Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Natives?

Reaper Skins

I've been noticing that alot of this team's playmakers and foundational pieces are guys who grew up or played their college ball in the area.

I know Ron and front office has made reference to it before, but picking guys who grew up with this team and are aware of its history really seems to be making an impact. 

They are playing with lots of pride right now and probably more in tune with what the fanbase has been dying to see for years...passion on the field.

For a front office that is trying to rebuild a franchise and re-engage the fanbase, this approach, while somewhat transparent, has been really effective and I applaud them for it.  I know they aren't exclusively picking their roster based off of this, but off the top of my head, our team has:

- Our Cinderella story QB Heineke from ODU

- Our wrecking ball d-line captain Allen from Stone Bridge High

- Our physical freak TE Logan Thomas from VA Tech

- Our highlight reel pass rusher Chase Young from Hyattsville, MD

- Both of our last two game winning playmakers  (CB Kendall Fuller and kicker Brian Johnson) are both from VA Tech

It's no surprise to me that most these guys are also the ones most jazzed up on gameday and hyping up their teammates from the sidelines.  They understand the importance of football for this part of the country.

For the longest time my biggest issue with the team was that the fans seemed to care about the team way more than any of the players did.  There was more passion in the stands than from 90% of the overpriced FA solutions brought in here with no ties to this team other than a paycheck.  That seems to be changing and it makes the team a hell of alot more fun to root for.

Ron is a two time coach of the year and an all around good guy, but stuff like this with his ability to motivate and inspire off-field bumps him up another level IMO.  He was the perfect hire for what ails this franchise and its starting to show.  His rallying of the fanbase after last nights game was perfectly timed and awesome to see.

I'm sure there are others on the roster from the area too.  Who did I miss?

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Thanks 1

Also Scott Turner! 

I was initially skeptical that the legacy hire would bite us in the face and be another example of the team choosing someone for their name vs. being the best person for the job, but he's been doing a great job getting guys open every week!  Ron and our players clearly believes in him and his scheme to give them a chance on gameday

39 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Logan Thomas grew up just outside Lynchburg, Va (Brookville High School)

you forgot Patterson

Yup Jaret Patterson!  From Glen Dale MD.  Highschool teammates with Chase Young, peseason champ and holds the college record with 8 rushing tds in 1 game right?

Edited by Reaper Skins

There has got to be something cool about playing for your hometown team. The DMV is pretty transient so I'm sure this area has a ton of mixed loyalties (when I was growing up everyone was pretty much a Redskins' fan, a Dallas' fan, or hated sports). Still, even though these players might be too young to really have experienced the glory years... it's got to be cool.