Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I appreciate that 3rd rounder is a decent pick but should we really structure our FA approach around that. Looks around the league. Do you think any of the leagues top 16 teams would do that?

So far it's gone that way, 1974,  It could change in a second but so far it is what it is.  We'll see but I think they only deal with released players or resigning their own.  

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Ask him that if he ends up with the panthers, or ATL

I hope the Panthers as they draft before us.  I think Seattle was interested in Mayfield.  Let's see. 

Edited by RWJ

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

How did he lie? It’s a business. You show you value someone with the guaranteed money you give them. Cleveland set the NFL record at $230M guaranteed and probably forever changed the dynamic of QB deals that Cousins started. They showed him they wanted him the most with the guaranteed money they gave him. He would be a moron to walk away from $230M for significantly less guaranteed money.

Yep, no brainer. Who can blame anyone in this scenario. 

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So far it's gone that way, 1974,  It could change in a second but so far it is what it is.  We'll see but I think they only deal with released players or resigning their own.  

Looks that way RWJ

Currently got a 7th for Settle based on his 4.5mil per year deal. So we can expect one deal in that range.....maybe.....

But the thinking that Wagner is out of our price range, I don’t like that. I mean, if we really want  him you do everything to get him. The cap is a non factor.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Looks that way RWJ

Currently got a 7th for Settle based on his 4.5mil per year deal. So we can expect one deal in that range.....maybe.....

But the thinking that Wagner is out of our price range, I don’t like that. I mean, if we really want  him you do everything to get him. The cap is a non factor.

I agree but then again we have many players coming up for extensions so I think that's why they haven't spent a boat load of money yet.  Plus, I've heard Wagner wants to stay on the West Coast if he can.  I'd be thrilled if they would sign Wagner.  He'd be the perfect field general for our D.  

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe doing a little research or being informed BEFORE taking the default position should be the new default position?  If you hear hoofbeats, maybe look at what's coming at you BEFORE making up your mind whether it's a horse or a zebra?

naw-mike-epps.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, RWJ said:

I agree but then again we have many players coming up for extensions so I think that's why they haven't spent a boat load of money yet.  Plus, I've heard Wagner wants to stay on the West Coast if he can.  I'd be thrilled if they would sign Wagner.  He'd be the perfect field general for our D.  

Yeah I’m not fussed about Wagner really. Think he likely follows Wilson to Denver. It was more a statement of principle.

All teams have player due for extensions etc. 

On balance, so far we have been poor in FA. I suspect we aren’t a desired location right now, unless you have strong ties to the FO.

Ex CAR corner will be the next one in.

As an aside, the draft is deep at positions that would help us so we need more picks....

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Looks that way RWJ

Why? They put a value on players based on a holistic view of the team. They decided he would be more than they were willing to spend as it would cause issues elsewhere on the team. Someone else made a different call. Not sure why that is such a bad thing. I agree the CAP is not as big a deal as some make it out to be but it is still an issue. They have to look at the entire team, what the need, how they can get and what that will do to the team this year and several years after. 

16 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude hasn’t played in 2 years. Unlikely, but he could end up not being as good as before. You take the guaranteed bag 100 times out of 100. 

“Hasn’t played in two years” in the sense that the last time he played was 2020, however in terms of how an NFL calendar works, his last game hasn’t even been a full two years yet. It’s been 15 months (17 games missed). 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Why? They put a value on players based on a holistic view of the team. They decided he would be more than they were willing to spend as it would cause issues elsewhere on the team. Someone else made a different call. Not sure why that is such a bad thing. I agree the CAP is not as big a deal as some make it out to be but it is still an issue. They have to look at the entire team, what the need, how they can get and what that will do to the team this year and several years after. 

Rivera expressed 2 glaring issues on the roster, QB and MLB.

If you commit for a QB trade and give up multiple picks and agree to pay the full cash terms of the deal in 2022 (which I’m on record as being more that happy with)...I simply don’t understand the caution elsewhere...in particular at MLB. 

The only reason that supports that move is that we are 100% intent of picking a LB in the draft to start day 1.

That may be the case. 

18 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

“Hasn’t played in two years” in the sense that the last time he played was 2020, however in terms of how an NFL calendar works, his last game hasn’t even been a full two years yet. It’s been 15 months (17 games missed). 

And his muscles are probably pretty relaxed.  Imagine how many massages you can fit in in 15 months  😉 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If you commit for a QB trade and give up multiple picks and agree to pay the full cash terms of the deal in 2022 (which I’m on record as being more that happy with)...I simply don’t understand the caution elsewhere...in particular at MLB. 

The only reason that supports that move is that we are 100% intent of picking a LB in the draft to start day 1.

That may be the case. 

I just don't understand assuming the absolute worst before it has even happened to the point of saying you don't like it. Also, thy may believe someonev they want more has a good chance of being released after the draft.

I think also you are taking the terms of the Wentz trade as some kind of all in when it's not. It is not that big a cost and has a quick out. Even if you restructure to give him a 2nd yr you still get to next years QB draft which is much better. 

It's interesting you say the CAP is insignificant but then say that taking Wentz's $28M is an all in. Either the CAP is a big deal, making the $28M a problem or the CAP is not a big deal so the $28M is not a big deal. In terms of QB contracts $28M for one year is not a big amount of money. And the 2 3rds is not much. It's not like 3rds are automatic starters. Here is the historical hit rate by position for 3rd picks (as of 2015, am open to newer data but I doubt it changes much - criteria is they started at least half thier careers): OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)  And the one 3rd is more like a 4th by the draft chart.

If he sucks then you are out a few mid rd picks and some money but you put yourself in play for a QB in next years draft. If he works out then you have solved a major position that you have under contract for the next 4 yrs at a very reasonable price. Fair enough they likely restructure at some point, but still. 

I am taking wait and see approach. Let's let the draft and the short term after before assessing free agency. Even then I need to see the team on the field. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

By the time he starts it will be over 20 months. I expect him to play as well as before  but nothing in life is guaranteed. He can play poorly or get lingering injuries. Zero reason to turn down $230M guaranteed. He was also 4-12 in 2020 with some decent talent. Add in the allegations and it’s amazing he secured by far the biggest contract ever plus 5 picks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I just don't understand assuming the absolute worst before it has even happened to the point of saying you don't like it. Also, thy may believe someonev they want more has a good chance of being released after the draft.

I don’t believe I am thinking the worst.

I only scanned through the rest of your post but in terms of Wentz, I love that trade, I was pretty much the first person on the board back in January to put it out there as a real option, so I’m fine with that, nothing more to add.

The rest of our FA, thus far, it’s average. That’s blatantly clear. We have a better chance of winning the NFC East but we are toast soon after. The AFC is killing the league.

I’m still open minded to futures move. Will see what we come up with pre draft.

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That may be the case. 

IF they are intent on the draft and getting a MLB, I hope they zero in and take Muma in the 2nd round.  :)  

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

How did he lie? It’s a business. You show you value someone with the guaranteed money you give them. Cleveland set the NFL record at $230M guaranteed and probably forever changed the dynamic of QB deals that Cousins started. They showed him they wanted him the most with the guaranteed money they gave him. He would be a moron to walk away from $230M for significantly less guaranteed money.

He lied about not being interested in the Browns.  His play will determine if he's worth the $230M.  His path to the SB would've been a easier in the NFC given the current landscape.  Let's see if it pays off.

Just now, RWJ said:

IF they are intent on the draft and getting a MLB, I hope they zero in and take Muma in the 2nd round.  :)  

Yeah, and that’s where we’d need to move #11. I think we take a QB day 2. Several moving parts, but we remain optimistic...:)

JuJu at 10.75mil seems like an overpay.  He only got 8 mil last season and declined further.

Diontae Johnson has clearly been better than him the past two seasons.  Add in Chase Claypool and JuJu has quickly been supplanted by rookies just playing better than him in 2019, 2020, and just a poor 2021.

I think the Chiefs must have struck out on a few WR's in FA and have gotten desperate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

He lied about not being interested in the Browns.  His play will determine if he's worth the $230M.  His path to the SB would've been a easier in the NFC given the current landscape.  Let's see if it pays off.

Who cares if he lied? We had a RB turn his back on a deal with the Bills for 7mil. It’s a business. 

Watson got what he wanted, so did the Browns. 

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

JuJu at 10.75mil seems like an overpay.  He only got 8 mil last season and declined further.

Diontae Johnson has clearly been better than him the past two seasons.  Add in Chase Claypool and JuJu has quickly been supplanted by rookies just playing better than him in 2019, 2020, and just a poor 2021.

I think the Chiefs must have struck out on a few WR's in FA and have gotten desperate.

Agree that’s an overpay. Their other receiver Washington was touted in here by someone??? @Chump Baileymaybe??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t believe I am thinking the worst.

I only scanned through the rest of your post but in terms of Wentz, I love that trade, I was pretty much the first person on the board back in January to put it out there as a real option, so I’m fine with that, nothing more to add.

The rest of our FA, thus far, it’s average. That’s blatantly clear. We have a better chance of winning the NFC East but we are toast soon after. The AFC is killing the league.

I’m still open minded to futures move. Will see what we come up with pre draft.

Fair enough. I guess it was the "I don't like it" comment that got me. Maybe I took it wrong. I am looking forward to the next moves.   

• Like 1