Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

I love this thread.  That game took it out of me; i was so wired that I slept terribly.  In any event, great team win when all was said and done.  A few thoughts:

1. I really like Gibson, and you can see him improving; there was a run last night where he really showed patience behind his blockers the way McCissic always does.  However, and this is a big however, they way he holds the ball must be corrected.  It's not high and tight enough, and he doesnt protect it well in traffic.  Can't understand why that hasnt been fixed yet.  
  2. Special teams has me concerned--big time.  And Carter is looking shaky as punt returner all of a sudden.  The blocked/returned PAT was so Redskins, it was hard to stomach.  
  3. I'm formally putting forth a proposal to change Shaka Toney's name to Shaka Khan.  This must be done.  
  4. Loved what I saw out of Taylor last night.  He is like our exorcist--all of the demons of this franchise game out to hunt last night, and he fought them off.  Really, really impressive performance from him, and I love the confidence he brings on offense and they way he elevates those around him.  With Scott Turner, my biggest complaint is that we dont need to take the ball out of his hands on third and short.  We could spread the field and let him scan options and if it's not there, scramble for the first.  We have to switch up our third and short looks--they have been holding us back during his entire tenure here.  
  5. That TD to Logan should have never, ever been overturned.  League office needs to explain that reversal.  There was not clear and convincing evidence that it wasn't a catch.  The standard around these reviews is inconsistent and incredibly frustrating.  As a general matter, the quality of officiating is in serious decline in the league and has been for quite some time.  Even the ball spots seem to be off routinely and were off last night on numerous occasions.  I can't recall a game or a season during which I've watched football where I've noticed the spotting to be off so consistently.  That's ref 101 type stuff.  
  6. Taylor should be our permanent starter next season.  We would be crazy not to build around the guy.  He can get us there.
Edited by skins4eva
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

-Best play of the game was the fan who threw Everett out of the stands. I'm not for fans touching players, but I'm also not for players jumping into opposing team's home stands. The fan wasn't overly violent, but he set the tone: This is our house. Get out. Loved it. 

At first I thought you were talking about Deshazor Everett.

Surprised you didn't mention him.

I know he was rusty when he came in and allowed that TD, but...

He's been doing that kind of thing at Safety for a while.

Does anyone think he deserves to be a backup Safety ?

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Seattle is bad, I think that is apparent.  Regardless of that, what I saw was the WFT starting to gel.  Gibson found a pace that was good for him, I saw more patience from him, but acceleration as well when the avenue is there.  I thought the o-line gave Heinicke ample time to find the open man, and when protection did break down Taylor was able to scramble or evade the tackle with some amazing body jukes.  Overall it just seemed like guys were more comfortable in their roles.  Defensively it seemed like guys were hustling harder, like it meant more to them.  I wonder how much the absence of Young and Sweat has to do with that.

In the end none of this will matter this season, as the odds for winning the NFC are astronomical.  Still nice to see the team have some success, and gives me hope that there are some pieces there to build upon.  I still don't think Heinicke is the man who will lead us back to the Super Bowl, and am worried the FO will become disillusioned. 

I will say this. It’s only been two games without either of them and the QBs were Newton, who is clearly done, and Wilson who also looks completely checked out. The defense played aggressive but the QBs certainly didn’t do themselves any favors.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

That TD to Logan should have never, ever been overturned.  League office needs to explain that reversal.  There was not clear and convincing evidence that it wasn't a catch. 

Disagree.  It wasn't evident from every angle they replayed, but there was one that clearly showed the ball moving (detached from grip) when it hit the ground.  I fully expected the reversal.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I will say this. It’s only been two games without either of them and the QBs were Newton, who is clearly done, and Wilson who also looks completely checked out. The defense played aggressive but the QBs certainly didn’t do themselves any favors.

What we aren't seeing though, is our ends rushing themselves out of the play.  Too often Chase and Sweat as well, get themselves so deep in the rush, it's taking one or both of them out of the play entirely.

6 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Disagree.  It wasn't evident from every angle they replayed, but there was one that clearly showed the ball moving (detached from grip) when it hit the ground.  I fully expected the reversal.

Doesn't the rule allow it to touch the ground, if the hand is beneath the ball, as it was ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

At first I thought you were talking about Deshazor Everett.

Surprised you didn't mention him.

I know he was rusty when he came in and allowed that TD, but...

He's been doing that kind of thing at Safety for a while.

Does anyone think he deserves to be a backup Safety ?

He's the ST captain.

25 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

So on 😧 1) Scowl; 2) Smile; 3) Curl     ?

That frown icon was *supposed* to be a D followed by a colon, but i guess grammar is frowned upon here.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Yes.

Payne/Curl are close.

Also, what do Allen and Payne have to do with Scowl and Smile?

Have you seen them?  Allen scowls and Payne smiles.

• Haha 2

My confidence in Heinicke continues to grow. Every drive, I'm believing he's going to lead us down the field for a score- a far cry from most of the guys we've had at QB over the past 20+ years. He had an ill advised, force to Thomas that was picked, but other than that he was fine. He knows this offense so well and looks so comfortable in it that there's no way I believe we're in a playoff run if Fitzpatrick was our QB instead of Heinicke.

Big claps for the O-line again. To be on your 4th starter of the season at center- which is unheard of- and hardly miss a beat is quite impressive work. O-line coach John Matsko deserves big credit and his work should not go unnoticed. Same goes for the D-line, as they have actually stepped it up significantly without Sweat and Young. Obviously, Allen and Payne are the anchors of the D-line, but the rotation of Smith-Williams, Toohill and Toney have made the absence of Young and Sweat almost benign. A ton of credit should also go to D-line coach, Sam Mills III. The D-line is playing at it's best right now and Mills has them rockin' at the right time.    

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's the ST captain.

Yes, I'm aware of his ST value. And he is not irreplaceable.

Apke is another player who basically is on the team, exclusively because of ST.

Hudson may be another

How many roster spots like that can we afford to use up ?

I especially am not a fan of Everett. Not playing Safety anyway. I think Reaves is better.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

Listening to Grant and Danny. That pass to Carter was for him and not Thomas. Thomas thought it was overthrown and jumped up pulled his arms down after realizing it wasn't for him. Grant said that was a great throw and how Taylor was able to see and get the ball to Grant. 

Which pass was that? Or more specifically which quarter was it in? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yes, I'm aware of his ST value.

Apke is another player who basically is on the team, exclusively because of ST.

Hudson may be another

How many roster spots like that can we afford to use up ?

I especially am not a fan of Everett. Not playing Safety anyway. I think Reaves is better.

Then why is Reaves not on any roster?

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Then why is Reaves not on any roster?

He's on our PS.

So he may not be far from getting on the field.

And my opinion was based on Reaves' play on the field in regular season. More than just a casual observation.

It doesn't mean he's a bad player, not being on the 53.

We've seen this scenario play out quite a bit actually : the fans scream for someone to be either benched or cut, and the coaches wait more patiently for them to pan out, and said player eventually does lose his job. It's possible