Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

I get being underwhelmed. 

But…

All three players we’ve taken are good football players. That does mean something. We are adding talented players who are typically high character people who have a little of that dog in them.

There are concerns for sure with the strategic part of the draft. Absolutely. It’s been an issue the entire time this regime has been in power. We just don’t maximize the draft. 

But it’s kind of what they do. They keep it medium. Not talent wise, necessarily. But they don’t take a lot of risks. It’s a very steady approach based on drafting for need.

I’m not a huge fan of need drafting. It makes you take guys valued lower than where you’re drafting usually. Which doesn’t typically let you add a lot of high end talent because you’re fishing for filling holes. They are also doing it in what seems to be a predetermined way. 

But, we are filling holes. And we are doing it with talent.

The major positive is this FO has shown they find talented players in the draft. That has been an absolute constant. They don’t draft bums and uncover talent throughout the entirety of the draft.

We also show, strategically, we are afraid of risk and maximizing value. 

But all three players we’ve drafted are good players. So… at least there’s that.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ringo. Herbig, Mallory, Duncan, Wyle, Skinner, Kuntz, Pace, Broeker, Tune, Haener, Vaugn, Ricks, Hunter, Diabate.

So many players left that I'm high on.

I'm shocked by Ringo. WTF? Great physical traits and young as heck. Great attitude, too. Hard worker. No idea what happened to him.

Herbig is who I want in the 4rth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ringo. Herbig, Mallory, Duncan, Wyle, Skinner, Kuntz, Pace, Broeker, Tune, Haener, Vaugn, Ricks, Hunter, Diabate.

So many players left that I'm high on.

I'm shocked by Ringo. WTF? Great physical traits and young as heck. Great attitude, too. Hard worker. No idea what happened to him.

Herbig is who I want in the 4rth.

Killer list for the 4th round. I'd add Saldiveri, Roschon, Gray, Chase Brown, TooToo and S. Dennis

My pick is Pace, with a side of Roschon,Vaughn, Brown or Dawand

The end of this round is where the injured Skinner will become a great deal for Hyb

Did I mention I want Pace...😀

Just now, DWinzit said:

Killer list for the 4th round. I'd add Saldiveri, Roschon, Gray, Chase Brown, TooToo and S. Dennis

The end of this round is where the injured Skinner will become a great deal for Hyb

We need a pass rusher. Pace is a great example of a guy who can actually play ILB and pass rush. That gives him the positional flex this regime craves, too. 

There are more than a few backs left who would help.

OL still has quite a bit of talent. I’m guessing, though. That we’d take Zion Nelson or Jaelyn Duncan before Dawand Jones. Him not showing up for his top 30 is not a character move this regime likes or rewards. I mean, who knows. But, I’d be surprised if we took him.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I ain’t gonna lie.  I’m extremely underwhelmed by our draft so far.

Every player selected was projected to be drafted lower than they were.  

I'm fine with that as long as they pan out like Dotson who was also drafted higher than expected.

Today, rounds 4-7, is the most intriguing parts of the draft for me. THIS is where you can set the team up for the future with savvy selections. Curl, Niles Paul, Chris Thompson, Ioannidis, Morris, and Settle all came late. Today is one of the most important days of all. Excited for it. 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We need a pass rusher. Pace is a great example of a guy who can actually play ILB and pass rush. That gives him the positional flex this regime craves, too. 

OL still has quite a bit of talent. I’m guessing, though. That we’d take Zion Nelson or Jaelyn Duncan before Dawand Jones. Him not showing up for his top 30 is not a character move this regime likes or rewards. I mean, who knows. But, I’d be surprised if we took him.

I get it with Dawand totally...but damn!

Outside of him, if they draft a T now, it will be more underwhelming than almost any other position.

I probably should have added Charlie Jones to the list

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I get it with Dawand totally...but damn!

Outside of him, if they draft a T now, it will be more underwhelming than almost any other position.

I probably should have added Charlie Jones to the list

Yes you should have. For shame, sir. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Today, rounds 4-7, is the most intriguing part of the draft for me. THIS is where you can set the team up for the future with savvy selections. Curl, Niles Paul, Chris Thompson, Ioannidis, Morris, and Settle all came late. Today is one of the most important days of all. Excited for it. 

This team has done well in this range over recent years. I'd expect a trade today to add at least one more later round selection for just that reason. Along with the usual of late round guys that can play special teams I expect a QB3, maybe a PK and how about a FB Luepke!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Posted this yesterday before day 2, updated with who I think is left on the board from our visits. Guard and LB seems inevitable.

Top 30 Visits

Atonio Mafi, OG, UCLA (source)

Terrell Smith, CB, Minnesota (source)

Kyle Soelle, LB, Arizona State (source)

Braeden Daniels, G, Utah (source)

Keidron Smith, CB, Kentucky (source)

Ben VanSumeren, LB, Michigan State (source)

Brycen Tremayne, WR, Stanford (source)

Mason Brooks, OC, Mississippi (source)

Sidy Sow, OG, Eastern Michigan (source)

I watched Soelle recently, talked about it on the draft thread, decent player IMO even though he's unheralded.

Daniels is a good tackle IMO but undersized -- too undersized for guard?

Sow is sort of a poor man's Avila, Mafi also a poor man's Avila too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I know you guys like Pace, I like Herbig. I'd be happy with either (or both!), but the 4rth round is going to be an absolute LBer frenzy.

I could see 20 LBers going in round 4. Round 5 will leave us with a Winters or Hampton or Dennis, who I also like. There is a lot of potential starting LBers sitting there and I'd think about coming up back into the 4rth.

I wouldn't hate moving up for Ringo or Herbig either. 

Round 4- LBers

Round 5- TEs

• Like 2

More Keim

A.  They love Quan Martiin.  He was the player they were most hopped up on as to considering trading up.  Loves his versatility.  Can play anywhere.  And creates turnovers -- 3 picks, two forced fumbles.  And great athlete.  That was their man crush from the jump in round 2.

I know to some that sounds crazy.  But I and I know @JamesMadisonSkins loved the player.  I got the bug about him watching him late.  As I mentioned on the draft thread, he literally was the hardest player for me to watch among all players this year because Illinois uniform numbers are hard to read and Martin was moving all over the place so he was hard to track I had to slow down the tape.

I know he's an unpopular pick with some.  But the last time I was hopped up on a day 2 draft man crush and got some push back -- that was Terry Mclaurin.  Also @KDawg and I got some push back on Antonio Gibson.    This dude is a high floor player IMO, high intangibles.  It's no longer the end of the world IMO if Curl gets hurt and missing games like it was last year where the defense fell off a cliff.

B.  This is painful for me and @KDawg among others to hear but am glad he was on their radar.  They were really hoping that J. Gibbs dropped to the 2nd.  They loved the player.

C.  They really liked Achane.  They saw him as sort of a consulation prize if they didn't get Gibbs.  Similar style.  I've said the exact same thing yesterday -- I agree with that view point so was thinking about that, and I'll hit back some of the RBs I mentioned yesterday in a post in a few minutes.  Keaton Mitchell for example IMO is a poor man's Achane.  But there are some others.  

D.  Kendall Fuller might be a cap casualty.  He thinks he likely stays but its possible. They'd save 8 million.  He thinks Chase Rouillier is likely a goner

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know you guys like Pace, I like Herbig. I'd be happy with either (or both!), but the 4rth round is going to be an absolute LBer frenzy.

I could see 20 LBers going in round 4. Round 5 will leave us with a Winters or Hampton or Dennis, who I also like. There is a lot of potential starting LBers sitting there and I'd think about coming up back into the 4rth.

Round 4- LBers

Round 5- TEs

Herbig would be good value. Thought he would be gone by now.

My List of Guys Available still... But I'm not double checking and the draft coverage got dry at times last night so there's a chance I missed some of them...

QB:

Jake Haener

Tyson Bagent

Clayton Tune

RB:

DeWayne McBride

Rocshon Johnson

Israel Abankanda

WR: 

Charlie Jones

Kayshon Boutte

AT Perry

TE: 

Zach Kuntz

Will Mallory

Don't like much beyond these two

OT: 

Dawand Jones (but it's clear the character and weight issues have him as persona non grata so far)

Jaelyn Duncan

Zion Nelson

Blake Freeland

IOL: 

Jarrett Patterson

Emil Ekiyor

Braeden Daniels

Anthony Bradford

Andrew Vorhees (injured)

EDGE:

Robert Beal Jr

Nick Herbig (more of a LB. He slots in weird)

Laiatu Latu

Derek Parish

DT:

Byron Young (Bama)

Kobie Turner

Jaquelin Roy

LB:

Ivan Pace

Owen Pappoe

Dee Winters

Noah Sewell

Drake Thomas

S: 

Jason Taylor II

Jammie Robinson

Clark Philips III

CB:

Kelee Ringo

Eli Ricks

Darius Rush

Tre'Vius Hodges Tomlinson

Return Man:

Derius Davis

Fullback/H hybrid:

Brayden Willis

My top 10 Available:

1. Dawand Jones (but again, character concerns mean he is off a lot of teams boards, I don't expect us to take him)

2. DeWayne McBride (my RB3, but I don't see him being the guy this regime targets at RB)

3. Charlie Jones (excellent slot receiver who has done nothing but be fast and produce. I think he could be a guy this regime sees a lot of value in, but with their needs based drafting they'd have to have him really high on their board to take him in the next few rounds)

4. Ivan Pace (excellent pass rusher. A touch undersized but not really. Is all over the field and can also play inside backer quite well with his instincts. 4th best available player but perhaps my top want right now)

5. Rocshon Johnson (He is more of a back in the mold I can see this regime targeting. Can do a bit of everything and he runs like a man with his hair on fire and you're in the way of the pond. Choo choo.)

6. Zach Kuntz (Tight end depth is now beginning to fall off. Kuntz is just about the last guy that I think is a viable target [though I do believe Mallory is a good late round get for us, but after Mallory we're down to scraps]. Big bodied work horse that probably should have already been drafted. Along with Pace and Johnson I think he is a realistic chance for us to draft)

7. Byron Young (not much to say. Just a good player)

8. Jarrett Patterson (C/G. Good player. Not in a position that I see us doubling up on)

9. Emil Ekiyor (Stout, powerful guard. The unheralded Steve Avila but a better player)

10. Kayshon Boutte (Guessing there are character concerns?)

NOTE: I forgot Ringo was still there. :ols: He'd be atop my list here, but we shouldn't consider it.

My Top 5 (6) for the Commanders:

1. Ivan Pace

2. Rocshon Johnson

3. Zach Kuntz

4. Emil Ekiyor

5. Jaelyn Duncan/Zion Nelson

6. Nick Herbig

Guys I want the Commanders to target later, so you can safely project them on our radar a round before they should be drafted:

1. Brayden Willis

2. Derius Davis

3. Dee Winters

4. Robert Beal, Jr.

5. Tyson Bagent

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Herbig would be good value. Thought he would be gone by now.

Same here. He's the last great pure pass rusher. First step is elite, great at getting off blocks. Not sure if he can play off ball, but has the size and in the 4rth round, he's a home run pick.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Round 4- LBers

Round 5- TEs

Pace would be awesome.  I like Herbig too, My guys list ended up 20 players long but my first version was 32 guys, too long, Herbig was one of my cuts.

Herbig would be more pf a project as to playing LB but he can rush rthe passer well and when he was used in space he looked fluid.  Both he and Pace have shortish arms for the position

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

More Keim

A.  They love Quan Martiin.  He was the player they were most hopped up on as to considering trading up.  Loves his versatility.  Can play anyway.  And creates turnovers -- 3 picks, 3two forced fumbles.  And great athlete.  That was their man crush from the jump in round 2.

I know to some that sounds crazy.  But I and I know @JamesMadisonSkins loved the player.  I got the buy about him watching him late.  As I mentioned on the draft thread, he literally was the hardest player for me to watch because Illinois uniform numbers are hard to read and Martin was moving all over the place so he was hard to track I had to slow down the tape.

I know he's an unpopular pick with some.  But the last time I was hopped up on a day 2 draft man crush and got some push back -- that was Terry Mclaurin.  Also @KDawg and I got some push back on Antonio Gibson.    This dude is a high floor player IMO, high intangibles.  It's no longer the end of the world IMO if Curl gets hurt and missing games like it was klast year where the defense fell off a cliff.

B.  This is painful for me and @KDawg among others to hears  but am glad he was on their radar.  They were really hoping that J. Gibbs dropped to the 2nd.  They loved the player.

C.  They really liked Achane.  They saw him as sort of a consulation prize if they didn't get Gibbs.  Similar style.  I've said the exact same thing yesterday -- I agree with that view point so was thinking about that, and I'll hit back some of the RBs I mentioned yesterday in a post in a few minutes.  Keaton Mitchell for example IMO is a poor man's Achane.  But there are some others.  

D.  Kendall Fuller might be a cap casualty.  He thinks he likely stays but its possible. They'd save 8 million.  He thinks Chase Rouillier is likely a goner

It is great to hear of how much they loved Quan. While I like him a lot after CB in the first round it felt like he might have been a consolation prize after those 6 picks ahead of their went off the board....what a group!

I knew they would love Achane!!! I never thought they's have a shot at Gibbs even if he went earlier than anyone figured

How can Roullier not be a goner