged for his frame.   Patient runner, seems to have decent vision.  If I had to pick his super power it would be quick feet.   I like backs his size -- not that tall, lower center of gravity, which sometimes helps their contact balance and is a smaller target for defenders to hit.

Has some sick stats. 8 YPA last year playing for South Carolina and 7.1 YPA this year.    No career fumbles.  He can catch.  He would IMO certainly fit that different style from Robinson-Rodriguez we could use in the back field.  

He's a local I know which is good and bad depending on the player -- good examples would be Jonathan Allen, D. Hall.  Had a knee knjury

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/usc/2022/09/08/why-south-carolina-football-trusts-marshawn-lloyd-top-running-back/7974973001/

Bill McGregor coached Lloyd in his senior season at Dematha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, and always knew the running back would succeed at the college level, even after his injury. McGregor also coached former Philadelphia Eagles All-Pro Brian Westbrook at Dematha and said he sees many similarities between the two.

"I think Marshawn has a whole lot like Brian. Anytime he touches the ball, he can score," McGregor said. "He's a great competitor. He's very intelligent on the field — he has a lot of football savvy. And just like Brian, Brian had a knee injury his senior year ... then came back, went to Villanova and won the Walter Payton Award. It shows you the kind of young men they are in terms of overcoming adversity."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is one of the better mocks, I believe this will be fairly accurate.  But I do question the thought that LT is not at the top of the list of needs. It's right at the top along with ILB and LG.

Honestly...just pick a position and it's a need. Only ones we can probably say aren't a big need are QB, DT, and RB. We've had a streak of poor drafts and we've got a lot of impending FA's.

Our current secondary plays like ass, was that just coaching issues or is it really that devoid of talent? Kendall Fuller will be a FA too.

CB, ILB, FS, LG, C, OT, and WR are all in rough spots. Does our youth pan out? Well...past few drafts would indicate no.

Our biggest need, the tippity top of needs...is elite talent. We have none.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is one of the better mocks, I believe this will be fairly accurate.  But I do question the thought that LT is not at the top of the list of needs. It's right at the top along with ILB and LG.

From what I've heard so far I don't buy the Cards skip QB.  I feel that even more strongly now that I've watched a bit more of Drake Maye.  But I notice its sort of a draft hipster thing to put Harrison Jr., in some mocks first or 2nd.  And also mock drafters reallt want to give NE the QB.   I suspect that won't happen in reality unless IMO the Cards and Bears FOs are idiots. 

But putting Harrison 1st or 2nd, gets I noticed media play for the mocl, talking heads love the topic it seems.  And I am a massive Harrison fan.  So I got plenty of love for him.  But IMO its borderline ridiculous that the Bears would skip Caleb which Brugler didn't do but I've seen others do. 

And I don't feel as strongly about the Cardinals but I also would be suprised if they pass over Maye.  Yeah the Murray contract sucks, kills you in 2024, but not as bad after that.  They are passing on Maye for a a dude coming off a major injury who we've heard repeatedly that isn't liked in the locker room and isn't the hardest worker?  Murray is off the a crappy start coming off his injury so my guess for the Cards to want to stick with him at a minimum he needs to start playing better.

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Honestly...just pick a position and it's a need. Only ones we can probably say aren't a big need are QB, DT, and RB. We've had a streak of poor drafts and we've got a lot of impending FA's.

Our current secondary plays like ass, was that just coaching issues or is it really that devoid of talent? Kendall Fuller will be a FA too.

CB, ILB, FS, LG, C, OT, and WR are all in rough spots. Does our youth pan out? Well...past few drafts would indicate no.

Our biggest need, the tippity top of needs...is elite talent. We have none.

I think the roster is mediocre. Logan Paulsen who as we know works for the team made me feel a bit better the other day saying its not the talent but coaching -- I found that wild considering who his employer is.

But to your point, we lack great players let alone elite.   We need dudes who can change the game. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marshawn Lloyd. RB USC.  I really like him.   lol, he's an early contestant for my guys list for before the draft.   If I had to pick a RB, a guy that fits what I want right now to complement this RB crew, he's my top one based on what I've watched so far.  That is, a dude who brings some speed-explosiveness.  

He sort of reminds me actually of Henderson from Ohio State some stylistically and his frame, too.  This might be an outlier opinion but on first watch I like him better than Henderson.  I got to watch the two back to back and decide.   Just in general the more I watch I don't think its a bad RB class -- you don't have that elite runner.  But you got a bunch in the 3rd-5th round range that hit me intriguing.

He's not the most physical back but he's slippery and slips by tackles.  Nice jump cut.  He has really quick feet, and good long speed -- long legged for his frame.   Patient runner, seems to have decent vision.  If I had to pick his super power it would be quick feet.   I like backs his size -- not that tall, lower center of gravity, which sometimes helps their contact balance and is a smaller target for defenders to hit.

Has some sick stats. 8 YPA last year playing for South Carolina and 7.1 YPA this year.    No career fumbles.  He can catch.  He would IMO certainly fit that different style from Robinson-Rodriguez we could use in the back field.  

He's a local I know which is good and bad depending on the player -- good examples would be Jonathan Allen, D. Hall.  Had a knee knjury

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/usc/2022/09/08/why-south-carolina-football-trusts-marshawn-lloyd-top-running-back/7974973001/

Bill McGregor coached Lloyd in his senior season at Dematha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland, and always knew the running back would succeed at the college level, even after his injury. McGregor also coached former Philadelphia Eagles All-Pro Brian Westbrook at Dematha and said he sees many similarities between the two.

"I think Marshawn has a whole lot like Brian. Anytime he touches the ball, he can score," McGregor said. "He's a great competitor. He's very intelligent on the field — he has a lot of football savvy. And just like Brian, Brian had a knee injury his senior year ... then came back, went to Villanova and won the Walter Payton Award. It shows you the kind of young men they are in terms of overcoming adversity."

We definitely need this type of RB. Lloyd is a guy I have looked at some. I am much higher on Henderson. I am not a fan of the dancing in the backfield. Yeah it can lead to a big play (especially in college) like the one clip shows, but in the pros it so often doesn't lead to a good play. While Henderson doesn't just slash to a hole, he shows patience in watching his blocking then ripping.

The other thing is your comment about no fumbles. When I saw that I found it incredibly exciting and had to go back to look over his stats, I think he had a few fumbles...unless what I am reading is incorrect. I do however agree that he would fit our team well and that the RB's are not strong but filled with day 3 talent. I am hoping the same for TE's because their front talent is poor other than Bowers. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I've heard so far I don't buy the Cards skip QB.  I feel that even more strongly now that I've watched a bit more of Drake Maye.  But I notice its sort of a draft hipster thing to put Harrison Jr., in some mocks first or 2nd.  And also mock drafters reallt want to give NE the QB.   I suspect that won't happen in reality unless IMO the Cards and Bears FOs are idiots. 

But putting Harrison 1st or 2nd, gets I noticed media play for the mocl, talking heads love the topic it seems.  And I am a massive Harrison fan.  So I got plenty of love for him.  But IMO its borderline ridiculous that the Bears would skip Caleb which Brugler didn't do but I've seen others do. 

And I don't feel as strongly about the Cardinals but I also would be suprised if they pass over Maye.  Yeah the Murray contract sucks, kills you in 2024, but not as bad after that.  They are passing on Maye for a a dude coming off a major injury who we've heard repeatedly that isn't liked in the locker room and isn't the hardest worker?  Murray is off the a crappy start coming off his injury so my guess for the Cards to want to stick with him at a minimum he needs to start playing better.

I think the roster is mediocre. Logan Paulsen who as we know works for the team made me feel a bit better the other day saying its not the talent but coaching -- I found that wild considering who his employer is.

But to your point, we lack great players let alone elite.   We need dudes who can change the game. 

Yeah, Arizona isn't passing on Maye if they end up at #2 IMO.  Heck, that might be better for us if we end up at #4 and NE is #3.  NE has to take QB too.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lloyd & Kansas RB Devin Neal are my favorite backs in that mold. We likely won't address the position until Day 3 once again but perhaps someone will fall into our laps too good to pass up for value. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

We definitely need this type of RB. Lloyd is a guy I have looked at some. I am much higher on Henderson. I am not a fan of the dancing in the backfield. Yeah it can lead to a big play (especially in college) like the one clip shows, but in the pros it so often doesn't lead to a good play. While Henderson doesn't just slash to a hole, he shows patience in watching his blocking then ripping.

The other thing is your comment about no fumbles. When I saw that I found it incredibly exciting and had to go back to look over his stats, I think he had a few fumbles...unless what I am reading is incorrect. I do however agree that he would fit our team well and that the RB's are not strong but filled with day 3 talent. I am hoping the same for TE's because their front talent is poor other than Bowers. 

On one site it said he had no fumbles but maybe that were wrong.

As for the rest of your post those were fighting words, just kidding. Speaking of running that’s what am about to do. After returning from my jog I’ll watch Lloyd and Henderson back to back.  And respond to you after that. As I mentioned they remind me of each other some stylistically but more so from their build.

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, Arizona isn't passing on Maye if they end up at #2 IMO.  Heck, that might be better for us if we end up at #4 and NE is #3.  NE has to take QB too.

Agree about NE I talked about that on another thread 

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Agree about NE I talked about that on another thread 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On one site it said he had no fumbles but maybe that were wrong.

As for the rest of your post those were fighting words, just kidding. Speaking of running that’s what am about to do. After returning from my jog I’ll watch Lloyd and Henderson back to back.  And respond to you after that. As I mentioned they remind me of each other some stylistically but more so from their build.

Haha you know I'm not a fighting words kinda person! Just my observation but I do like both players

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I could see Arizona sticking with Murray. When healthy he's a dynamite talent and paired with Harrison jr along with the growth of McBride at TE and Brown as the #2 WR and you have the potential for a pretty scary offense.

He’s been bottom of the league as a passer since returning from injury, anlmost embarrassingly so, and wasn’t helping perception of himself as a franchise QB before that. He’s a better fantasy QB than real life QB, I’d be shocked if they stuck with him given the opportunity to try again with a top-2 pick. They’ll just eat what portion of the contract they have to and trade him when his contract allows them to imo. 

• Like 1

Trey Sanders RB TCU is likely a UDFA. Don't know all the background, but his Alabama tape is impressive. It's a shame injuries may have derailed his career. Current Wisconsin QB & former Oklahoma QB Tanner Mordecai is underrated IMO. He's someone I think should be targeted and could be a bargain find. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

They put a clause in his contract he had to study film, folks. They are going to move on the SECOND they get a good plan to move on.

That could be when Williams or Maye... or Nix even... falls into their laps.

He played Call of Duty rather than study. Now, McCaffrey plays Fortnite. And quite frankly no one gives a **** how you spend your personal time. The problem is that he, apparently, wasn't studying film enough because he cared more about the games. Is that true? Hell if I know. But the fact they put it in his contract (and then removed it) is absolutely true. So... smoke/fire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

They put a clause in his contract he had to study film, folks. They are going to move on the SECOND they get a good plan to move on.

That could be when Williams or Maye... or Nix even... falls into their laps.

He played Call of Duty rather than study. Now, McCaffrey plays Fortnite. And quite frankly no one gives a **** how you spend your personal time. The problem is that he, apparently, wasn't studying film enough because he cared more about the games. Is that true? Hell if I know. But the fact they put it in his contract (and then removed it) is absolutely true. So... smoke/fire.

I haven't been following but a clause in whose contract, KDawg?