Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bobby Beathard passes away at 86

@DCGoldPants

I've said it on here more than once before and I guess this is a good time to say it again. During the glory years of Redskins football, Pat Summerhall and John Madden announced so many of our games because they were the lead announcing team for CBS- which covered NFC games at that time- and the Redskins were always one of the better teams in the NFC.

Madden would always say during broadcasts that "The Washington Redskins are the best run organization in the NFL". Three SB appearances and two SB titles under  Beathard and even though Beathard left in 1989, the great '91 championship team still had Beathards fingerprints all over it. We had the best GM and the best HC in the NFL and it wasn't by coincidence that the Redskins were a threat year in and year out to win it all when those guys were running the team. And make no mistake, as great as the player personnel moves Beathard made, his greatest move was hiring Gibbs as HC.

A Redskins legend for sure and if not for Beathard and his hiring of Joe Gibbs, this franchise would more than likely be right there with the Lions, Browns, Bills, Bengals, Jaguars, Titans, Chargers, Vikings, Panthers, Falcons and Cardinals as teams that have never won a SB to date. 

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

RIP M. Beathard, you're the DP/GM GOAT :815:

6 SB appearances with three different teams, 4 rings with two different teams !, coaching alongside Shula the undefeated 72 Dolphins

SMARTEST MAN IN THE NFL

WHETHER HE'S BUILDING A TEAM OR RIDING A WAVE, NO GENERAL MANAGER IN THE LEAGUE CAN OUTPERFORM BOBBY BEATHARD OF THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Bobby Beathard was the type of person who comes along once in a generation, and is the absolute perfect fit for a team, turning that team into a perennial powerhouse.

The genius of his craft, his ability to find the missing pieces and put them together to create a winner.

I never thought Gibbs and Beathard would ever part ways, they were THE best duo in the league bar none.

Now heaven will be more organized, and smoother running, RIP Bobby, you will be missed.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I always like to say 3 titles.

Even though he wasn't here for the 1991 title, a lot of what he put together here is the reason we won it

I thought about that too.  I just think Caserly doesn't really get his fair credit, for not just 91, but his role in the other 2.  But certainly, the 91 team still had Beatherd's fingerprints on it.  

• Like 2

GOAT-tier Executive. I just heard on the radio he only had three 1st round picks in that era which produced: Darrell Green(Hall of Famer), Art Monk(Hall of Famer), and Mark May(very good long term starter/contributor).

Absolute legend.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 2

I guess I'm not surprised, but hearing about how Snyder offered a job to Beathard to come back and only gave him one hour to accept it, and then had his lawyer phone Beathard every ten minutes to remind him, just shows how much of a snake Snyder truly is. This is how a businessman would act during a hostile takeover, which seems to be Snyder's only business skill, not when trying to woo back the best GM in the team's history.

Beathard, being the truly class person that he is, rejected the offer after the third call by Snyder's lawyer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I guess I'm not surprised, but hearing about how Snyder offered a job to Beathard to come back and only gave him one hour to accept it, and then had his lawyer phone Beathard every ten minutes to remind him, just shows how much of a snake Snyder truly is. This is how a businessman would act during a hostile takeover, which seems to be Snyder's only business skill, not when trying to woo back the best GM in the team's history.

Beathard, being the truly class person that he is, rejected the offer after the third call by Snyder's lawyer.

That story only enhances Beathard's status as a legend and drags Snyder down to an even lower level(didn't even think that'd be possible).

• Like 1

Just wish Bobby had stayed in Washington longer and we could have won at least one more Super Bowl.  He and Gibbs had power struggles at the end.  Jack Kent Cooke told them both that if they could not agree then he would intervene and make the decision when they first teamed up.

Edited by veteranskinsfan
line spacing