Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gun Related News/Control

Cooked Crack

The man, who was shirtless and had a holstered handgun, approached the governor’s office on the first floor of the Capitol around 2 p.m. Wednesday, state Department of Administration spokesperson Tatyana Warrick said. The man was demanding to see the governor, who was not in the building at the time, Warrick said. 

A Capitol police officer sits at a desk outside of a suite of rooms that includes the governor’s office, conference room and offices for the attorney general. 

The man was taken into custody for openly carrying a firearm in the Capitol, which is against the law, Warrick said. Weapons can be brought into the Capitol if they are concealed and the person has a valid permit. The man arrested did not have a concealed carry permit, Warrick said.

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-governor-handgun-threat-85f3a2f9fe73b505660b4f552a94cbb4

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

From the article:

"No one else, including the children that witnessed the shooting, was injured. Clemmons turned himself in to police and faces charges of first-degree assault and armed criminal action. He remains in custody."

How come these people don't seem to get attempted murder charges? Not a thing in some states? Or prosecutors are afraid the charge won't stick?

New York Bill Would Require a Criminal Background Check to Buy a 3D Printer

New York residents eyeing a new 3D printer may soon have to submit a criminal background check if a newly proposed state bill becomes law. The recently introduced legislation, authored by state senator Jenifer Rajkumar, aims to snub out an increasingly popular loophole where convicted felons who would otherwise be prohibited from legally buying a firearm instead simply 3D print individual components to create an untraceable “ghost gun.” If passed, New York would join a growing body of states placing restrictions on 3D printers in the name of public safety.

The New York bill, called AB A8132, would require a criminal history background check for anyone attempting to purchase a 3D printer capable of fabricating a firearm. It would similarly prohibit the sale of those printers to anyone with a criminal history that disqualifies them from owning a firearm. As it’s currently written, the bill doesn’t clarify what models or makes of printers would potentially fall under this broad category. The bill defines a three-dimensional printer as a “device capable of producing a three-dimensional object from a digital model.”

“Three-dimensionally printed firearms, a type of untraceable ghost gun, can be built by anyone using a $150 three-dimensional printer,” Rajkumar wrote in a memorandum explaining the bill. “This bill will require a background check so that three-dimensional printed firearms do not get in the wrong hands.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

This happened in March, but the police video was recently released.

Mom of three likes her 🍷 and points a gun at her fiancé. He calls the cops, she leaves by car, police chase her down, she pulls the gun on the cops, three children lose their mother.

https://wreg.com/news/local/gun-her-down-like-a-dog-fiance-of-woman-killed-by-deputies-speaks-after-seeing-footage/amp/

Livermore Police: Gun store owner shoots, kills attempted robber

A man suspected in the attempted robbery of a gun store in Livermore over the weekend was shot and killed by the store's owner, police said.

At around 2:30 p.m. Sunday, officers were called to East Bay Firearms on the 4000 block of First Street in Livermore on reports of a robbery.

When officers arrived, they found a 28-year-old Redwood City man suffering from a gunshot wound. Police and paramedics performed life-saving measures, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man's name has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

A preliminary investigation determined that the man had entered the store "acting suspicious" and was wearing a mask, hooded sweatshirt pulled over his head and gloves. Witnesses told police that the man attempted to rob the store by taking a firearm while armed with a hammer.

Officers said the gun store owner then fired two rounds at the man, fatally wounding him.

So he tried to rob a gun store using a hammer?  That is terminal stupidity.

• Haha 1

NRA revenue in freefall as member dues plummet

The National Rifle Association is bleeding money and members, according to a financial audit obtained by CREW. Last year, the organization saw its worst fundraising totals in more than a decade, fueled by member dues that have fallen to lows not seen since the early 2000s. The fall has been so swift that the gun organization’s income from its members has been halved in just six years, while its legal fees have remained stratospheric. 

According to the audit, which was filed with the Secretary of State’s office in North Carolina, the NRA raised more than $213 million in 2022, with more than $83 million coming from dues-paying members. The totals mark a 52 percent drop in overall revenue and a nearly 59 percent drop in membership dues since 2016, adjusting for inflation. A CREW analysis of NRA dues going back to 2004 could not find a single year where dues ever went below $100 million, in inflation-adjusted terms. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jared-golden-in-favor-of-assault-weapons-ban-maine-lewiston-mass-shootings/

Was arguing with someone on "X" about this, he said that the guy would have killed people anyway with a knife or hammer or any blunt object. Republicans always want to tell you that it's a mental health issue, but when you ask them to provide funding, they clamp up.

@tshile

Generally I reject your entire post but discussing it means rehashing what is countless pages in the gun control thread which is problematic for two reasons one being this is the wrong thread. 

Part of my post:

Golf clap for all the gun owners of Amercia.  This slaughter of innocents is the price you pay so you can feel a (IMHO) false sense of security. 

Second reason is probably because a debate won't change either of our minds. 

I did try to find something credible regarding how much true defensive use of firearms there was:

https://reason.com/2022/09/09/the-largest-ever-survey-of-american-gun-owners-finds-that-defensive-use-of-firearms-is-common/

Based on these numbers, it would be estimated that there are about 150k to 200k defensive uses where someone fired a gun per year.   Out of that, maybe 37,000 times that bullet that was fired actually hit someone.  It was pointed out that cops missed more than 50% of the time, as professionals in likely close combat engagements. 

The other way to view these stats.  In any given year a gun owner is 99.88% unlikely to fire their gun defensively.  I used 150k over 132 million (population of 331M and 40 percent gun ownership rate) .  In any given year,  gun owner is 98.79% unlikely to use their gun in a defensive manner (1.6M instances over 132M gun owners). 

Extrapolate over 20 years.  Gun owners, over a 20 year timeframe have a 22 percent chance of using thier guns defensively (and most cases involve not having to fire and happening in the home).  But only a 2.4% chance of having to fire their weapon defensively.

Final stats.  Mass shootings are about 0.4% of the total number of incidents each year.  I used the gun violence archive -- about 650 mass shootings per year (4 victims).

I am still convinced that gun control works as evidenced by every other countries response to gun violence.  

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

population of 331M and 40 percent gun ownership rate

Um. You might want to do your math based on adult age, not any age. I doubt 40% gun ownership is factoring in people that are under 18. I’m also curious if it factors in people who are ineligible to own guns. 

I am still convinced that gun control works as evidenced by every other countries response to gun violence.  

what gun control measures work in other countries where the citizens are guaranteed the right to own firearms as adults, so long as they don’t commit a crime that revoked that right for them?

im not anti gun control, for what it’s worth

i do, however, often find that many pro gun control people have stupid ideas about gun control, lack any real knowledge about firearms, and often ignore the fact that we’re a country with a constitutional right to own a firearm and most countries aren’t. 

Extrapolate over 20 years.  Gun owners, over a 20 year timeframe have a 22 percent chance of using thier guns defensively (and most cases involve not having to fire and happening in the home).  But only a 2.4% chance of having to fire their weapon defensively.

Setting a requirement of having fired the gun seems stupid. 

drawing a gun is also effective. 

I’m also unsure of where this idea that I need or want such statistics comes from. As as I’ve already mentioned - there’s some serious problems with the number you used for your math.