Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

This is great news. Of course, his royal anus will appeal to the Supreme Court. But this decision could lead to SCOTUS refusal to hear the argument. 

Need a new MAGA. Make Assclown Go Away.

HTTR!

No.  Remember, his strategy is to delay.  Therefore he will first go back to the appeals court and request and en banc ruling, ie, have all (12?) judges at the appellate level review and make a ruling.  When that gets shut down, then he will go to the Supreme Court.  He wants to take the long way around.

Edited by China

7 minutes ago, China said:

No.  Remember, his strategy is to delay.  Therefore he will first go back to the appeals court and request and en banc ruling, ie, have all (12?) judges at the appellate level review and make a ruling.  When that gets shut down, then he will go to the Supreme Court.  He wants to take the long way around.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid that & have it sent directly to SCOTUS?

Finally.  If the En Banc or SCOTUS take this up, and delay more, it will be a travesty.

Pages 33 to 41 are amazing.  I think I also read in there a really good explanation for why stopping criminal proceedings wouldn't be allowed if he was reelected.

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The appeals court can refuse the en banc request, it's not a given.

Yes.  I saw someone suggest that the fastest path forward was a ruling like this and then denial of en banc and denial of Supreme Court. 

I don't know if Smith can request expedited timelines given the public interest in prosecution. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Yes.  I saw someone suggest that the fastest path forward was a ruling like this and then denial of en banc and denial of Supreme Court. 

I don't know if Smith can request expedited timelines given the public interest in prosecution. 

Trump has so many days in which to appeal, and he'll use every one of them.  Smith can request, it's sort of the cart before the horse and the supremes denied his request before the appeals court process. 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Finally.  If the En Banc or SCOTUS take this up, and delay more, it will be a travesty.

Pages 33 to 41 are amazing.  I think I also read in there a really good explanation for why stopping criminal proceedings wouldn't be allowed if he was reelected.

The first part is good too.  In summarizing the DC indictments against Trump, it lays out for history all the allegations regarding his attempts to subvert the peaceful transfer of power.

• Like 1

Trump's 'calculated risk' backfires after appeals court uses his allies' words against him

The Washington, D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals used Donald Trump's own words against him when they wrote pieces of the ruling in the presidential immunity case. But they also used the words of allies in the Senate and others.

Trump claimed that all presidents have absolute immunity against any prosecution for anything they did while in office on the grounds that every former president would face prosecution for presidential misdeeds the minute they left office.

https://www.rawstory.com/senate-republicans-trump-impeachment-footnotes/

• Like 2

Brutal Immunity Decision Quotes Brett Kavanaugh Against Trump

A Washington, D.C., appeals court issued a blistering takedown Tuesday of Donald Trump’s arguments that he has “presidential immunity” against criminal proceedings—including a savage citation from Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Trump has repeatedly insisted that he cannot be prosecuted for trying to change the 2020 election results because he has presidential immunity. One of his arguments is that the separation of powers prevents state and federal officials from judging official presidential acts. He claims that the 1803 Supreme Court case Marbury v. Madison established this precedent.

But “former President Trump misreads Marbury and its progeny,” the three-judge panel said in its ruling. “Properly understood, the separation of powers doctrine may immunize lawful discretionary acts but does not bar the federal criminal prosecution of a former President for every official act.”

The judges then quoted one of those progeny cases, the 1882 ruling in United States v. Lee. The majority opinion in that case stated, “No man in this country is so high that he is above the law. No officer of the law may set that law at defiance with impunity. All the officers of the government, from the highest to the lowest, are creatures of the law and are bound to obey it.”

What’s more, “that principle applies, of course, to a president,” the judges wrote, citing Kavanaugh’s concurring opinion in the 2020 case Trump v. Vance, in which the Supreme Court ruled that Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance could access Trump’s tax records as part of his investigation into alleged hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

One thing that is coming out regarding the delays.  If he seeks en banc, his trial will continue.  That means he has to go to SCOTUS for the appeal to keep the stay in place. 

We are about to see if 4 justices are really bought and paid for.  Although they may he smart enough to not cash any checks on this. 

So worst case (hopefully) the trial gets delayed into July.  Best case, its late April/May. I think.

• Thumb up 1

I had been wondering why the civil trial for damages had not concluded. Well it seems Alan Weisselberg may be in talks about a plea deal on a perjury charge regarding his testimony in the original trial.  Judge has his decision on hold until this is resolved, this can't be good news for old Donnie with regard to the punishment is company will absorb.

I could have sworn he campaigned on the promise to drain the swamp of corruption.  If he pleads guilty how many Trump people have now been convicted or plead to felonies?  I have honestly lost count. 

https://apnews.com/article/trump-weisselberg-engoron-perjury-civil-fraud-4d598852ee1cafa7ef9976452b42e6a2

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I had been wondering why the civil trial for damages had not concluded. Well it seems Alan Weisselberg may be in talks about a plea deal on a perjury charge regarding his testimony in the original trial.  Judge has his decision on hold until this is resolved, this can't be good news for old Donnie with regard to the punishment is company will absorb.

I could have sworn he campaigned on the promise to drain the swamp of corruption.  If he pleads guilty how many Trump people have now been convicted or plead to felonies?  I have honestly lost count. 

https://apnews.com/article/trump-weisselberg-engoron-perjury-civil-fraud-4d598852ee1cafa7ef9976452b42e6a2

Yeah, that's in the other thread specific for that civil trial.

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

We are about to see if 4 justices are really bought and paid for.  Although they may he smart enough to not cash any checks on this. 

My understanding is he actually needs 5. It takes 4 to accept the case but 5 to grant a stay pending.

*someone feel free to correct this.

• Like 1

Jack Smith Fails to Persuade Aileen Cannon to Keep Trump Info Secret

Florida District Judge Aileen Cannon dismissed arguments from Special Counsel Jack Smith and granted the requests of Donald Trump's legal team to unseal certain portions of the documents they are given in discovery.

Appointed to the court by Trump himself, Cannon was selected to oversee the Department of Justice's (DOJ) criminal case against Trump concerning his alleged mishandling of classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago resort after the end of his presidency. In an indictment from June, Trump was hit with a total of 37 counts initially, including 31 counts of willful retention of national defense information. He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges and claimed that he was within his rights to retain all of the documents in question.

Throughout her time overseeing the case, Cannon has been accused by some observers of issuing decisions favorable to the former president who appointed her. In a Tuesday filing, Cannon once again ruled mostly in Trump's favor when she dismissed Smith's arguments for keeping certain classified information redacted in documents provided to Trump's team during discovery, including the names of certain potential witnesses, the uncharged conduct of certain individuals, and the FBI codename for a separate investigation.

"Neither the Special Counsel's publicly filed Response nor the accompanying sealed filing identifies the information it seeks to redact," Cannon's decision explained. "Although 'protection of a continuing law enforcement investigation' can constitute a compelling governmental interest...the Special Counsel fails to identify the information at issue, provide any explanation about the nature of the investigation, or explain how disclosure of the code name would prejudice or jeopardize the integrity of the separate investigation (assuming it remains ongoing)."

Cannon did, however, cede to Smith's office that certain information about "signals intelligence sub-compartments" included in the superseding indictment that added new charges against Trump in July could remain redacted, due to national security concerns.

Donald Trump to Defy Presidential Immunity Ruling

Donald Trump's lawyers indicated that he will argue that he has presidential immunity in his classified documents case—even though a federal appeals panel shot down that argument in his federal election interference case.

The panel ruled on Tuesday that the former president can face trial on charges that he plotted to overturn the results of the 2020 election, rejecting his novel claims that he is immune from prosecution for actions taken while in office.

"For the purpose of this criminal case, former President Trump has become citizen Trump, with all of the defenses of any other criminal defendant," the three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit wrote in its opinion.

"But any executive immunity that may have protected him while he served as President no longer protects him against this prosecution."

Despite the ruling in the election interference case, his attorneys filed a motion on Tuesday in another case brought by special counsel Jack Smith, indicating that they will argue he has presidential immunity in that case.

In that case, Trump is charged with illegally hoarding classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida and obstructing government efforts to get them back. It is set for trial in May.

In a motion filed on Tuesday, Trump's attorneys are seeking "adequate time to file certain motions."

The defense "currently plan to file on February 22, at minimum, a series of motions to dismiss the Superseding Indictment and certain of the charges therein," they wrote in the motion.

They go on to say that although the defense "is still evaluating potential motions," they expect to file motions relating to "presidential immunity, the Presidential Records Act, President Trump's security clearances, the vagueness doctrine, impermissible preindictment delay, and selective and vindictive prosecution."

I think Jack Smith should wait until Judge Cannon agrees with one of Trump's more ridiculous motions that are forthcoming and then seek to remove her.