Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yes and no. It's simply too early to tell how Davis and Holcomb look. I believe in the reports that Davis looks more natural and seems to get the position, but he was so out of his element last season that big improvement could still be a meh linebacker.

I don't think that's the spot to worry. Instead I'm kind of worried about CB. All the hype for St. Juste seems to have fallen off and rumors of the defense wanting to use more multiple different 3 safety looks rather than incorporating more of St. Juste is concerning. We also have zero CB depth. Early hype for 7th rounder Holmes was over quickly. Danny Johnson and Corn Elder are not adequate depth. I'm hopeful that William Jackson and Fuller will play well, but I don't expect either to be great. Good play from 2 corners is a plus over last season, but that might be all we have.

Im more worried about the DL than anything else. They have the most talent and they consistently overpenetrate on run, over rush on pass and open vertical/horizontal lanes on the regular. If that is fixed it will all fall into place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Do people not realize Samuel is an excellent receiver/playmaker? He's a stud. He just has to stay healthy. If he is he's going to do a lot of positive things for this offense.

I haven't seen much of him beyond highlights but I remember how explosive he was the year we played them. He is a beast, similar to Mckissic but way way way more top end speed from what I saw

Judging by rewatching the preseason game and just zoning in on Jamin Davis IMHO (I posted clips on it on two different threads), he played well on Saturday.  It wasn't that he was just so so and not bad as some suggest -- he was active and looked good especially in coverage.

So for me at least I am buying the hype from Keim, Paulsen among others that he's come on in practices in recent weeks. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I haven't seen much of him beyond highlights but I remember how explosive he was the year we played them. He is a beast, similar to Mckissic but way way way more top end speed from what I saw

People are down on him cause of the lost season but more than anything they are down on him because he is a Commander and thats our fate. It really do be like that for some folks. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Im more worried about the DL than anything else. They have the most talent and they consistently overpenetrate on run, over rush on pass and open vertical/horizontal lanes on the regular. If that is fixed it will all fall into place.

Phidarian Mathis seems to show well in that regard, he maintains his run gaps well while moving laterally against the run.

I'm also hopeful that our backup edge rushers opposite Sweat were just trying to make splash plays in pre-season, and will have better pocket contain in the regular season after that pecking order has been sorted out. They know they've got an opening for temporary starter, and it's the hottest or only true competition left in camp. I don't blame them for trying to do more to show up for coaches right now.

Just now, FLSkinz83 said:

The Nathan Gerry experiment is over.    This LB group is a joke.  

Given that the coaches seem giddy over using several different 3 safety packages as part of our main defense. I'm not sure how much value LB has to the overall defense compared to safeties. If the starting LB's are competent and remain healthy, that might be good enough. Assuming Curl, Forrest, Butler, McCain showup the way the coaches want them to. What I mean by this, is that the LB's probably have easier assignments and keys to read than the safeties, so it's easier for the LB's to look alright.

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Phidarian Mathis seems to show well in that regard, he maintains his run gaps well while moving laterally against the run.

I'm also hopeful that our backup edge rushers opposite Sweat were just trying to make splash plays in pre-season, and will have better pocket contain in the regular season after that pecking order has been sorted out. They know they've got an opening for temporary starter, and it's the hottest or only true competition left in camp. I don't blame them for trying to do more to show up for coaches right now.

With the way Ron singled them out for breaking contain directly after the game you have to hope that it has been addressed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

With the way Ron singled them out for breaking contain directly after the game you have to hope that it has been addressed.

Which is nuts because even if it's true. How about mentioning the DBs being so far off that they receivers are given free yards all the time. Is that because he doesn't want to call them out, or call out JDR for that? ****ing jam the receiver for once. 

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Which is nuts because even if it's true. How about mentioning the DBs being so far off that they receivers are given free yards all the time. Is that because he doesn't want to call them out, or call out JDR for that? ****ing jam the receiver for once. 

Exactly. Apparently the receivers get so mad about the DBs jamming them, yet when they get to a game, they suddenly stop doing that? Why?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Interestingly, JP and the guys said on their podcast that in practice, the DBs are much tighter and play press a lot more, but in games, they are backing off.

Keim (and Bram) have said in practice, the offense is doing a lot more than they are showing in preseason games. 

The defense thing could also be if you press the KC receivers, you do that at your peril.  Because they are shifty little ****ers, and if they get by you, you're in deep kimchee.But i

It also could be they just aren't showing what they are going to do in the regular season.

I literally have no idea.  I don't really trust JP and the guys to really understand what they are seeing as much as Bram and Keim.  So, I really do think the offense will look at least somewhat different in the regular season than it does in the preseason.  I also trust Scott Turner more than JDR at this point.

But it could be they were playing soft just to play soft.  It could also be they are confused and they don't know what they want to do. 

27 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The Nathan Gerry experiment is over.    This LB group is a joke.  

Nathan Gerry wasn't going to really effect the grade of the LB group anyway.  

They're going to bring in another Nathan Gerry, is my guess.  There are a lot of Nathan Gerry's out there. 

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well, down goes Harmon.  Always liked him, but he was never going to make the roster here.  Hope he picks up somewhere else.  

Though, I guarantee you if Jay/Bruce was still here, he would be one of the starting WRs across from Terry, because they would have trusted him the way Jay/Bruce trusted Ryan Freaking Grant.  I still can't believe they went into 2017 with Ryan Grant as a starter. It boggles my mind how stupid they were about that.  BOGGLES THE MIND I TELL YOU.  

EDIT: Larsen to IR is a blow to the depth at Center.  It would have been really nice to have backups of Larsen, Ismael, Schweitzer (or Turner, whoever didn't start), Charles and Lucas.  That would have been a really good, deep OL group.

However, with Trai Turner still out, and Ismael to IR, that forces Schweitzer into the starting lineup, and we're down a depth piece.  It's not the end of the world.  Hopefully one of those spots is filled by Chris Paul as a rookie.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hallelujah! A Playlist For Mardi Gras & Easter, But Not The Days In  Between

Any update on Schweitzer?  

Mitch said they THINK THEY SAW Trai Turner about 250 yards away from the field working with some bands yesterday, which is the first time they THINK THEY SAW him.  

IF Leno, Norwell, Rouiller, Schweitzer and Cosmi are all healthy, then that's not a bad starting 5.  

Charles and Lucas are good backups.  Ismael is not a back 3rd string center who's elevated to backup.  

Chris Paul has looked good at Guard as well, apparently. 

They have a little depth on the OL.  They just can't afford to lose 3 starters and 2 backups.  But then, I'm not sure what team can afford that.  

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yes and no. It's simply too early to tell how Davis and Holcomb look. I believe in the reports that Davis looks more natural and seems to get the position, but he was so out of his element last season that big improvement could still be a meh linebacker.

I don't think that's the spot to worry. Instead I'm kind of worried about CB. All the hype for St. Juste seems to have fallen off and rumors of the defense wanting to use more multiple different 3 safety looks rather than incorporating more of St. Juste is concerning. We also have zero CB depth. Early hype for 7th rounder Holmes was over quickly. Danny Johnson and Corn Elder are not adequate depth. I'm hopeful that William Jackson and Fuller will play well, but I don't expect either to be great. Good play from 2 corners is a plus over last season, but that might be all we have.

I tend to agree, corner seems to have gone from strength or at least solid to glaring weakness seemingly overnight.  If we have an injury there we're in trouble. 

Next year feels like first round corner second round linebacker.