Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

59 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Bazardo optioned to make room for GR.

I'm looking forward to him pitching well tonight. 

I know there is no Ace on this staff with Means out, but Bradish and Wells are pitching well and Kremer has been solid (ERA not helped by having a handful of dreadful starts). Gibson had scuffled a bit but we'll see. 

17 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I'm looking forward to him pitching well tonight. 

I know there is no Ace on this staff with Means out, but Bradish and Wells are pitching well and Kremer has been solid (ERA not helped by having a handful of dreadful starts). Gibson had scuffled a bit but we'll see. 

Not to nitpick, but was Means ever an ace himself? 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh, got it. I always overreact to that term, but I see what you guys meant. 

There's some wiggle room with that term, IMO.

I'm not sure if he makes it back this year but if he can come back and be in the rotation next year and perform like he used to, that would be great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not to nitpick, but was Means ever an ace himself? 

One could argue that unless you have Cole, Kershaw or McClanahan or whomever that you really don't have an ace. 

But his 4.4 WAR and 131 ERA+ from 19 I'll take any day of the week. 

His 3.6 WAR in 21 was also just outside the top 10 for AL starters and a 122 ERA+. 

EDIT - I did some rough math, but the Orioles won 40% of his starts in the two full seasons pitched for a 162 average of 65 wins. And the innings in those games he didn't pitch was done by the worst staff in baseball. Also Means had like a 2.3 ERA until he got hurt in June of 2021 and missed time trough the All Star Break.  

Edited by TheDoyler23
math
  • Thanks 1

Sloppy loss. Wells is great when he’s not giving up HRs. 4 errors. Just bad out there. 

But the entire AL East lost and they stay 1 game back. 

DAY game today. Weather is not great, though. And it’s not like the Dodgers are coming back in town anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, balki1867 said:

In a few short hours, the Commanders will have a new owner and the Orioles might be in sole possession of first place in the best division in baseball.  This could be one of the great sports days in my life.

I'm glad for you all.  I left the commanders as a fan but still glad to see them do well.  I feel like an abused spouse who's other half finally got help.  But the love is no longer there.

Edit:  Add, I was lucky to be in the military and not able to closely follow baseball during the time they sucked.  I retired and moved to Baltimore at just the right time.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, ixcuincle said:

At first I was like no way we do this deal, but on second thought it may be doable.  I don't think we'd part with proven MLB talent, but our farm system is pretty deep and some of those guys are going to be blocked anyway.  If it was like a package of like Ortiz, Norby and DL Hall, I would do it. 

Another idea is we take on at least part of Rendon's salary, partially offsetting the prospect 

Of course you want to build a consistent winner, but on the other hand we can't take it for granted that we'll be in this position again anytime soon.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

I would trade prospects for Ohtani. No untouchables, but second half of the top ten guys for sure.

The best shot our birds had in that last window had Wieters and Machado out with injuries. And though in the WC in 16 it felt like the opportunities were gone. 

He won’t sign here and that’s ok. What he can possibly deliver matters a lot more to me than some prospects. 

At the beginning of the season I said something along the lines of it would be nice if Austin Hays progressed, and he has done exactly that.  Been one of our best players this year.  He was once a highly ranked prospect in our farm system and it is good to see him reach his potential.