Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Daiyan Henley, LB Washington State, @KDawg's guy. Older guy, 23, will be 24 before the season ends, late bloomer as a player but in his case that's a good thing IMO because he's still learning the spot.  Considering that his play is even more impressive.

Watched him this morning.  I like him better that the other 2nd tier LBs I've watched including To-o To'o and Dorian Williams

He's on the lighter side but also has long arms, one of the only 2 LBs among the top LBs in this draft with 33 inches plus.   Playmaker, too: 4 sacks, 3 FF.  Plays with a lot of fire which is fun to watch.   His missed tackle rate is 5% which is incredibly good.

Good player, high floor, modern day LB who is fluid is coverage, really smooth when he backpeddles. 

I love how he tackles, goes low, gets the job done, not looking for a highlight but just brings the player down.  I like players especially at LB who tackle soundly like him.  Like with Jack Campbell, he stopped some plays at the line of scrimmage or beyond it.  Overshoots some plays, gets fooled by misdirection at times -- but not too bad on either front -- he is really consistent albiet not perfect. 

As you'd expect with his size, he's much better when he has a free lane to make the tackle as opposed to shedding tackles.     Good instincts-play recognition skills.  I think he'd be a really good fit with this defense considering we got the D line to occupy blockers, so he'd have the lanes to make plays plus any LB who can play coverage fits today's game.  

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/dec/09/washington-state-star-linebacker-daiyan-henley-an-/

“I don’t know if you can put it into words right now,” Dickert said of Henley’s importance to the team during his one-year stay. “What he’s done in 11 months, the impact he’s had on this program, the impact he’s had on the Cougs – I know our fans feel like he’s been one of us for a really long time.

“That’s him, that’s his attitude, that’s his personality, that’s the fun he has with the game and it’s the work he has put in to get to this point. I think he’s a sure-fire All-American, and he’s really earned it. I’m proud to be just the smallest part of his journey and hopefully, he looks back at his time here at Washington State … and really loves this place. I think he’s given us everything he has and I’m just excited for the next phase of his journey.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Brett Neilon, center, USC.

I got no idea about whether he's back from his injury in time for the season.  So I don't feel like watching and writing on ton about him.  But I'll say from one game, he's solid in pass protect, he anchors well, i like him a lot in the run game, can hit the 2nd level, strong hands and has some people mover skills.  Has a mean streak.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have been back and forth on Blake, mostly positive, he was one of the earlier players I posted a review on here for.

Not me.  I think he's bad.  He looked really bad in the SB 1 on 1s, and struggled matching up with much smaller players despite his athleticism.

I don't think Freeland, Hayes, Asim Richards, Saldiveri, Broeker, or McClendon are any good.  I think they're all future back ups at best, not particularly good ones, and as a group they are a damning indictment of the depth of the OL class.  Especially at tackle.  If we wait on OT and don't get Bergeron, Steen, Gouraige, or Wanya Morris, I don't think any of the other OTs are worth drafting, as they don't even have a chance at being an upgrade over Leno or Cosmi.

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’d be good with it actually doubt he lasts to 16.  Listening to McShay just say not one team he spoke doesn’t have Robinson as one of the top 7 players 

I think we could do little that I felt worse about than taking a RB in the first round (or any round tbh). Since 2009 this organzitation has spent 15 (!) draft picks on RBs. Since 2015 only, we have invested one 2nd rounder, three 3rd rounders, two 4th rounders and a 7th rounder into RBs. This is not just a brutal waste of draft capital for a position where you need 1 guy the majority of the time it is also horrible from a cap space perspective. Even if you hit with a RB, you save so much less cap space than compared to a premium position. In the same time we have e.g. taken only 22 defensive backs (safeties and cornerbacks combined), a position that nowadays has 5 starters most of the time.

I guess that is also the reason why we are front runners to once again invest a premium pick into the most unimportant position in football. There is obviously a point where the undeniable talent of Bijan outweighs the cost. But that point 100% is not at #16 or anywhere in the first round for us. We need to draft some premium positions of need (CB, OT) or try to trade down if no one good enough is availbale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Not me.  I think he's bad.  He looked really bad in the SB 1 on 1s, and struggled matching up with much smaller players despite his athleticism.

I don't think Freeland, Hayes, Asim Richards, Saldiveri, Broeker, or McClendon are any good.  I think they're all future back ups at best, not particularly good ones, and as a group they are a damning indictment of the depth of the OL class.  Especially at tackle.  If we wait on OT and don't get Bergeron, Steen, Gouraige, or Wanya Morris, I don't think any of the other OTs are worth drafting, as they don't even have a chance at being an upgrade over Leno or Cosmi.

On Freeland I mentiioned my concern, so not totally sold but the big time combine from him was enough that for me I'd roll the dice among the 2nd tier guys if they waited to take one later.  

Still got to watch Wanya Morris.  I prefer Bergeron  among all the 2nd tier guys and have said so for awhile.    I like Steen too but might be a guard with those arms.

But I've been in general on the Dawnd Jones, Wright, Harrison train among the ones likely left and that means probably the first round. 

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

I think we could do little that I felt worse about than taking a RB in the first round (or any round tbh). Since 2009 this organzitation has spent 15 (!) draft picks on RBs. Since 2015 only, we have invested one 2nd rounder, three 3rd rounders, two 4th rounders and a 7th rounder into RBs. This is not just a brutal waste of draft capital for a position where you need 1 guy the majority of the time it is also horrible from a cap space perspective. Even if you hit with a RB, you save so much less cap space than compared to a premium position. In the same time we have e.g. taken only 22 defensive backs (safeties and cornerbacks combined), a position that nowadays has 5 starters most of the time.

I guess that is also the reason why we are front runners to once again invest a premium pick into the most unimportant position in football. There is obviously a point where the undeniable talent of Bijan outweighs the cost. But that point 100% is not at #16 or anywhere in the first round for us. We need to draft some premium positions of need (CB, OT) or try to trade down if no one good enough is availbale.

Everyone here knows that its not a premium position.  If it were there would be no shot he's there at 16.  And we all also know our needs, too.  But that brings in my point. 

Don't care about who they drafted in the past as to how to handle each draft.   This team is so used to drafting to need and in turn has conditioned fans that's how it should be but IMO it shouldn't operare that way at leaast not to this extent.

But if you skip FA or just bargain shop mostly and often fail when they shoot higher on occasion at it like they do, lose every trade they make -- then the draft becomes an exercise where you shop for need and agonize over every pick because if yoy don't fiil X or Y need you are screwed.

The Eagles for example don't seem to always roll the same way.  Yeah there is a need component to some actions of every team.  But this team IMO is ridiciously need driven in the dtaft. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Gotto agree with Commando, Freeland looks like a project to me. It's awesome that he has those athletic traits, but his legs are kind of thin and he seems like nothing special at present. Coincidentally, the Commanders just signed a very tall, athletic but not very bulky tackle, Drew Himmelman.

I honestly don't think Freeland does anything well right now.  He has no power, flexibility, balance, or hand technique.  He struggles to hold most of his blocks, struggles to keep his feet as a move blocker, struggles to anchor against power rushes, struggles to kick step on a vertical set, struggles to sync his hands with his feet, struggles to deliver any kind of power with his punch (just paws at defenders), struggles to drive anyone off the ball.

He's obviously got potential as a run blocker but it's telling that his offense ran away from him so often and mainly just used him for backside cut off.  He's a major project, but not a project I would want to take on.  He's going to get picked in like the second round, and he's got a ton of starts--i'm not sure how much upside and fixability is actually there with him, despite his athleticism.  I think his absolute best case scenario is a poor man's Mike McGlinchey.  I'd pass on that.

I guess I am the play it medium guy here with Freeland, I get the upside, I get the concerns. I've never really pushed him here or killed him.

His upper body strength concerns me albiet he looked more juiced than I expected on that front at the combine, ability to sink hips and bend to deal with pass rushers.

At the same time, he mostly got it done in college.  I see PFF has him ranked as their 8th best tackle, sounds about right to me.  Over a 90 grade in zone but "meh" score in power, sounds right to me, too.  The dude can move.  The combine confirmed that.  1.68 -- 10, that's better than Trent's time.  Not comparing the two, Trent is a freak at his size.  But this dude beating everyone and by a good margin with the vertical-horizontal, along with the best 10 shows his get off is real.  

But Freeland isn't one of my guys so to speak, so am not dying on the hill for him.

To me if they wait to 47 at tackle, there really isn't anyone I'd go nuts for.  I still have to watch some more players.  But among the ones I watched, it would be Bergeron for me at 47.   Even though like Freeland he's not much a people mover.

Mauch I like as a guard.  Him and Steen both with sub 33 arms. 

If they are going tackle, IMO if possible trade down and take one of the first tier ones.  I am higher than most on Dawand, Harrison and Wright. 

I’m closer to SIP than anyone else.

But I agree with a lot of what Steve said. But I think he has a mean streak and can run block really well at times.

I think it’s a bit far fetched to say he doesn’t do anything good. But he’s not a polished player. His potential is high but his floor is low. And it’s something I keep weighing with him.

I think he winds up ultimately in my third tier of OT. But I do see his potential. So I’m not totally down. But he isn’t there.

• Like 2

Just watched 2 games for Wanya Morris, RT, Oklahoma.   Really hard dude for me to figure out.  He has the measurables and talent to be an upper echelon tackle.  He's one of the only tackles in this draft with that type of length.  He can people move,  he can anchor, he has strong hands, hits the 2nd level, has some mean streak in him.  High potential.

Marvin Mims was electric in one of those games, I need to watch just him one day.  Gray was solid as usual with some big plays mixed in. 

And watching Morris made me appreciate Harrison a bit more in pass protect because Harrison was so consistent also you can see they left Harrison on an island plenty of times, and on the other hand they gave Morris quite a bit of help on some plays.  I attached some clips on that, 

Back to Morris, very talented but he's inconsistent.   Comes off to me as a bit of a project but with high upside.

My main issue with Morris he lunges sometimes at the defenders and loses his balance doing it and ends up with his butt on the ground especially in the run game.

He mirrors well.   Has massive hands and knows how to use them, good punch. 

He seems to lose leverage on his share of plays where his shoulders are not square with the defender, where the defenders gets to his outside shoulder fairly quickly and Morris barely gets by containing the defender but to his credit he does indeed get usually get by, recovers well and uses his arms/length to help him do that but I wonder how that translates to the tougher pass rushers in the NFL

He has some cut blocks in the mix which will get him in trouble with the NFL, sometimes it looks unintentional, he tries to get low and just loses his balance on the move.  

High upside but inconsistent not a steady performer IMO.  Either he figures it out quickly in the NFL and becomes a really good player or he gets beat a lot.  High variance player IMO with really good potential with the length to play LT.  Bergeron would be the safer pick in the 2nd round IMO.

Not that academics per se always translates to football smarts -- but Oklahoma is not Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, N. Carolina,  as an academic force, etc, so I don't love that he struggled there but not a deal breaker with me.

https://stormininnorman.com/2022/08/31/oklahoma-football-rt-wanya-morris-suspended-for-opener-against-utep/

Oklahoma football: RT Wanya Morris suspended first two games of the season

Starting RT Wanya Morris is being suspended for the first two games of the regular season for Oklahoma football. This is not good news for Wanya, who battled through a transition season at Oklahoma and earned his starting spot on the team.

The reason for the suspension as I have been told is related to grades according to sources. Wanya by all accounts is a good young man, who is working through a few things, and should be good to go in helping the Sooners as the season progresses.

TCU transfer Tyler Guyton or true freshman Jacob Sexton is expected to carry the load in Morris’s absence. Oklahoma should be fine with either mauler in that role, and it could be interesting to see if, in those two games, either could cement themselves as the starter in Wanya’s absence, as by all accounts both have played fantastic in camp.

Wanya is also dealing with a Civil matter involving an eviction, which I have been told is not a matter of concern as it pertains to his suspension.

I think it is important for everyone to keep in mind that Wanya is a young man, and we all made mistakes at that age, as we are learning to become proper citizens and become adults. Wanya will be fine and will learn from this, and we look forward to seeing him back on the Gridiron as soon as possible

harrison.png

harrison2.png

harrison3.png

harrison4.png

• Thanks 2