Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep I’ve said for a while he’s done. I actually thought he might bail earlier. Maybe he’s doing Harris a favour by holding ship for 2023. 

Rivera comes from a military family. He knows how to be a good soldier and for what its worth he's a class guy and from his PoV stepping down would just be the dishonorable thing to do.

that's all he can control?  the poor sap was foisted a GM who built this "meh" roster.  Rivera's one and only move was Sam Howell.  That one looks good.  He built a better culture.  The rest of it he apparenty he has nothing to do with.

Today's press session with Ron Rivera included talk of his future here. He's confident w/ what's transpired: "...I've been through enough. The last 3 years have not been easy. It's been a lot... Is the culture better and have we found a quarterback? That's all I can control."
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

that's all he can control?  the poor sap was foisted a GM who built this "meh" roster.  Rivera's one and only move was Sam Howell.  That one looks good.  He built a better culture.  The rest of it he apparenty he has nothing to do with.

I increasingly believe he is going to retire, and Harris is letting him bow out gracefully.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I really really don’t want to dislike Ron. Seems like a good man. 

But I really would prefer if he’s fired immediately. This is going to get ugly. 

We can question Rivera's moves and decisions all we want, but he's too much of a stand-up guy to let it get ugly. It won't be a McDaniels situation.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I really really don’t want to dislike Ron. Seems like a good man. 

But I really would prefer if he’s fired immediately. This is going to get ugly. 

I like him as person, too.

But as coach this season he's been for my taste insufferable.  The buck never stops with him.  He wants us to pretend he has nothing to do with this roster and we should just cherry pick the highlights.

A.  Him being feisty and annoyed when reporters talked about him needing to win this year.  After Ron himself said he needed to win LAST year.  But apparently he wants a restart this year as a rebuilding year.  :ols:

B.  The send him a SB ring next year when they win it if he's let go.

C.  And now this comment which alludes to him killing it with the two things he cherry picks and nothing else matters.

Ron is a nice guy but comes off to me really delusional and obnoxious this off season where I don't feel bad about him going even a whit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like him as person, too.

But as coach this season he's been for my taste insufferable.  The buck never stops with him.  He wants us to pretend he has nothing to do with this roster and we should just cherry pick the highlights.

A.  Him being feisty and annoyed when reporters talked about him needing to win this year.  After Ron himself said he needed to win LAST year.  But apparently he wants a restart this year as a rebuilding year.  :ols:

B.  The send him a SB ring next year when they win it if he's let go.

C.  And now this comment which alludes to him killing it with the two things he cherry picks and nothing else matters.

Ron is a nice guy but comes off to me really delusional and obnoxious this off season where I don't feel bad about him going even a whit. 

Yep I remember rolling my eyes at all of those.

I get it to a degree. He still has that elite, top 1% athlete mentality and as such, he expects to never stumble and if he does, it can’t be his fault. So he’s oblivious to how he sounds to the public. 

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera comes from a military family. He knows how to be a good soldier and for what its worth he's a class guy and from his PoV stepping down would just be the dishonorable thing to do.

I don't disagree, but as someone pointed out yesterday sometimes coming from a military mindset isn't always good...for example, Rivera showing loyalty to Dustup Del Rio over what's best for his players. Which he really seems to be doing. And it would explain why other coaches don't feel comfortable bringing things up with Rivera (which I can't prove, but I'm speculating since they keep repeating the same mistakes.)

I'll never forget my unit's sergeant major chewing us out before a PT test saying that we wouldn't show any 'integrity' or 'grit' or 'spirit' if we failed the test...and then he went out and failed his PT test. 😆

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yep I remember rolling my eyes at all of those.

I get it to a degree. He still has that elite, top 1% athlete mentality and as such, he expects to never stumble and if he does, it can’t be his fault. So he’s oblivious to how he sounds to the public. 

I'd respect him more if he wasn't always spinning everything.  i thought Bruce was the politician but Ron is giving him a run for his money.

If he wants to spin thing then at least be real a little bit.  If Ron for example said look the season hasn't gone as i expected.  I know the draft picks haven't contributed the way we expected.  But I have faith in this class long term and I believe this draft will age well.  i am dissappointed that the defense took a step back.  We need to be much better on that front.  But i am delighted that Howell is playing well -- we may have found our QB.  If I am back, i am committed to improving the rest of the roster to build around Howell.  Or something like that.

Instead, Rivera comes off oddly arrogant, entitled and defiant.  I get that he's trying to give a positive spin for his legacy.  But I think he ironically is killing whatever legacy he wanted here by coming off insufferable.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd respect him more if he wasn't always spinning everything.  i thought Bruce was the politician but Ron is giving him a run for his money.

If he wants to spin thing then at least be real a little bit.  If Ron for example said look the season hasn't gone as i expected.  I know the draft picks haven't contributed the way we expected.  But I have faith in this class long term and I believe this draft will age well.  i am dissappointed that the defense took a step back.  We need to be much better on that front.  But i am delighted that Howell is playing well -- we may have found our QB.  If I am back, i am committed to improving the rest of the roster to build around Howell.  Or something like that.

Instead, Rivera comes off oddly arrogant, entitled and defiant.  I get that he's trying to give a positive spin for his legacy.  But I think he ironically is killing whatever legacy he wanted here by coming off insufferable.  

I cant even give him credit for Howell, if he had scouted him to the point where he thought he had a shot at QB he would have drafted him before the 5th to make sure no one else snatched him up. Im at the point where Im not even sure he knew who he was before the team drafted him. As for culture, I was all in on giving him credit, but the more I think of it most people are not Dan Snyder level **** bags and probably could have also righted the ship to some degree. Ron has definitely soured on me over the last couple of months.

Edited by Chris 44

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah he is a terrible communicator. He either says way too much or spews nonsense. Or says absolutely nothing substantive at all.

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I cant even give him credit for Howell, if he had scouted him to the point where he though he had a shot at QB he would have drafted him before the 5th to make sure no one else snatched him up. Im at the point where Im not even sure he knew who he was before the team drafted him. As for culture, I was all in on giving him credit, but the more I think of it most people are not Dan Snyder level **** bags and probably could have also righted the ship to some degree. Ron has definitely soured on me over the last couple of months.

He didn't even know Howell was any good until after the Cowboy game and even then he had to be convinced to start him by the incumbent QB "lolol"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He sounds like he's done. I don't even know if he'll get fired, I think he might just retire gracefully.

Ron’s under contract through end of next season and is due $8.5M. He’s not walking away from that. 

It might be positioned as a mutual termination and THEN he retires - but he’s going to get his contract paid out. 

54 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Del Rio should be fired on January 6th for the lulz and memes.

This is funny. I laughed.

But keep for the Tailgate 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I increasingly believe he is going to retire, and Harris is letting him bow out gracefully.

We can question Rivera's moves and decisions all we want, but he's too much of a stand-up guy to let it get ugly. It won't be a McDaniels situation.

This is what I've thought for months now. Let the man walk out on his terms after dealing with this train wreck for years.

Edited by Professor_Nutter_Butter
  • Like 1