Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Philly at Washington: From Wentz You Came

TK
Message added by TK,

1864016164_ScreenShot2022-09-25at4_15_38PM.thumb.png.be360e40b72103b519e10c87cf20ae8f.png

20 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I have zero delusions about Taylor Heinicke being an NFL caliber starter.  He absolutely should have been inserted into that game at halftime yesterday.  Yes, Wentz was that bad.

Do you recall Heineke’s performance when teams simply pinned their ears back and pushed our OL back into his lap?

I don’t care if his hair is a four alarm fire or if his moxie level is through the roof, he outright stunk in those situations.  It literally makes no sense to put him in there to double down on failure.  Heineke had and never will have any answers for that type of defensive onslaught.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes I do.  The most he was ever sacked in a game was 5 times last season.  

Okay, your point?

He was still atrocious making the games unwatchable.

I turned to Redzone at halftime yesterday as well.  But never for a second was I like “damn we should see what Heineke can do” because I already knew.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

My point is that when you are playing John Beck level football, you need to get benched.  

And put in someone worse than John Beck, in his 3rd start?  What purpose does that serve?  It almost says tot he team, everything else is fine, it’s just the QB who stinks when everyone with eyes can see that’s not the case.  If we get this type of performance come week 10 and this team is out of it, sure - but right now, makes no sense from either a logical or cultural standpoint.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And put in someone worse than John Beck, in his 3rd start?

Wentz is a better quarterback than Heinicke.  But you really hate Henicke...which is bizarre to me.  Like why does the mere mention of his name make you rip the guy?  He's a good backup quarterback.  What do backup quarterbacks do when the starter is hurt or sucking it up?  They come into games.  When your statue of a quarterback gets sacked 9 times you might want to consider putting in the guy who is more mobile and actually senses pressure.  

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Wentz is a better quarterback than Heinicke.  But you really hate Henicke...which is bizarre to me.  Like why does the mere mention of his name make you rip the guy?  He's a good backup quarterback.  What do backup quarterbacks do when the starter is hurt or sucking it up?  They come into games.  When your statue of a quarterback gets sacked 9 times you might want to consider putting in the guy who is more mobile and actually senses pressure.  

I don’t hate Heineke at all.  I’ve literally made several posts about how I think overall he’s a cool guy, who could even potentially have a post playing career in the media.

I haven’t ripped him at all.  All I’ve done is speak the truth.  He is absolutely awful against an aggressive pass rush.  It’s hard to squirt out and run when multiple OL are being whipped from the snap.  There is nowhere to go.  

You simply have selective memory about how he plays.  There is a more bad than there is good, particularly against aggressive defensive fronts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a more bad than there is good, particularly against aggressive defensive fronts.

Seems like this is a recurring theme then.  A significant upgrade (with a healthy Samuels, Thomas, and rookie Dotson) shouldn't have put up zero in the first half in two straight games.

16 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Scott Turner got a pass last year due to the QB situation. He resisted making adjustments during games last year.

how is it that there wasn't an adjustment to keep extra blockers in?

Bro, I have no clue. And the snaps were low every single snap. Like LITERALLY everything from the gun was low.

I sound like a Wentz apologist, I know, but I really didn't want him, it just wasn't his fault today.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Seems like this is a recurring theme then.  A significant upgrade (with a healthy Samuels, Thomas, and rookie Dotson) shouldn't have put up zero in the first half in two straight games.

I literally said this in another post.  That there glimpses of this vs. Jacksonville, more of it against the Lions, and the Eagles followed suit and played 4 quarters that way.  

Our OC is calling long developing plays against a defensive front that is destroying our line.  It’s not one guy beating his man, it’s several on the same snap.  There’s pressure from damn near everywhere and they aren’t even blitzing.

It’s coaching malpractice.  Plain and simple.  Beyond that it also appears to be roster malpractice because this OL can’t stop a nosebleed unless their is a lot of presnap motion that gives the defense pause.

Of course there were a few times Wentz held the ball too long, but I wasn’t seeing the escape routes many of you pundits believe were there.  More times than not, multiple OL lost at the point of attack and guys were meeting at the QB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It’s coaching malpractice.  Plain and simple.  Beyond that it also appears to be roster malpractice because this OL can’t stop a nosebleed unless their is a lot of presnap motion that gives the defense pause.

Ahh so now we can excuse the poor play of the quarterback on the play calling as well as the OL.  

<snip>

Of course there were a few times Wentz held the ball too long, but I wasn’t seeing the escape routes many of you pundits believe were there.  More times than not, multiple OL lost at the point of attack and guys were meeting at the QB.

Yeah I'm not sure Houdini would find his way out of those situations. Our starting offensive line included Graham and Cox.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Ahh so now we can excuse the poor play of the quarterback on the play calling as well as the OL.  

Bro you know more than one party can suck, right?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Very bad day all around that the coaches have to learn from and put the team in a better situation to succeed. They have film from 3 games now to come up with game plans that optimize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Not sure if they have too many excuses left at this point, but after next week I think the seat gets hot.

• Like 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Not now, I’ve been saying that ever since the first drive yesterday as well as during several points in the Detroit game.

There is a post in this very thread, with a link to Reddit with all 9 sacks, along with commentary.  It might help you to review it. 

7 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah I'm not sure Houdini would find his way out of those situations. Our starting offensive line included Graham and Cox.

I’m all for assigning blame where it’s due.  There were a few where Wentz should have let the ball go, one being a third down where he held it too long but that was after 3 straight possessions where the Eagles front 4 wreaked havoc, where there was no pocket or room to escape.  He was definitely a scrambled egg after that.  But by no means do I think we have a QB on the roster capable of making them pay in that scenario.  It was really up to Scott Turner to bail on his original game plan almost immediately and start trying to run the ball and hit some quick slants or screens to back the Eagles up a bit.  But no he kept dialing up stuff that takes 5 seconds to come together, when the OL is buying 2 maybe 2.5 seconds.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Why would Scott Turner do this?

Oh my god, Wentz had a bad play?  You don’t say.  Can you please cite my post where I said that Wentz played every snap optimally?  Or that he even played well?

I literally said the dude was a scrambled egg after the first 3 offensive series.  That is not a compliment.  I turned the game to red zone at halftime, that’s how invested I am.

There’s no reasoning with you.  You woke up with a Heineke hard on and I’m the poor sap around this morning to engage you about it.  Most others with brains are either too smart or don’t care enough to engage with you.

• Like 1

No team would EVER put in their backup in Week 3 with a new QB they're trying to make feel comfortable and show that they're bought into. No one. Every argument to the contrary, no matter how well-researched or reasonable, is moot, because it would never happen. If this is still going on in Week 10, maybe. It was never going to happen yesterday. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

There’s no reasoning with you.  You woke up with a Heineke hard on and I’m the poor sap around this morning to engage you about it.  Most others with brains are either too smart or don’t care enough to engage with you.

Heinicke could be cut or inactive for all I care.  That doesn't erase terrible quarterback play by Wentz.  He should have been benched at halftime.  They could have put in Logan Thomas for all I care.  You decided to make it about Heinicke and seem to have taken the thought of *gasp* Wentz being benched personally.  

Heinicke could be cut or inactive for all I care.  That doesn't erase terrible quarterback play by Wentz.  He should have been benched at halftime.  They could have put in Logan Thomas for all I care.  You decided to make it about Heinicke and seem to have taken the thought of *gasp* Wentz being benched personally.  

You do know the forum keeps receipts right?

You literally showed up in here saying that Heineke should have been inserted into the game at halftime.

I didn’t take anything personally.  i just said that it makes no sense to insert Heineke who has shown he has no answers for what Philly was doing.  Not only is it week 3, but you potentially kill the confidence of two QBs and send mixed signals to your locker room.  There is zero value in benching Wentz unless he was injured.