Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glenn Youngkin and friends.

Cooked Crack

My wife had to study healthcare policies in Virginia and nationally as part of her doctorate program, with this semester that’s wrapping up. She actually gets to go to dc and present some things to senators and house members over the next few months. Anyways, what came out of it was one of the few good things I’ve heard about the youngkin administration so just sharing 

https://apnews.com/article/mental-health-glenn-youngkin-virginia-general-assembly-4cd8301dce303e7f4a70f8e1626c0334

I may have the numbers a bit wrong. I’m recalling from a conversation a few weeks ago. 

in addition to police officers not being trained or equipped to be the first responder to a mental health crisis:

- an average mental health intervention consumes 54 hours of the police officers time

- emergency mental health facilities were able to play be rules that allowed them to declare themselves at capacity, forcing the hospital to hold the patient (who are also not properly equipped, and often required police to be present with the patient)

- there are limitations in what you can do because ultimately you formally take the persons rights away to hold them when they are a danger to themselves or others, creating a short window for intervention by a hospital before they have to let the person walk out the door 

some of the new changes put a mental health professional with the police in first response. Changed the rules facilities use to determine at capacity so they could no longer just decline a patient in an emergency. Allocates funding for it. 

These are good things. Typically not things you hear republicans talk about caring about. 

It would be nice if such things were the focus. Instead of culture war bull****. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m not familiar with Va statutes and provisions given to LEOs in the case of what is deemed a mental health situation.  Does Va not have something similar to Florida’s Baker Act which allows for involuntary protective custody?

“What is a Baker Act Proceeding?
Florida’s Baker Act law is a means of providing individuals with emergency services and temporary detention for up to 72 hours for mental health examination”

7 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

I’m not familiar with Va statutes and provisions given to LEOs in the case of what is deemed a mental health situation.  Does Va not have something similar to Florida’s Baker Act which allows for involuntary protective custody?

“What is a Baker Act Proceeding?
Florida’s Baker Act law is a means of providing individuals with emergency services and temporary detention for up to 72 hours for mental health examination”

we have something. I know the hospital can do it, but I’m not clear on if that means they have the police officers do it or what. 

But it’s temporary. And if you can’t get them to the correct facility in time, they wind up walking out the door. 

additionally, while they have the authority to do it, it’s not taken lightly and there’s a serious process involved. Which makes sense, given you’re temporarily relieving a person of some fundamental rights. 

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

we have something. I know the hospital can do it, but I’m not clear on if that means they have the police officers do it or what. 

But it’s temporary. And if you can’t get them to the correct facility in time, they wind up walking out the door. 

additionally, while they have the authority to do it, it’s not taken lightly and there’s a serious process involved. Which makes sense, given you’re temporarily relieving a person of some fundamental rights. 

Gotcha, I know in Fl it is for up to 72 hrs but virtually anyone can petition the Court to have law enforcement take an individual in for an Involuntary Examination.

In my experience, it doesn’t take that long (hours) and I’ve seen it abused on multiple occasions.  (Think, scorned girlfriend.  Sorry but it was always the girlfriend)

**edit**. Sorry, I know we’ve strayed off topic here.

Edited by stoshuaj

43 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Gotcha, I know in Fl it is for up to 72 hrs but virtually anyone can petition the Court to have law enforcement take an individual in for an Involuntary Examination.

In my experience, it doesn’t take that long (hours) and I’ve seen it abused on multiple occasions.  (Think, scorned girlfriend.  Sorry but it was always the girlfriend)

**edit**. Sorry, I know we’ve strayed off topic here.

well and another problem is Virginia as a state has very few facilities for this. And they were allowed to turn down emergency situations if they’re at 70% capacity. 

the new proposals will fund mobile centers but also require them to be at 95% capacity to turn down emergency situations. 

(70 and 95 might not be the exact right numbers but they’re in the ballpark. It’s second hand info from 2-3 weeks ago, so I’m not sure I have the exact numbers correct. They’re close though)

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Not really a Youngkin issue but certainly not a “local to DMV” things to do thing.  More of a way out there Va go ahead and please do us a favor, shut up and join WVa thing.  Idk, whatever, here you go:

Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names

A Virginia school board has approved a motion for two schools to revert to their Confederate names following a debate that bitterly divided a town.

The Shenandoah County School Board voted 5-1 to reinstate the names of Stonewall Jackson High and Ashby-Lee Elementary in Quicksburg.

Community members had been pushing for a reversal, arguing the 2020 name change was unpopular.

The vote marked the first such U-turn anywhere in the US.”

more at link:  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68985412.amp

Edited by stoshuaj

I don't know...it might be a little much to spend taxpayer money to rebrand again. It's just a school name. But I think it just proves that we may have gone a little overboard a couple years ago finding anything with any name relating to a Confederate or someone who may have owned a slave and just wiping those names out of existence. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't know...it might be a little much to spend taxpayer money to rebrand again. It's just a school name. But I think it just proves that we may have gone a little overboard a couple years ago finding anything with any name relating to a Confederate or someone who may have owned a slave and just wiping those names out of existence. 

If anything, the fact that people are going out of their way to rename public institutions after confederates proves it wasn't overboard and something that needs a reckoning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

the thing that was voted on, stipulates the funding must be provided by private people. The board will oversee how the funds are spent but no taxpayer money is to be used for it. 

The thing that always cracks me up is when people care about something that has no impact on them whatsoever. 

I don’t live there. My kids don’t go there. I didn’t care when they changed it and I don’t care if they change it back. It’s their schools not mine 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

If anything, the fact that people are going out of their way to rename public institutions after confederates proves it wasn't overboard and something that needs a reckoning.

I don't agree. People like traditions and are attached to things. I would guess that not every person who preferred the name Stonewall Jackson did so because they are racists or hopes the South rises again. They might just have fond memories of the school they attended, not want history erased, or appreciate some of their heritage being preserved. To jump to the conclusion that this requires a reckoning is a bit extreme. It’s a name of an American…relax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't agree. People like traditions and are attached to things. I would guess that not every person who preferred the name Stonewall Jackson did so because they are racists or hopes the South rises again. They might just have fond memories of the school they attended, not want history erased, or appreciate some of their heritage being preserved. To jump to the conclusion that this requires a reckoning is a bit extreme. It’s a name of an American…relax.

as a life long Virginian - civil war is baked into everything. Virginia was a key state with lots (majority? Not quite sure) of battles taking place and even more taking place just outside its borders. 

It’s not surprising to me outsiders don’t understand this. It’s also not surprising that many people take the “we disagree that means you’re a racist and evil person” stance. It’s prevalent these days. Almost seems to be the default way of analyzing things for most. 

Edited by tshile

I went to Loudoun County High School. The mascot way back when was The Raiders. Named after the terrorist John S Mobys and his Raiders. Thankfully they finally changed the name to Captains. Fond memories indeed. Plenty of my classmates are still butthurt about it. 🤣

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

as a life long Virginian - civil war is baked into everything. Virginia was a key state with lots (majority? Not quite sure) of battles taking place and even more taking place just outside its borders. 

It’s not surprising to me outsiders don’t understand this. It’s also not surprising that many people take the “we disagree that means you’re a racist and evil person” stance. It’s prevalent these days. Almost seems to be the default way of analyzing things for most. 

Yeah, I got blown up in the other thread where this came up. Just because I can see both sides and don't think a community wanting to hold onto traditions automatically equals pure evil...I'm basically an enabler or apologist. 

My stance on all this is that people in general are flawed. All of them. If we are going to name anything after anyone ever, we should just acknowledge that and be OK with their flaws. The ones who lived 200 years ago were all probably racist, sexist, and any other "ist" you can find. But, many of them did some good things too. If people want to find community and pride in that, let them. 

But, it's a very slippery slope to strip every town of a name, because to say that Stonewall Jackson's racism outweighs his service in the Mexican-American War but Thomas Jefferson racism doesn't outweigh his patriotism is a very arbitrary line to draw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

the thing that was voted on, stipulates the funding must be provided by private people. The board will oversee how the funds are spent but no taxpayer money is to be used for it. 

The thing that always cracks me up is when people care about something that has no impact on them whatsoever. 

I don’t live there. My kids don’t go there. I didn’t care when they changed it and I don’t care if they change it back. It’s their schools not mine 🤷‍♂️ 

I’d probably care less if my tax dollars weren’t going to that school system. They want to rename their schools for people who took up arms against the United States in the name of slavery, so be it. But fund your schools yourself then and stop begging for state funds.

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It’s a name of an American…relax.

It's the name of someone who's sole notable achievement was literally being willing to kill Americans.  

(I do think the rest of your post was a valid point, and very reasonable.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

as a life long Virginian - civil war is baked into everything.

And has been. Intentionally. By people who intentionally want it to continue that way. 

Which is kind of disappointing, to me. To me, Virginia ought to be trumpeting the fact that it's contributed four US Presidents. Including George Washington. 

But you'd think that Virginia's greatest moment was the Confederacy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

And has been. Intentionally. By people who intentionally want it to continue that way. 

Which is kind of disappointing, to me. To me, Virginia ought to be trumpeting the fact that it's contributed four US Presidents. Including George Washington. 

That’s not how I see it. 

and I think there are other things people care about like what you mentioned. 

but if you’re starting from the stand point there can be no other reason but this one specific reason, and deciding what other people think and why for them, there’s really nowhere to go from there. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Sorry, didn’t realize this would get posted in another thread.  

Back to the topic at hand:  Glenn Youngkin is tall.  Thoughts?  Yes/no

Tall, yes. But still got dunked on anytime he made it onto the court at Rice. Dunno what his future holds. He came into politics as MAGA packaged in what was thought to be an appealing wrapper for people who are embarrassed to be led by Trump. He doesn’t have many notable accomplishments, but carries two big embarrassments: losing the automotive plant in southern VA and getting hung out to dry on the Caps/Wizards stadium snafu. Can’t see him having much success in a Senatorial run. But who knows?

Edited by Ball Security
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

but if you’re starting from the stand point there can be no other reason but this one specific reason, and deciding what other people think and why for them, there’s really nowhere to go from there. 

The HS in Shenandoah County was named in 1959 as a response in opposition to Brown vs Board of Education and attempts to end segregation. It was opened as a high school for whites only. Minorities were bussed to other schools.

There is no doubt that it was created to implement racial hierarchy. You may have different associations with Stonewall Jackson but the people choosing to name the school after him were very clear on their one specific reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

Not really a Youngkin issue but certainly not a “local to DMV” things to do thing.  More of a way out there Va go ahead and please do us a favor, shut up and join WVa thing.  Idk, whatever, here you go:

Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names

A Virginia school board has approved a motion for two schools to revert to their Confederate names following a debate that bitterly divided a town.

The Shenandoah County School Board voted 5-1 to reinstate the names of Stonewall Jackson High and Ashby-Lee Elementary in Quicksburg.

Community members had been pushing for a reversal, arguing the 2020 name change was unpopular.

The vote marked the first such U-turn anywhere in the US.”

more at link:  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68985412.amp

It's time to get rid of school boards if this is what they choose to do with their time and have the power to do it.

I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Eight presidents.

• Thanks 1