Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Someone Tell Daron Payne's dad to BE QUIET!!!!

Playaction2Sanders

Payne removed all his WFT images from his Instagram, apparently...I've never seen his Insta so I'm not sure what's missing. Someone did say he did this before the Cowboys game, though (not sure how accurate that is). Also, haven't spent any time in the Stadium forum so not sure if this was mentioned already lol...

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Payne removed all his WFT images from his Instagram, apparently...I've never seen his Insta so I'm not sure what's missing. Someone did say he did this before the Cowboys game, though (not sure how accurate that is). Also, haven't spent any time in the Stadium forum so not sure if this was mentioned already lol...

He did, he’s probably not thinking about wanting to sign here long term 

One thing I will bring to the table is, Allen doesn't have this great pro-bowl season if Payne isn't doing all the unseen dirty work in the trenches. In my opinion you sort out there disagreement and sign Payne to a new contract, I'd say a little under what Allen got. I see other posts on here saying Settle could do Payne's job, well if he could Settle would be getting a lot more reps than he has been getting, which then allows you to move on from Payne. 

• Like 3

I don't think two players who have been playing together since college on the d-line are going to drift apart over this.  They both came out and said it's not a big deal.  The two of them play complimentary to each other.

I personally would like to see them both on the line for years to come.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

I don't think two players who have been playing together since college on the d-line are going to drift apart over this.  They both came out and said it's not a big deal.  The two of them play complimentary to each other.

I personally would like to see them both on the line for years to come.

Me too. But I’d like to see the team be good more. So if we need to move Payne and Sweat… so be it.

• Like 4

There's probably a ton of what we saw on the sideline happening in practices, training camps, OTA's, the locker room etc etc.....we just don't see it on the sideline.  Not in any way suggesting it is okay or justified. It isn't and part of playing professional sports is the title "professional."  Just wanted to make the point that tempers flaring between two lineman who are down there getting battered and beaten on every snap is not totally shocking. 

Also, WFT is not going to be able to retain all these D-lineman, that is just a fact of the salary cap.  In order to keep your blue chip players paid enough to not leave, you have to give up some of the other players just under that top tier.  Every team goes through this.  It's on the front office and scouting team to bring in replacements that work financially either through FA or drafting talent that can develop in the remaining years of existing contracts of other players.  It's a dance every NFL team has to play.

Edited by NoCalMike

On 12/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, KDawg said:

So, what I haven’t seen talked about is that all of this coming to light sheds some much needed clarity on the defense’s issues working together: they don’t like each other.

I’m not talking every one of them or anything like that. I’m sure most of them get along. But there is obvious tension.

In retrospect, when these guys make a play I can’t recall many times that one of their teammates was excited for them. Or at least a fellow DL.

Tension like that makes it difficult to find success. And part of me wonders if Chase’s difficulties have been in part due to toxicity in that room.

All of this could be a one time thing that just dissipates. But Payne’s Dad being involved tells me there’s more to this and it’s something that has been brewing for awhile. 

I’m not even saying Payne is the problem. Let me be clear here. He may not be. But whoever the biggest issues are in that room I would think need to be removed.

We’ll have to trust Rivera to straighten that out.

I think you’re spot on with this.  I’ve noticed your point a number of times - the defense does really seem like a “team”.  They’re individuals out for individual goals, not team ones.  Little enthusiasm for each other’s accomplishments…which, with the right mentality, are actually TEAM accomplishments.  Could be coaching issues, player personality conflicts, or just the way younger players mesh with tenured (yet proven) coaches.  Regardless,  I really hope they get this $h!t fixed because the performance is unacceptable.  

On a side note, I haven’t posted here in a whiiiille.  But, I had to chime in on this point simply because of my agreement and my frustration with the root of what might be wrong with the defense.  I also remember you being mostly spot on with your read on team issues.  I might have disagreed with you a time or two in the mid-late 2000s when I was more active on the old board (I can’t remember for sure).  But, I definitely remember your levelheaded-ness and old school ES style of communicating your point.  Both are very refreshing.

• Thanks 1