Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

Looks like the line is creeping slightly closer to Pick Em'-- was sitting at Commaders -2.5 and now in some places it's -2 or even -1.5. As far a reading the Vegas signs, this isn't the way we want it to trend. 

I think it is a pick-em game. Washington shook win, but this is Washington we’re talking about. Cleveland is likely to show up as if they’re the team fighting for a playoff spot while we’re just going through the motions. 

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I think it is a pick-em game. Washington shook win, but this is Washington we’re talking about. Cleveland is likely to show up as if they’re the team fighting for a playoff spot while we’re just going through the motions. 

Eh, I can't think of one game under RR where I've felt we weren't emotionally invested/prepared. Outplayed and out-coached? Sure. But I don't fear that the team will be flat. That's never really happened under RR. 

I also think the "nothing to play for" thing is totally overstated in the NFL. Teams/players/coaches don't just give up or stop trying. It's not like Watson is going to take a knee every snap or purposely throw interceptions. It's not like Myles Garrett is going to stand straight up and allow Lucas to block him out of the play. What COULD work in our favor is the Browns might not push any guys through injury that might normally give it a go. I also think in these situations if we got off to a really good start it's a tad more likely the Browns lose focus than if the game was earlier in the season. But these are NFL players playing for jobs, contracts, stats, pride, etc.. The motivation shouldn't be overly factored. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I could be wrong but I don’t see Browns fans traveling when their team has been eliminated from the playoff race. Should hopefully be more of a real homefield advantage

1 minute ago, kleese said:

Eh, I can't think of one game under RR where I've felt we weren't emotionally invested/prepared. Outplayed and out-coached? Sure. But I don't fear that the team will be flat. That's never really happened under RR. 

Should hopefully be at full strength this week too. If Curl was a gametime decision against SF, likely he plays this week. St Juste should be a go too - he came back in last week after getting dinged up.

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

I thought they were very flat against the Giants a couple of weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I could be wrong but I don’t see Browns fans traveling when their team has been eliminated from the playoff race. Should hopefully be more of a real homefield advantage

I mean most of them probably bought their tickets when the schedule came out in May. Plus its a holiday weekend. I'm sure there will be many Browns fans in attendance. 

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I thought they were very flat against the Giants a couple of weeks ago. 

I did not. I actually though that was a highly physical, old-school style game with both teams dropping the hammer on each other. Giants made fewer mistakes, had better QB play, and got a few more breaks. 

15 minutes ago, kleese said:

Looks like the line is creeping slightly closer to Pick Em'-- was sitting at Commaders -2.5 and now in some places it's -2 or even -1.5. As far a reading the Vegas signs, this isn't the way we want it to trend. 

I actually like that.  I don't like this team coming into games feeling like they are the favorite or the opposing team feeling disrespected.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean most of them probably bought their tickets when the schedule came out in May. Plus its a holiday weekend. I'm sure there will be many Browns fans in attendance. 

Browns fans are about as good/loyal as any group in the league. It's been awhile since they'd played in DC and the trips are infrequent in general. I anticipate a ton of Browns fans will be there and it may very well be a 50/50 type crowd. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I actually like that.  I don't like this team coming into games feeling like they are the favorite or the opposing team feeling disrespected.

We will see as the week moves along where the line goes-- could still swing back, but in general, sharp money moves lines. In other words, the people that do it for a living. The public will likely be backing the Commanders thinking the line is short against a road team out of contention. But if the line continues to trend towards Browns, it means the big dogs are playing Cleveland. And that's generally the side you want to be on. 

Just now, kleese said:

Browns fans are about as good/loyal as any group in the league. It's been awhile since they'd played in DC and the trips are infrequent in general. I anticipate a ton of Browns fans will be there and it may very well be a 50/50 type crowd. 

Could be.  I think the Giants home loss might have taken some juice from the fan base or at a minimum they might not want to be let down.

I'll be there.  I've had though better luck and better experiences going to road games than home games, hopefully that changes. 

Just now, kleese said:

We will see as the week moves along where the line goes-- could still swing back, but in general, sharp money moves lines. In other words, the people that do it for a living. The public will likely be backing the Commanders thinking the line is short against a road team out of contention. But if the line continues to trend towards Browns, it means the big dogs are playing Cleveland. And that's generally the side you want to be on. 

I get it, just wonder about the psychology of the team.  They were the big dogs against the Giants and the Giants seem to feed off of that in part.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Defense and running game looked good versus NY.  Heinicke and the passing game looked flat.

Statistically, the D had a good night, but it felt like the Giants converted 3rd downs whenever they wanted to and our DL was pretty much a non-factor. No one stood out. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  I think the Giants home loss might have taken some juice from the fan base or at a minimum they might not want to be let down.

I'll be there.  I've had though better luck and better experiences going to road games than home games, hopefully that changes. 

I think you are spot on in terms of what the Giants game did for attendance for this game. The Giants game was probably the big chance the team had this year to generate more interest in the final two home games. I would anticipate a small-ish crowd this Sunday, perhaps a vibrant one though, with a roughly 50/50 split. We all know what's coming in week 18-- will be 75/25 Dallas fans-- MAYBE slightly better for us if we beat Cleveland. The fact that the game won't mean anything for Cowboys won't matter to those fans that already purchased ticets. If it's win and in for us, maybe that creates a little more interest in our fans snatching up what's left out there last minute. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

Statistically, the D had a good night, but it felt like the Giants converted 3rd downs whenever they wanted to and our DL was pretty much a non-factor. No one stood out. 

But a poor outing or getting beat on plays doesn't mean you were flat or even ill-prepared. It's the NFL and the other teams have good players too. Sometimes, you get beat even if you were fully prepared and going 100%. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Defense gave up hardly any points in both games, if they were flat doing that we got something really special unit cooking.   Jones got rid of the ball fast to avoid sacks.

I think the Titans will beat the Cowboys this week. They're at home and control their own destiny to win their division. I think Malik will get his first passing NFL TD(s) and will run for another. 2 Pass TD and 2 Rush TD. (Dallas has given up over 440 and over 500 yards in their last 2 games). The loss will make their last game against us meaningless and will give the Eagles the division. I think the Eagles will lose to the Aints (especially if Hurts doesn't play) and with Minnesota beating the Packers this week (and the Bears in the final week) the Eagles will then need to man-up against the Giants to get home field throughout. Giants will win this week and lose the final game.

Final regular season standings for NFC
image.png.c5ce969406f0e39a1680167a00788df4.png

• Like 1

Something I realized is that Philly should be doubly motivated to crush the Saints Sunday. Not only would they win the division but they would get themselves a better first round pick out of the Saints. It is in their interest to do everything they can to prevent the Saints from winning the division as that could be difference in 10+ draft slots

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, slinky said:

I think the Titans will beat the Cowboys this week. They're at home and control their own destiny to win their division. I think Malik will get his first passing NFL TD(s) and will run for another. 2 Pass TD and 2 Rush TD. (Dallas has given up over 440 and over 500 yards in their last 2 games). The loss will make their last game against us meaningless and will give the Eagles the division. I think the Eagles will lose to the Aints (especially if Hurts doesn't play) and with Minnesota beating the Packers this week (and the Bears in the final week) the Eagles will then need to man-up against the Giants to get home field throughout. Giants will win this week and lose the final game.

Final regular season standings for NFC
image.png.c5ce969406f0e39a1680167a00788df4.png

Game means nothing to Titans. They play Jags for division title in week 18 regardless of what happens in their game vs Dallas or Jax/Hou on Sunday. The Titans and Jags essentially have bye weeks in advance of their game. Doubtful Henry plays. Dallas will take care of business and it may not be pretty. That said, Philly will likely put the division to rest on Sunday vs NOLA and Dallas will be locked into 5 seed. 

• Like 2

I feel like a broken record but basically don't let the game come down to Watson being allowed to win the game on one big throw or "magic moment that reminds us of who he was and can be again"   The Browns are a team with little to play for, so go out there and make sure they are thinking about their offseason plans by halftime.   If this game gets deep into the 3rd quarter with the game in doubt, I will be officially worried.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I feel like a broken record but basically don't let the game come down to Watson being allowed to win the game on one big throw or "magic moment that reminds us of who he was and can be again"   The Browns are a team with little to play for, so go out there and make sure they are thinking about their offseason plans by halftime.   If this game gets deep into the 3rd quarter with the game in doubt, I will be officially worried.

I am already worried. Browns have underachieved a bit this year with lots of losses that got away from them late— talent-wise we probably don’t have a huge advantage. On the balance of the season we’ve been a more well-coached team than Cleveland and we probably have a stronger strength (D) than they do. But it’s not like we have some sort of massive talent advantage. And it’s the NFL. Most games are close. I’d love nothing more than to go out there and beat them 31-10, but I doubt that’s in the cards. I am expecting a tough battle. 

3 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Got a feeling....

Wasn't it to be expected for us to go on a winning streak to blow a chance at the top Qb, only to do well enough to rip our hearts out in the end??? 

10 hours ago, kleese said:

...we probably have a stronger strength...... expecting a tough battle. 

They have MG....they're all tough.

11 hours ago, kleese said:

Game means nothing to Titans. They play Jags for division title in week 18 regardless of what happens in their game vs Dallas or Jax/Hou on Sunday. The Titans and Jags essentially have bye weeks in advance of their game. Doubtful Henry plays. Dallas will take care of business and it may not be pretty. That said, Philly will likely put the division to rest on Sunday vs NOLA and Dallas will be locked into 5 seed. 

I think the Titans could still be in play for the Wild Card so I doubt they sit everyone.