WEIGHT 248 lbs
ARM 34 1/4’’
HAND 10’’

Draft Scouting Report

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 66.40 (Role player) 

Pro Comparison: Tashawn Bower 

Summary:

Andre Jones is more of a specialized edge rusher who wins with quickness and waist bend at the high side of his rush. He needs to improve his play strength to be more effective at the point of attack and hold run gaps. He is a fluid athlete capable of dropping into coverage. Jones needs to develop more counter moves. 

Strengths:

• Good athleticism to drop into coverage
  • Good bend at the high side of his rush
  • Fluid athlete with good quickness to set up pass-rush moves
  • Long arms to dictate action at the point of contact

Weaknesses:

• Below-average job of turning speed to power
  • Play strength needs to improve in order to hold up in run defense
  • Needs to develop more counter moves

Combine Results:

• Vertical: 29 inches
  • Broad Jump: 9 feet, 8 inches

NFL.com Player profile

Production Score 52

2023 Combine EDGE Rank: 33rd

Athleticism Score *est 56

2023 Combine EDGE Rank: 34th

Total Score 53

2023 Combine EDGE Rank: 35th

Prospect Grade

Candidate For Bottom Of Roster Or Practice Squad

Overview

Long-limbed edge defender with an angular frame and a willingness to take on all comers. Jones’ production might not jump off the page, but he’s athletic and uses his length to put himself in position to make tackles. Jones could use more strength in his lower half both as a run defender and pass rusher. While they aren’t sustained, there are flashes of rush potential that might create a roster opportunity after a year on a practice squad.

Strengths

Adequate size with good length along the edge.

Punches and separates from blocker before seeking out the ball-carrier.

Quick feet to dart around traffic looking for the tackle.

Attacks blockers with forceful hands and lead shoulder.

Decent three-step speed to the top of the rush arc.

Hits sudden inside stride to attack the B-gap.

Transitions from run defender to pass rusher quickly.

*Click Link For More* 

^ I always smile and get a little emotional when I hear those calls.  Young man just achieved his goal of playing in the NFL, and it clearly means a lot.  He's a 7th rounder and may never make the roster, but he has made it to this point and now has the opportunity to have a career doing something he loves.

Way to go Andre, cheering for you.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Logan Paulsen touted what he saw from Jones, so it inspired me to watch a game

Nice spin move, rip move.  Active player.  Long arms, long legs.  Don't love his stutter step.  He plays coverage, Looks strong against the run.  Not against stiff competition though.  but from a pure potential stand point, he jumps out, disruptive player.

“We moved him to that defensive end position and started working with coach (Rory) Segrest, and he’s really made himself into a heck of a player,” Napier said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the guy relative to development.

“You talk about development, this guy might be one of the best examples of strength and conditioning, nutrition, mindset, fundamentals, the intangibles that’s required to play on the line of scrimmage. I love Andre Jones.”

The 6-foot-5, 240-pounder isn’t shy about expressing gratitude for the impact others have had on his success.

For starters, there was some advice from his father Gerald about working hard to better yourself that inspired him along the way.

Then there were a handful of graduate assistant coaches who helped him learn the playbook.

“They used to encourage me,” Jones said. “By them encouraging me ... it made me want to learn more. You’ve got to want more for yourself.”

The next level came from his position coach Segrest.

“He played a big role,” Jones said. “With him, it’s technique. He got my technique right and everything started falling into place. When I got into his room with him, everything started falling in place.

“He got my footwork right, he got a lot of things right. I’ve got to give him props. He brought me a long way.”

Then there's his colleagues on the defensive front, such as Tayland Humphrey and Zi’Yon Hill.

“We do feed off each other,” Jones said. “We’ve been around each other for so long, we all know what we’re supposed to do. We just look at each other and give that look, ‘Hey, it’s time to handle business.’

“We’re all on the same page. It’s very seldom to catch us not on the same page. We communicate, and it’s time to go get it.”

In so many ways, Napier sees Jones as a shining example of what his program is all about.

“He makes a lot of effort plays,” Napier said. “I respect the guy because of his work ethic, his practice habits … just overall, the guy’s a tough dude. He’s absolutely what we’re about. He’s come a long way.”

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/sports/ul_lafayette/andre-jones-a-shining-example-of-a-ul-success-story-in-billy-napier-era/article_445ae98c-4733-11ec-a28b-27a4f794fdc0.html

Edited by Skinsinparadise

13 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

That Andre Jones/Rivera phone call is where it’s at!! Welcome young man. 

Pretty sure he’s with a friend at the time who shouts and swears in the background whilst he’s still on to Rivera. Maybe that’s why it’s not there.

Looks like he has something about him to be fair 

Edited by Est.1974