Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Trick Or Treating Become Less Popular?

No Nonsense

My old neighborhood in Virginia had waves of kids some years and it died down when those kids reached their teens. Since 1962 when we moved there, there were numerous waves like that. Once I got Dancer, she barks at everything so I stopped the candy. Here in my apartment complex, there's nothing. 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I got less than usual due to the rain.  Normally we'll get between 500-1000 on a weekday, 1000+ if it falls on a weekend.  Halloween is a whole thing in my neighborhood. 

Yeah depends. Some neighborhoods are busts. 

what I’ve noticed is the neighborhoods that do it well - attract families from other neighborhoods (that don’t do it well). So it’s more of a concentration. And in those neighborhoods people leave - over the years, they get worse and worse as they see fewer and fewer. 

and the ones that do it big seem to get bigger every year as those neighbors try to outdo each other, or new ones just join in the fun. 

the neighborhoods around here that do it big will have a few houses put out a table and a fire pit and sit by the road. My brother in law sets up an outdoor bar and movie on projector as well, for anyone interested in a drink or hanging out for a bit. 

it’s more like a block party than anything else 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

My kids were part of a giant pack last night in my area of MoCo with a pretty high density and lots of streets. So boom or bust was really just dependent on the whims of the horde. 

My neighborhood as a kid didn't have that many kids compared to mine now. So I remember getting fistfulls of candy from people looking to unload come 7-8PM. Ah well. 

I'd guess maybe 50-75 kids total.  There were occasional hordes that showed up and then just a trickle with some dead periods.  I actually gave out too much at the beginning thinking the rain would depress turnout.  When my son got back, I had him go through and pick out all the stuff he didn't want to refill our bowl.

I might get slightly more than other houses because I also sit on the porch making drinks for the adults that wish to partake, so I think some of them make a point of bringing their kids by.

• Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Left a bowl of candy outside our house. It’s still mostly full.

What kind of monsters live in your neighborhood? Probably a whole neighborhood of Eddie Haskells.

We figured there might be pent up demand after COVID so we bought about half again as much candy as we used to and damn if we weren’t out by 7:30. We bought a bit more and gave up after that ran out around 8:30. There were literally hordes of kids coming in waves from about 6:45 to 9:00-ish. We live intown in Atlanta and a lot of kids come from other neighborhoods. Most of the street was out on their porches and the dude across the street was playing his guitar, mostly Hendrix, so there was definitely a block party kind of vibe. The costumes were pretty impressive, the kids cute as hell, and the parents were friendly and outgoing. One lady even asked for a beer and we were like, you’re pregnant, you can’t drink.😬 I’m hoping that was her Halloween getup.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I’ve definitely missed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1