Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official NCAA Football Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I know. Doesn't mean it's the right choice. 

Have to say @PleaseBlitz, Garrett Greene has won me over this year. They have a lot of young talent on offense too, if they can afford to keep them. 

Same.  I wanted Marchiol to win the QB battle (and I assume we lose him to the portal), but Green has shown a ton of development as a passer this year, and his running ability is tremendous.  His attention whoring gets on my last nerve, but he's been solid and, at times, spectacular.  

Jahiem White has been a revelation as well.  I'd be pretty stoked about the offense next year except we are probably losing Frazier and more on the OL. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38984023/houston-set-fire-coach-dana-holgorsen-sources-say

Houston on Sunday fired football coach Dana Holgorsen, who had three losing seasons in his five years at the Cougars' helm.

Houston went 4-8 in its inaugural Big 12 season, which included a loss at Rice in September and three straight defeats to end the year. The Cougars finished 2-7 in the Big 12, with their wins coming in overtime against Baylor and on a last-second, 49-yard touchdown against West Virginia.

https://wvsportsnow.com/wvu-hc-neal-brown-on-his-future-at-west-virginia-i-do-expect-to-be-here/

Tweet
    Reddit
    Comments

The job status of head coach Neal Brown has been the biggest question looming over the West Virginia Mountaineers since the end of last season. And now after finishing an 8-4 regular season, Brown is speaking out with his own opinion on if he believes he will continue on at WVU.

“I’m very confident in our growth of our program and where we are going, and yes, I do expect to be here,” Brown told Hoppy Kercheval when directly asked about his future while appearing on the West Virginia Talkline show Tuesday morning.

20 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Me, texting my buddy who is an IU fan/alum:  Indiana Hired JMU's coach.  Seems like a pretty terrific hire.

Him:  Great hire for us.  A career ender for him.

:806:

He could always parlay it into becoming the next Lee Corso. 

It's been since Sam Wyche though since someone has left IU to do good things. The program is also 200+ games under .500 in its history. Yikes.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Me, texting my buddy who is an IU fan/alum:  Indiana Hired JMU's coach.  Seems like a pretty terrific hire.

Him:  Great hire for us.  A career ender for him.

:806:

This is what I don't really understand. It's clearly a money grab. IU can offer him $4-5m per year and JMU could maybe top out at $1.5m ... so I get it from a pure money standpoint. But Cignetti could have stayed at JMU and been a god for 10+ years ... making $1m to live in the Shenandoah Valley. Of course, he can make in 3 years what he'd make in 10 at JMU. 

JMU lost Everett Withers, coached from 2014-2015 to Texas State who was jumping to FBS (for money) ... he went 18-7 at JMU and 24-34 at Texas State.

Mike Houston left JMU in 2018 after going 37-6, winning a national title over NDSU. He went to ECU where he's gone 24-34 since.

Cignetti is going to Indiana where even if he does great, he's looking at 7-8 wins tops. He went 52-9 at JMU over 5 seasons, so we'll see how he does at IU. Maybe he gets them to 7-8 wins he can parlay that into a bigger job but I think he's 62 so I assume this is a cash grab, hard to blame him. 

Purely a money decision.

JMU should have a top choice of an up-and-coming coach. I love Coach Cig, but the culture and infrastructure is in place for whoever comes in next to keep carrying the torch forward.

We'll surely be rinsing and repeating on this in a few years, which is the life of a P5 team.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Who wants to be a god in Harrisonburg and make $1.5MM?  Go make that money coach. 

Last time couple times I drove through Harrisonburg along I-81, it smelled like **** for a good few miles.  Curiously I don't remember that when I was there (for a year) back in the late 90s. I think there's some horse farm there or something

So maybe thats part of the reason he left.

42 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Last time couple times I drove through Harrisonburg along I-81, it smelled like **** for a good few miles.  Curiously I don't remember that when I was there (for a year) back in the late 90s. I think there's some horse farm there or something

So maybe thats part of the reason he left.

It was probably the poultry plants. Rockingham County is where most of your chicken probably comes from. If you buy organic chicken at Costco (white labeled farmers focus), Purdue, etc, it comes through here. But if it was more manure then the farms had probably recently fertilized.

The “dog food smell” is a staple in the Burg. You grow to like it 😂