Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That list doesn't even include Cameron Latu, Jahmyr Gibbs, Jermaine Burton or Tyler Steen... who are all offensive players transferring in. And I'm pretty sure there are some defenders transferring in as well... I just haven't gotten there yet. 

I didn't even consider the transfers. This team is going terrorize teams and dominate next years draft.

Funny how Kenny Pickett got no love in the 2022 thread. Yet Jordan Addison entered the transfer portal faster than your head can spin now that Pickett is gone. Addison is one of the best players in College Football. Not just one of the best receivers. He may ultimately end up back in Pitt. But this transfer portal stuff will become the norm in College football now. For better or worse.  

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Funny how Kenny Pickett got no love in the 2022 thread. Yet Jordan Addison entered the transfer portal faster than your head can spin now that Pickett is gone. Addison is one of the best players in College Football. Not just one of the best receivers. He may ultimately end up back in Pitt. But this transfer portal stuff will become the norm in College football now. For better or worse.  

Pickett did a lot well. Full disclosure I think he was a phenomenal college QB who has a pretty high football IQ and made the most of his situation. 

• Like 2

I watched the cutups for that electrifying Bedlam game from 2021 again, and damn Caleb Williams is a baby Pat Mahomes.  His coordination, balance, speed, and arm strength are all special and he's got a chance to be a great one.  Man would I love to get him on this team without it requiring everything turning to **** beforehand.

Was also blown away by OK St's true freshman edge/linebacker #30 Collin Oliver.  He made the game saving play at the end plus got a ton of pressure.  Not bad for a three star recruit.  Looks like he can be one of the best edge players in college football over the next two years, but it does kind of suck that OK St lost their DC to Ohio St.  The transfer portal and coaching carousel really sucks for CFB.

Also wanted to throw some love into this thread for Brock Martin (edge #9 from OK St) who was really good in that game too.  Super senior late round prospect who is not going to be a fit for everyone, but for the right team he could be a nice early contributor.  Academic All Conference his whole career, high level wrestler, Iron Man who already has 50 games played for his career and is one of the leaders of a strong defense.  Interesting chess piece player that I can see the Patriots loving.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Jahmyr Gibbs

I was heartbroken that he transferred.  Tech is one of the teams I follow closely and I wanted to see a backfield of him and Jeff Sims come to maturity.  He had a chance to be the best player in the ACC next season, but I understand why he left.  Bama is oddly talent-depleted at RB, I guess because Trey Sanders didn't really pan out for them.  They're used to having a stable but Gibbs will probably get a ton of touches for them.  They could give him the exposure to become a first or second rounder and potential Heisman candidate.

• Like 1

image.png.239e7554e400ddab29ae09391a9dce76.png

There's my guards/centers top 10 (11). This is all I've watched so far. Over time I'll get more names on the list. I started way too late last year so... Again, just acquainting myself with these guys for now and not really studying everything about them.

Andrew Vorhees is interesting. He is an absolute mauler and he has a ridiculous punch but he is slow as hell. He is excellent at the 1st and 2nd levels, though, and he takes pretty good angles on the bit I've watched. He's one I've got my eye on. 

Shocker that there are more Georgia and Alabama dudes on this list :ols:

Going to start D today!

• Like 2

image.png.7e2cdc478a7668cfa634bba4dcc247fb.png

Looking at ends and edges...

First off, my disclaimer on every single one of these: I'm not spending a ton of time on these. But I think Will Anderson is vastly overrated to this point. Not that he's not an excellent player, but he plays small and looks small. He has a REALLY good anchor and doesn't get moved off the spot in the run game, but he almost gets swallowed. He is a good rusher and has a strong dip, which is hard to get right so his potential is through the roof. I can see a world where his progression leaps him to a high first (top 5) for sure. But he has to prove it I think.

Nolan Smith is a better edge rusher and has more quick twitch burst off the edge. But he's a smaller dude, too. So he'd have to be a fit where he wound up.

Pound for pound I think Myles Murphy is the best DE/EDGE type. The guys marked 5-T are DE edges, the guys marked EDGE/LB are more LB types. BJ Ojulari is a nasty son of a gun, too. 

Brenton Cox has a nasty streak in him, too. But not a lot of consistency.

Byron Young (Went to Bama, to Tennessee, back to Bama) is another guy in the Cox boat. 

If all these dudes came out though I have a feeling this is going to be a stocked EDGE class. Ali Gaye is another guy who can really improve his stock this year. 

image.png.4177f5a733402da993ea667d9abc71bc.png

Early prognostication: Jalen Carter may be the best DL in this draft and could wind up the best player in this draft. This dude is an absolute enforcer. Hands, feet, motor, size and strength. He is the total package. We'll see how '22 goes but this guy is a human bulldozer.

Bresee is also a very good player. A notch below Carter in '21 but has a ton of potential. 

Ika, Smith, Lovett are all talented and strong and a strong '22 elevates their overall stock. But the rest of the class is just... okay... for now.

We'll see when more guys emerge of course. 

Until we have an elite QB prospect in house I am going to continue to say thats our number 1 need. So ill be watching Stroud Young Richardson and KJ Jefferson as guys who can ascend to top half of the first round guys. Levis and Van Dyke are intriguing but lack physical traits to be elite guys in the NFL. 

Besides that I have still a MLB that can cover as Need number 2 followed by CB FS and TE

Edited by Zim489

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Until we have an elite QB prospect in house I am going to continue to say thats our number 1 need. So ill be watching Stroud Young Richardson and KJ Jefferson as guys who can ascend to top half of the first round guys. Levis and Van Dyke are intriguing but lack physical traits to be elite guys in the NFL. 

Besides that I have still a MLB that can cover as Need number 2 followed by CB FS and TE

I'd argue that we also need to be thinking about Charles Leno's replacement next year as a pretty high need. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:12 AM, KDawg said:

image.png.239e7554e400ddab29ae09391a9dce76.png

There's my guards/centers top 10 (11). This is all I've watched so far. Over time I'll get more names on the list. I started way too late last year so... Again, just acquainting myself with these guys for now and not really studying everything about them.

Andrew Vorhees is interesting. He is an absolute mauler and he has a ridiculous punch but he is slow as hell. He is excellent at the 1st and 2nd levels, though, and he takes pretty good angles on the bit I've watched. He's one I've got my eye on. 

Shocker that there are more Georgia and Alabama dudes on this list :ols:

Going to start D today!

Andrew Voorhees is a monster, but not as much as his brother, Jason. 

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, Berggy9598 said:

That show makes for intriguing viewing, but when you give an 18 year old boy, that already gets told how wonderful he is every day just because he can ball, his own reality show, there's a really good chance you'll bring out the dbag in him. I'd hesitate to judge their character based off this show, but there are cases like Tate Martell where the dbag is just who he is. 

It would be some hesitation but his whole family was exactly the same 

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Van Dyke is 6-4, 225… and has a solid arm.

Havent watched Richardson or Jefferson yet. On my “to do” after my first watch through. Seen Richardson a few times on TV though. Intriguing.

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Solid arm. Not great. Not particularly mobile. Wouldnt classify him as a dual threat by any means 

He’s not but you don’t need to be to find success in the NFL. You just need a good quarterback and a coordinator who marries the skill set. He is very pocket aware. I think he’s going to be a good pro. But he may stay another year.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

He’s not but you don’t need to be to find success in the NFL.

No you dont need to be successful but to be elite? I 100% believe you have to be. Look at the top 5-7 guys in the league right now. Its a bunch of dual threat guys and Aaron Rodgers whos very nimble himself. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

No you dont need to be successful but to be elite? I 100% believe you have to be. Look at the top 5-7 guys in the league right now. Its a bunch of dual threat guys and Aaron Rodgers whos very nimble himself. 

Tom Brady. Matt Ryan. Dak Prescott isn’t really all that mobile. Derek Carr. Kirk Cousins. Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert aren’t exactly dual threats. Ryan Tannehill.

I get not all of those guys are too 10. But there are plenty that can be successful. I wouldn’t pigeonhole.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Tom Brady. Matt Ryan.

Brady Fringe top 10. Absolutely not Ryan. Def not Carr Kirk Tannehill. 

Burrow and Herbert right now are the exceptions but are more mobile now than Stafford was at their age. Wilson Watson Mahomes Jackson Kyler Dak Allen. All mobile and better at it. 

I personally feel you have to have an Elite QB to win SB or at least consistently be in the hunt. I think the guy you listed CAN win if things break with them but its too hard to bank on. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Brady Fringe top 10. Absolutely not Ryan. Def not Carr Kirk Tannehill. 

Burrow and Herbert right now are the exceptions but are more mobile now than Stafford was at their age. Wilson Watson Mahomes Jackson Kyler Dak Allen. All mobile and better at it. 

I personally feel you have to have an Elite QB to win SB or at least consistently be in the hunt. I think the guy you listed CAN win if things break with them but its too hard to bank on. 

Oh, Stafford isn’t mobile and he just won the Lombardi.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh, Stafford isn’t mobile and he just won the Lombardi.

He might be the worst QB to win a SB outside of Foles and the rotting corpse of Peyton. And hes really good. 

All im saying that you need elite QB play and the only way to be elite now in the modern football is being a dual threat guy. Forcing a defense to play 11v11 is just too advantageous to not take into account. 

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

He might be the worst QB to win a SB outside of Foles and the rotting corpse of Peyton. And hes really good. 

All im saying that you need elite QB play and the only way to be elite now in the modern football is being a dual threat guy. Forcing a defense to play 11v11 is just too advantageous to not take into account. 

I just named like 10 dudes who are top 15-20.

There are really no hyper mobile guys that are considered elite right now, by the way. Maybe Lamar. But I don’t personally consider him elite. You could say Rodgers but he’s not hyper mobile. 

I think people put wayyyyyyy too much stock into running ability at least as it pertains to true dual threats. A QB that runs all the time is more likely to get hurt, too. 

• Like 2

image.png.78e3cf123539ed98eae119458c1cd16c.png

Sewell is the class of the class. Campbell is the steady leader type who doesn't have the athletic traits but just plays tough as nails and diagnostic football.

To'oto'o misses a metric piss ton of tackles but he's all over the field. He could sink dramatically if his tackling isn't improved. But his ability is through the roof and could compete with Sewell if he realizes it.

The other two guys I want to point out:

DeMarvion Overshown, Texas. Hasn't been getting a ton of love and I've hardly seen him mentioned in any 2023 Draft sites. But this dude is a down hill nasty, aggressive, bone crusher. He reminds me of Sean Taylor, only as a linebacker. He's not as skilled as Taylor and he gets caught sometimes with his reads. But he fights off blocks, gets downhill, commits to whatever it is he's doing with no hesitation and attacks. If he puts any quality film out he could be one to watch.

Drake Thomas, NC State. He played on the Edge, at hybrid, as a true OLB and as an inside guy and he seemed to be productive from every spot on the field. He is NC State's best player in my opinion and a very literal defensive weapon that can be moved around and play anywhere, similar to Ok State's Brock Martin but from a LB/Safety standpoint. He's fast, can get sideline to sideline, finds himself in good spots and he takes advantage of his opportunities. 

The last two I named could be big time risers this year.

On another note... I watched Anthony Richardson at QB finally. He is now my QB1. His release, his timing, his size, his athleticism.. The way the ball floats out of his hand effortlessly. But he has a lot to prove this year so we'll see if all of that translates on the field. His completion percentage and TD:INT ratio stink through his freshman and sophomore years. He is literally QB1 for me 100% based on potential. I could see a scenario where he takes a major slide back, though. I watched his spring game to get a read on him as a prospect. I will say this as well: The Florida defense in that game got absolutely shredded. And they looked really bad in the process. 

Stroud/Young have a pretty good chance of being my QB1/2 after this next season but it's hard to resist putting Richardson at QB1. For now. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

image.png.78e3cf123539ed98eae119458c1cd16c.png

Sewell is the class of the class. Campbell is the steady leader type who doesn't have the athletic traits but just plays tough as nails and diagnostic football.

To'oto'o misses a metric piss ton of tackles but he's all over the field. He could sink dramatically if his tackling isn't improved. But his ability is through the roof and could compete with Sewell if he realizes it.

The other two guys I want to point out:

DeMarvion Overshown, Texas. Hasn't been getting a ton of love and I've hardly seen him mentioned in any 2023 Draft sites. But this dude is a down hill nasty, aggressive, bone crusher. He reminds me of Sean Taylor, only as a linebacker. He's not as skilled as Taylor and he gets caught sometimes with his reads. But he fights off blocks, gets downhill, commits to whatever it is he's doing with no hesitation and attacks. If he puts any quality film out he could be one to watch.

Drake Thomas, NC State. He played on the Edge, at hybrid, as a true OLB and as an inside guy and he seemed to be productive from every spot on the field. He is NC State's best player in my opinion and a very literal defensive weapon that can be moved around and play anywhere, similar to Ok State's Brock Martin but from a LB/Safety standpoint. He's fast, can get sideline to sideline, finds himself in good spots and he takes advantage of his opportunities. 

The last two I named could be big time risers this year.

On another note... I watched Anthony Richardson at QB finally. He is now my QB1. His release, his timing, his size, his athleticism.. The way the ball floats out of his hand effortlessly. But he has a lot to prove this year so we'll see if all of that translates on the field. His completion percentage and TD:INT ratio stink through his freshman and sophomore years. He is literally QB1 for me 100% based on potential. I could see a scenario where he takes a major slide back, though. I watched his spring game to get a read on him as a prospect. I will say this as well: The Florida defense in that game got absolutely shredded. And they looked really bad in the process. 

Stroud/Young have a pretty good chance of being my QB1/2 after this next season but it's hard to resist putting Richardson at QB1. For now. 

Seeing Merlin Roberson sparks a question.  He’s coming back for a fifth year evidently.  I was wondering why I didn’t see his names on draft boards.  Does that mean all college players in 2020 can get a fifth year?  So if you graduated HS in 2018, and redshirted in 2019, you have eligibility through the 2024 season?  If so, are we going to still have 24 year olds coming out in the next three drafts?