Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The LineBacker Thread- Looking for our Man in the Middle

Koolblue13

On 1/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Ron will want a vet and we’ll get Jermaine Carter from the Panthers. Took their starting MLB role over in 2021. From the local area too. Mid price FA, add another rookie to the group.

And if you go on his Twitter, the guy bleeds DMV sports, he'd be a great fit except...

he is a terrible middle linebacker (his PFF score was 42.6). Probably was playing out of position in the middle at 6-1 225. I'd be fine signing him as a backup who could play buffalo nickel, WILL and maybe some emergency MIKE

• Like 2

8 hours ago, method man said:

And if you go on his Twitter, the guy bleeds DMV sports, he'd be a great fit except...

he is a terrible middle linebacker (his PFF score was 42.6). Probably was playing out of position in the middle at 6-1 225. I'd be fine signing him as a backup who could play buffalo nickel, WILL and maybe some emergency MIKE

Yeah I’m not promoting him as the next great NFL linebacker, but depending on other variables I would certainly take a look at him. Think he’s only had one year as a starter. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Jordan Hicks is a name to watch. He is 30, so not a super long term option but still has plenty of juice. Cardinals want and drafted Zaven Collins in that roll and will have to decide on what to do about Hicks who was the best linebacker on that team this year. He would be an under the radar quality acquisition if released.

Good call. I mentioned him a fair bit in the 2021 FA thread, he was reportedly after a trade at one stage having been demoted to back up. He seemed to work his way back into favour there, but agree, he’d be a very good pick up. 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Good call. I mentioned him a fair bit in the 2021 FA thread, he was reportedly after a trade at one stage having been demoted to back up. He seemed to work his way back into favour there, but agree, he’d be a very good pick up. 

Yes please to him. Cardinals will eat his signing bonus so cap hit will only be $6.5M. I’d do a pick swap with AZ and trade a 6th for a 7th

18 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I wonder whether this means they won't re-sign Bostic. 

Have to think they have 5 of 7LBs right now with a starter needing to be added. Wonder whether Bostic comes back to split time with Davis at WLB. 

I just hope no Bostic at Mike next year. It's time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think that's a great resigning, but also closes the door on drafting one of the  four MLBs that will be there in the first 2 rounds unfortunately, unless the plan is to attack that position.

I just don't see how we can do that again this year.

He's cheap on top of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think that's a great resigning, but also closes the door on drafting one of the  four MLBs that will be there in the first 2 rounds unfortunately, unless the plan is to attack that position.

Huh, I see it the opposite way - that they’ve addressed the position with a semi-competent body in order not have a gaping hole going into the draft.  Especially since Mayo wasn’t really in the mix this year, so I doubt they see him as the “answer” there.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Huh, I see it the opposite way - that they’ve addressed the position with a semi-competent body in order not have a gaping hole going into the draft.  Especially since Mayo wasn’t really in the mix this year, so I doubt they see him as the “answer” there.

Hes absolutely not the answer, just a vet presence in the room. Not on the field.

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes absolutely not the answer, just a vet presence in the room. Not on the field.

Gotcha.  So what makes you think re-signing him means we won’t draft one of the backers you were referring to?  Or maybe I misunderstood your post?

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mayo was arguably one of the worst coverage LBs weve had here in the last decade. He was woeful 

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This performance was almost too good to be true:

He's a game-wrecker and I truly believe he has All-Pro potential.

I disagree. 

I don't love how he move. 

To me, the best LBs glide and they close that last gap like a predator does to its prey. There is an innate finish to them. That last burst is something I look for. 

Jamin Davis may not have the ability to hear the play, relay it, react to audibles and motions and go react. It may be too much thinking. What he does have is what I talked about above. Cole Holcomb has that too. 

On 1/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, Silvernon said:

I disagree. 

I don't love how he move. 

To me, the best LBs glide and they close that last gap like a predator does to its prey. There is an innate finish to them. That last burst is something I look for. 

Jamin Davis may not have the ability to hear the play, relay it, react to audibles and motions and go react. It may be too much thinking. What he does have is what I talked about above. Cole Holcomb has that too. 

this? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, exactly. I mean, look at this highlight video of his rookie year and you can see him at times "see it" and be indecisive and still make the play. There is so much that pops there. If this was a full season worth of plays, everyone would be okay with saying this is first round quality. If the position switch is needed as far as acumen, so be it.

https://youtu.be/tb18djDL9o8

Somebody help me out here. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1